Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Evo vs Fuse

Postby hmattar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Hello Guys.
I had a rebel last year(13m 2012) and did a demo on the new evo 12m.
I really liked the kite, seemed quite faster than the rebel, nice jumping but I think it's worse in the upwind department. Bar pressure was perfect.
I'm a heavy guy(105kg) and this will be my small kite to use from 16-26 knots(i also have a 17m vxr).

About the fuse, the only one I can find to demo is a 10m, and I remember the 2012 rebels changing a lot between sizes, so I'm not confident to demo a 10 and buy a 12m.

I don't wanna go back to a 5 line kite.
I'm a freerider, don't do surf or unhooked. Just looking for a kite to jump high with a good hangtime and easy to go upwind.

How's the bottom end of these two kites compare? And how about jumping, hangtime and upwind?

North is doing a special price on fuse, it's us$300 cheaper than evo.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: Evo vs Fuse

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:11 pm

The Evo and the Fuse are very different kites.

The short answer is that I think you will be more happy with the performance of the Fuse. I wouldn't hesitate to demo the 10 as a test for the 12m... Though the 12 will obviously be a bit more powerful and a bit slower turning they are not dramatically different kites.

Coming off the Rebel the Fuse will be a little more natural of a change... They are a very similar shape.

The Fuse gets to the edge of the window and goes upwind really well whereas the Evo (as you noticed) tends to sit deeper in the window, which makes for a slightly more stable pull (especially when unhooked), but definitely inhibits upwindability.

They both jump really well, but the Fuse is probably a bit better for hooked-in sent jumps. The bottom end is probably pretty similar, though the Evo may feel a bit gruntier as it sits further back in the window while the Fuse will go upwind a bit better.

The Evo may be a bit quicker turning. The Fuse definitely has lighter bar pressure.

Hope this helps. As always, try to demo first. As I said, they are very different kites.

-Dan

hmattar
Medium Poster

Postby hmattar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks a lot for your input Dan!
Local North dealer lend me his 10m fuse for demoing this weekend. I hope there's enought wind for me since the season just started. I'll post how it goes if the wind comes!

I was just afraid of testing different sizes because last year the 12m and 13m rebels were two different machines! 13m seemed like 2 sizes bigger than 12m.

Dan-at-North wrote:The Evo and the Fuse are very different kites.

The short answer is that I think you will be more happy with the performance of the Fuse. I wouldn't hesitate to demo the 10 as a test for the 12m... Though the 12 will obviously be a bit more powerful and a bit slower turning they are not dramatically different kites.

Coming off the Rebel the Fuse will be a little more natural of a change... They are a very similar shape.

The Fuse gets to the edge of the window and goes upwind really well whereas the Evo (as you noticed) tends to sit deeper in the window, which makes for a slightly more stable pull (especially when unhooked), but definitely inhibits upwindability.

They both jump really well, but the Fuse is probably a bit better for hooked-in sent jumps. The bottom end is probably pretty similar, though the Evo may feel a bit gruntier as it sits further back in the window while the Fuse will go upwind a bit better.

The Evo may be a bit quicker turning. The Fuse definitely has lighter bar pressure.

Hope this helps. As always, try to demo first. As I said, they are very different kites.

-Dan

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeh man the fuse does sound your cup of tea hey. Evo for more all round, but of surf, bit of unhook, boosts okay, but for hooked in boosting freeride can go past the rebel or fuse in the north range anyway :D

hmattar
Medium Poster

Postby hmattar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Ended up buying the fuse and i`m really happy!
Tried the evo once more, although it`s faster and easy to jump the fuse have a light bar, crazy upwind and floaty jumps. It just feels not as agressive as the Evo it feels nicer and safe to go high!

Thanks!!!

hmattar
Medium Poster

Postby hmattar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Even with 15 -16 knots and 105kg I was able to jump
Attachments