North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Harness that Doesn't push up

Postby dandaka » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:30 pm

1. Good harness is matter of taste and your physical characteristics.
2. Never buy them online. Go and try to shop with best choices of models and sizes. Hook and try to hang inside. Buy most comfortable one. If you can try riding your friends harnesses, its even better.
3. If you chosen bigger size, it will go up, squeeze you chest, make breathing difficult, you lose all energy, session finished. Try smaller size.
4. If you're overpowered, you try to put kite to 12, it pulls you up, harness gets up. Try smaller kite. Try to keep it on 45°.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:47 pm

I agree it's most probably your technique. You need to have kite pulling perpindicular to your body (or as much as you can) rather than in an upwards direction.

Keep kite lower, lean back more, push hips forward and straighten out and use your legs more :thumb:

Harness choice is still important, I find ones with a separate strap that holds the spreader bar down helps and important to get one that feels comfortable. It took me 3 years and 3 harnesses to finally get used to a waist now I can wear any waist harness. Tightness is down to personal preference but with good technique it doesn't need to be done up mega tight - and even the best riders still have the harness ride up when the mess up :lol:

If you can get to a shop try a few on, use a shop that has a bar that you can hook into, once you have found the most comfortable with a perpendicular pull just go practice!!

MarcThompson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca; Praia Seca; Araruama; Arubinha; Búzios.
Favorite Beaches: Praia Seca
Style: Freeride
Gear: CORE Riot XR2 11, Slingshot Darko.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MarcThompson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:53 pm

I've tried recently the ION Apex. It was very confy!

I don't like my current harness (it is a Liquid Force), despite the nice security system (QR on the back). It was always rising up to my chest, no matter how tight it was set. I solved the problem using a chest vest. The extra volume helps a lot, and also adds security.

Cheers!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:07 pm

DaKine Nitrous Shorts for sure, great harness.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 pm

joe_mgh wrote:These are amazing:

https://shop.ride-engine.com/harnesses/ ... ustom-fit/
Yes Engine Custom Fit Carbon fiber harnesses DO NOT RIDE UP. It simply would be impossible due to the fit. I will never buy an over the counter harness again. Love these things!

https://shop.ride-engine.com/harnesses/

Certeza
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle Freestyle

Postby Certeza » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Laughingman wrote:

Yes Engine Custom Fit Carbon fiber harnesses DO NOT RIDE UP. It simply would be impossible due to the fit. I will never buy an over the counter harness again. Love these things!

The concept of these is great! Custom molded carbon fiber should prevent slide up for most riders. But.... The rudimentary rubber sleeve nylon rope entry system doesn't instill much confidence.

IMO, he should pull together a bit of funding and complete a design that doesn't seem so much like a prototype. I don't want to feel like my harness is gonna fail when I'm inverted and 20' off the ground.

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Certeza wrote:
Laughingman wrote:

The concept of these is great! Custom molded carbon fiber should prevent slide up for most riders. But.... The rudimentary rubber sleeve nylon rope entry system doesn't instill much confidence.

IMO, he should pull together a bit of funding and complete a design that doesn't seem so much like a prototype. I don't want to feel like my harness is gonna fail when I'm inverted and 20' off the ground.
you can order it with wathever the straps ou want, just tell him what spreader bar you use. i'm going to get one done with the ION spreader bar setup cause this is the one i like the most

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Certeza wrote:
Laughingman wrote:

I hear yah about the new spreader bar attachment, it could use some refinement, I ordered the new carbon spreader bar with the sliding hook setup and will be using it with the conventional straps which are already installed on my harness. So the rope thing is not that big of a deal since I am already hooking to rope anyhow. I use 1/4" AM Steel, they use this rope for winches so I have a fair amount of confidence in it.
If I was you and you don't like the idea of the new carbon bar, I would simply go with conventional straps and use your own bar and pad. it works very well, I have been using the harness this way for the last 3 months without any discomfort.

Certeza
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle Freestyle

Postby Certeza » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Rotule wrote:
you can order it with wathever the straps ou want, just tell him what spreader bar you use. i'm going to get one done with the ION spreader bar setup cause this is the one i like the most
That was sort of the point. His outside-of-the-box spreader bar concept is good too. A wide flat bar would prevent the bar from rolling as much. Not sure that I really trust a carbon fiber bar as much as a steel bar, but that is a different discussion. Anyway, the point was that I shouldn't be expected to shop for a harness and spreader system separately. He has figured out the carbon molded back brace really well, and the rest of the harness seems well constructed. The spreader system still seem like a prototype. He needs to offer the complete finished solution.

Return to “Kitesurfing”