Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hood River?

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Hood River?

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Headed to the Gorge in 3 weeks what size suit should I bring? I'm from Houston and I hate the cold so take that into account.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hood River?

Postby bnthere » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:04 pm

3/2 for the river is plenty, and your warmest plus boots (maybe gloves hood) for the coast.

locals will ride the river in tops and boardies, but you're not gonna think its that warm coming from Htown

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core

Postby Windstoked » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Dress for the swim, not the kiting. It can be pleasant enough to kite without a wetsuit there in summer, but the river can still be fairly cold. I remember helping rescue a young woman wearing a bikini from the channel up towards the White Salmon bridge, and by the time we got her to shore she was hypothermic. Even if you're a good kiter and almost never fall or have to body drag, stuff happens. I prefer a full 4/3 and stopping occasionally to fill it with water to having to end a session early because I'm getting cold.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:34 am

well, right now it is 102 air temp and the river is 71
so a 3/2 shorty is more than enough even for the swim
in most places the river is 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile across so you are never really far from shore

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:45 am

Unless you have zero body fat wearing a wet suit is going to roast you. Hood will be perfect the time you are going. I kite there each summer (near end of July) and have never worn a wetsuit. Just board shorts and a rash guard to stop sun burn. Every 30 minutes or so I actually stop and sink down into the water to cool off. The water is not warm but it's not anywhere cold enough for a wetsuit. Someone above said 4/3 which is crazy. You would overheat in 10 minutes in the heat in Hood.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:38 am

I usually kite in Como Lake and I totally agree with Windstoked, dress for the swim. We had several cases of hypothermia here in my home spot during the past years, also in very hot summer day. The water is never really "warm", if for any reason you're going to remain in the water a long time it's a real problem if you don't wear a wetsuit. Imagine you can't reach the coast swimming because you get hurt or something like that, If you're windsurfing, in the worst case you can just sit on the board and wait. If you're kiteboarding you have to wait IN the water and after one hour or two it's very easy to risk your life by hypothermia.
Last edited by pmaggie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:33 am

The advice for right now might not be the advice for the Gorge generally. The water temp now is at a record high and the weather is very hot. Back in the good old years I probably windsurfed 300 days there, and can count the number of days I went without a wetsuit on one hand. Also, I should add that I'm about average, in terms of what I wear and what others were. Some dress warmer, others dress lighter.

Some days in summer it can stay pretty cool and I remember one summer, not like this year though, where I was in a full suit almost the whole summer. Even for this year though, if they hit a spell of cooler weather it could be cool. Keep in mind that with super low humidity, water evaporates off you fast, so that makes it feel much cooler when wet. Very different from Texas humidity. As for the Oregon coast, which often blows when heat shuts down the Gorge, a full wetsuit is a necessity, but I never wore a hood or gloves there.

Peter

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks everyone so I need to bring a full 3/2, spring, and a heater top. Just to be on the safe side. I'll be wearing boots so my feet will be warm as I mainly do wakestyle riding. I personally don't ride with hood and gloves unless it's in the 50's here so Im sure if I hit the coast I wont need those.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:26 am

Windstoked wrote:Dress for the swim, not the kiting.
Although very true, I was just up there a week ago, and my spring-suit was perfect (I'm from Florida, so Cold weather isn't my friend) but I did see some dudes (guessing locals or Canadians) in board shorts and tees, not even a top. But I though about heading to Manzanitas for a coastal sesh but the air being a bit nippy, water temp @ 52 degrees and only have brought my spring-suit I decided to take a locals advice and pass.

Sick place to kite though. Great people.

artemis_clyde_frog
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby artemis_clyde_frog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:12 am

It's been warm in hood river, no need for a wetsuit as long as the air is warm.

http://www.iwasphotographed.com/Wind/Ev ... -nX75MNk/A

Return to “Kitesurfing”