*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 34
Sometimes when I travel I go to destinations with a lot of wind. I was wondering if a 6m is worth it or not and wanted to head your experiences. Under what circumstances do you use it? What do you use it for? (i.e. do youuse it for the same tricks, riding style, etc. than your main kite?)
I'm an intermediate rider progressing on hooked tricks, and would only like the kite that small if it is god to continue progressing. :roll:

Thanks


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am
Posts: 402
You use it when the wind calls for it. Better than sitting on beach because there's to much wind. I'm big, my smallest kite is a 8 mtr. good to middle maybe upper 30's.Do I do the same "moves" on my 8 as bigger sizes, no. But I do things on my 8 that aren't as much fun on bigger kites,like loops. It's just another kite to rig when the wind requires it.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm
Posts: 1406
I love my 6m, I use it when the wind is honking but also when others are out on 7/8m kites - its good to have the option as a lot of people only use 6m kites when its 30+ knots but they do work in 24+ knots.

I fly mine on a big bar and its very quick which is great for kite looping as the kite loops so fast its easy to do loops and not get spanked, jumping is also fun but always takes me a few attempts to get dialled into the faster speed - but what is most fun is turning and carving, I can really throw the kite about and do some nice toe to heel carves and vice versa linking them all up with down loops in the turns as well. There's just something about small kites that I love, I can be totally powered up but never overpowered, at the top end I can just use my body weight to edge the kite out unlike a bigger kite which will keep on pulling. I don't really do the big floaty rotations etc as the kite is very quick and very easy to misdirect, also it doesn't have the. Float of a. Bigger kite kinda drops you pretty quick if you don't do a loop to catch you!

I'm 90 kg and use my 6 quite abit :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 5639
Location: Denmark
It very much depends on what you do, and where.

For many, the 6m2 IS the main kite :thumb:

F.ex Cape Town waves, where the 6m2 is the most used size in the summer.

For the light wind days maybe an 8m2, and of course you need smaller kites than 6m2 too.
I've been overpowered with my 5m2 often, down there.

Here in Denmark, a 6m2 is also sometimes too big for me (78kg), so I could never get away with such a size as my smallest kite.

4 and 5m2 can be used relatively often when good conditions, but you CAN get away with a 5m2 typically, so the compromise many chooses.

7m2 is by far the most used kitesize around here in waves, for most waveriders though.


So for me a 7m2 is a "medium" kitesize, and the main kite of course :rollgrin:


You are talking about twintips, so you dont need a really small kite, because you avoid riding waves..

And at your location, it seems that a 6m2 is NOT the main kite - so must assume you have very low wind in your local area :naughty:

So it is all about where you come from, and what style you perform (waves or tt), and what you seek and enjoy the most.

Some LOVE the days when it is windy, and live for those days, and have small kites just for that, even if not their most used kitesize.

That is another angle, and I think it goes for most kitesurferes actually 8)

So instead of having a really big kite that just collects dust because you dont want to ride with that "dog" - you have a really small kite (or kites) instead and live for those days !

Talking about typical low pressure areas here, with all wind conditions possible, from 0 to 45 knots or more, without being "gusty" (like other low wind areas experience, as high winds only occur when "stormy").


By the way, JGTR is correct - a small kite has a much bigger windrange, and it has sufficient power without ever feeling overpowered.
One has to try to understand this I think.

:D Peter


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:47 am
Posts: 475
Peter_Frank wrote:
It very much depends on what you do, and where.

For many, the 6m2 IS the main kite :thumb:

F.ex Cape Town waves, where the 6m2 is the most used size in the summer.

For the light wind days maybe an 8m2, and of course you need smaller kites than 6m2 too.
I've been overpowered with my 5m2 often, down there.

Here in Denmark, a 6m2 is also sometimes too big for me (78kg), so I could never get away with such a size as my smallest kite.

4 and 5m2 can be used relatively often when good conditions, but you CAN get away with a 5m2 typically, so the compromise many chooses.

7m2 is by far the most used kitesize around here in waves, for most waveriders though.


So for me a 7m2 is a "medium" kitesize, and the main kite of course :rollgrin:


You are talking about twintips, so you dont need a really small kite, because you avoid riding waves..

And at your location, it seems that a 6m2 is NOT the main kite - so must assume you have very low wind in your local area :naughty:

So it is all about where you come from, and what style you perform (waves or tt), and what you seek and enjoy the most.

Some LOVE the days when it is windy, and live for those days, and have small kites just for that, even if not their most used kitesize.

That is another angle, and I think it goes for most kitesurferes actually 8)

So instead of having a really big kite that just collects dust because you dont want to ride with that "dog" - you have a really small kite (or kites) instead and live for those days !

Talking about typical low pressure areas here, with all wind conditions possible, from 0 to 45 knots or more, without being "gusty" (like other low wind areas experience, as high winds only occur when "stormy").


By the way, JGTR is correct - a small kite has a much bigger windrange, and it has sufficient power without ever feeling overpowered.
One has to try to understand this I think.

:D Peter


Wow, you're making a lot of us jealous:-) I have an older 6m Rebel, but the newer 7m has a lot of range and is good for 99% of local Long Island conditions with a twin tip.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:54 am
Posts: 219
Location: Vancouver, Canada
If you are riding a surfboard and aren't a heavy person you can use a 6m very often.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 5639
Location: Denmark
There is a huge difference between twintips and waves, as you can ride somewhat overpowered and have fun on a tt, but on a waveboard you HAVE to be powered "okay" which is not too much, otherwise the kite will dictate what you do in the waves, and not the other way around :roll:

We have many days where you can not ride even with a 21m2 foil and raceboard - but so what, we dont go out on these days, but wait till the next day where it can be a 6m2 day again (or 4 or 9 or 12m2) :naughty:

:D Peter


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 387
Peter_Frank wrote:

We have many days where you can not ride even with a 21m2 foil and raceboard - but so what, we dont go out on these days, but wait till the next day where it can be a 6m2 day again (or 4 or 9 or 12m2) :naughty:

:D Peter



what kites (brand/model) do you fly Peter?

Curious to know what 4m you use?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm
Posts: 1406
Slappysan wrote:
If you are riding a surfboard and aren't a heavy person you can use a 6m very often.


I'm fat and ride a twin tip, I use my 6m alot, normal UK conditions


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: 6m kites. your experiences
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:36 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Posts: 2484
Location: The Naki
Hard to answer you question not knowing your weight or the wind speeds you are talking about.

For me at 82kg on a mutant TT I don't get the 6m out until it hits 30+knots.

There are not many days locally i need to get on the 6m. typically is winter storms.

8m is probably a better travelling size as you can still hold it to high 30's if need be.

As far as tricks are concerned 6m kites are a lot faster and punish you very quickly with small errors in bar input. I doubt you will progress trick wise on a 6m unless kite loops are your on desired trick list for the day.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alamos_kiter, Bing [Bot], briansuntrax, keviene, KVL, pmaggie and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group