Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who is responsible for kite when landing?

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who is responsible for kite when landing?

Postby JGTR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

So I'm left to imagine the only scenario where launching with a kite in the air is the same safe as a self launch is if there are two expert kiters so well practiced
Exactly. Its very safe if you know what you are doing. It is not being lazy and definately not incompetence as RichadM states - sometimes there is no other option if there are no tether points and no other riders.

In addition rider with kite in the air doesn't do any "flipping" of kites, they just stand there and get given the kite, all they do is hold it. Same when landing - the other rider does all the work. If I'm flying my kite I will not mess about turning kites over as that's when problems happen!!!
Kooks like to copy the expert kiters, if they see them launch with a kite in the air, that's how they'll do it do. They don't know any better.
We were all kooks once :roll:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 pm

edt wrote:
the OP came here to prove to his friend (perhaps ex-friend by now) that he had to pay for the lines. But once it proved the opposite he left.
I knew of a guy the "fell" through a door (drunk) and refused to pay the host (my friend) for the door because my friend made more money than him..and OP had been drinking the host's Cognac. I guess people will find a way to justify anything if they are stingy enough.

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen.
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca
Style: airstyle, oldschool
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kitesurfvacation.com

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 pm

You can not blame others if they are helping you!

Jaime

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm

JGTR wrote:.............
.....Its very safe if you know what you are doing. It is not being lazy and definately not incompetence as RichadM states - sometimes there is no other option if there are no tether points and no other riders.
Except possibly in some extremely rare situation, there is no NEED to be exposed to all the MANY extra potential problems which can develop and which can then cause involvement with one of the MOST DANGEROUS situations encountered in kiting, UNLESS the kiter is too INCOMPETENT to self land or launch reasonably safely.

Obviously, if conditions are so sketchy that self launching isn't reasonably safe for a COMPETENT kiter, adding the complications and increased risk involved with the subject procedure is especially foolhardy and if a competent kiter COULD reasonably safely self launch, then the ONLY reason to involve a second kiter with the subject procedure would be if they are too INCOMPETENT to do so.

And, since putting the kite down in the water is ALWAYS an option when landing, the only reason to instead increase risk with the subject procedure is because the kiter is too LAZY to want to deal with the INCONVENIENCE involved.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:37 pm

Ok I see your point but I have used this method many times before, always beenn safe, never had any problems and no one has been hurt. There is a right way and wrong way to do it, the OP failed to take responsibility for his actions/kite and was IMO was not paying attention. Launching while flying can be done, not because I am lazy or incompetent but because I choose to do it. Last 2 guys at the beach - I'll get a launch then I'll launch them. Mostly everything in kitesurfing involves needlessly exposing yourself to danger, how you manage that is what counts.

Would I recommed it to a newbie? Would I let someone I didn't know launch me while flying? Would I let the least experienced kiter do the launching?

No

But I don't need someone telling me that I'm lazy and incompetent because I choose to do something that they don't like doing :nono:

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:27 am

JGTR wrote:......
Secondly, the kite could accidentally snap out of the hands of the helper.
Aslong as rider is hooked into safety and downwind of launcher flying kite then if this happens it not a problem.
If you don't know how to launch a kite then you really shouldn't be kitesurfing.
I'm interested in how it works to have a launcher UPWIND of you when he lets go of your kite since it won't be in the wind window.

Although I don't completely agree with your second statement, I must admit that it does have some merit.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:42 am

So the launcher should approach from downwind of the person wanting a launch? I always approach from upwind as the down wind area of a live kite is a danger zone should anything go wrong?????

Also its better that the launcher starts upwind and the rider walks round because if the launcher is too far downwind when the rider applies tension to his lines the kite can produce quite a force which could cause the launcher problems especially as he is flying a kite!

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 pm

When driving, who is responsible for everything?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:18 pm

PAFF wrote:When driving, who is responsible for everything?
The bar?

Return to “Kitesurfing”