Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Forum for kitesurfers
Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Lanc wrote:Its not as easy to get into as it looks so you must really WANT to do it. I've had a number of friends over the years who said it LOOKED awesome, went for lessons, bought gear then gave up because they could not get it right after three or four attempts.
serious?

I think it´s one of the easiest sports to learn, in particular if we think of it as an extreme sport

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:09 pm

jats2k9 wrote:I thought I was crazy because I plan depending on the wind. I can see I'm not the only addict here. By the way I always get nervous the first few seconds when arriving at the spot.
Me too, especially if the wind is cranking. I think it shows a lack of complacency and a healthy respect for everything that can go wrong in and around the water. The nerves are soon abated, and the mind cleared by going through the confidence-building ritual of rigging the gear and doing the pre-flight checks. Once the kite is in the air and flying properly, the nerves have been transformed into excitement and the fun begins. :D

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:20 pm

brettbrew wrote:I know that as a newbie it will be a Long, exciting journey before i can do anything of 'epic' proportions kitesurfing, and I am excited to just be able to move a few yards with my kite! However, I have to ask the more experienced users of this forum? Is it as adrenalin -pumping and exhilarating as it looks? Please share any stories you have of your first time standing/first jump/first trick!
don't hold your breath. not all of guys who took the lessons are really gone on kiting. you'll be surprised how much people have lost their interest in kiting and lost their money on reselling the gear!

so, first try then buy...

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Bille wrote:I bin flying Hang gliders since 1977, and para gliders since 1990 ; the
Kite Boarding is "Almost" as Fun as both, with 1/10th the risk

Bille
The great thing about kitesurfing is you can reduce the risks a lot by limiting the conditions you ride in and how you ride. Paragliding does appeal to me but the risk factor is too great, seems there are too many ways to get seriously injured or killed by things out of your control. Kiting can still kill you but if you are sensible you can turn it into a relatively safe sport

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 am

In the beginning of my kiting was the most exciting. The day I learned to say up wind was the best moment I can remember as I sang songs to myself in complete joy realizing I was independant or very soon on my way. I also became an addict to the sport and sitll kite over 200 days a year. With so many days on the water, it loses some of the adrenaline and became my exercise routine. It has changed my life for the better or worse (dont care) and just about everything revolves around it still. Some of the best parts of kitesurfing is the atmosphere you create with the community before and after your sessions! I love being a familiar face and being with others who have prioritized their live similar.

Happy lifestyle hunting! Perhaps the best part.

Metaphor_
Medium Poster

Postby Metaphor_ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 am

eree wrote:
brettbrew wrote:I know that as a newbie it will be a Long, exciting journey before i can do anything of 'epic' proportions kitesurfing, and I am excited to just be able to move a few yards with my kite! However, I have to ask the more experienced users of this forum? Is it as adrenalin -pumping and exhilarating as it looks? Please share any stories you have of your first time standing/first jump/first trick!
don't hold your breath. not all of guys who took the lessons are really gone on kiting. you'll be surprised how much people have lost their interest in kiting and lost their money on reselling the gear!

so, first try then buy...
I think if the guy's already wickedly excited, he's going to love it.

Kiteboarding is the closest thing to actually being superhuman. You're turning wind into propulsion. You're amplifying that propulsion by controlling your kite and board. And you're sending yourself where you want to be without lifting a foot, and without any machinery. Even "mowing the lawn" (riding back and forth, both hands on the bar, no tricks) is magical for the new rider.

Get real good and you can walk on water, or soar in the sky. How awesome is that?!

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Simply "YES"

Gioro_T
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Various
Location: They don't call them the GREAT Lakes for nothin'...

Postby Gioro_T » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 pm

jbdc wrote:
jats2k9 wrote:I thought I was crazy because I plan depending on the wind. I can see I'm not the only addict here. By the way I always get nervous the first few seconds when arriving at the spot.
Me too, especially if the wind is cranking. I think it shows a lack of complacency and a healthy respect for everything that can go wrong in and around the water. The nerves are soon abated, and the mind cleared by going through the confidence-building ritual of rigging the gear and doing the pre-flight checks. Once the kite is in the air and flying properly, the nerves have been transformed into excitement and the fun begins. :D
Hah'HA !

That's hilarious ! ... I go through the same type of anxiety-turned-into-bliss at the beginning of a session !

Return to “Kitesurfing”