Forum for kitesurfers
dzincha
Medium Poster
Gear: RRD obsessions
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: RRD obsession 2012 and 2013....

Postby dzincha » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Got it. Putted 11 year onto 13. Size is same, only LE on 13 year is wider. It causes speed drop i believe.
Is 10.5 2013 much slower than 2012?
I got 10.5,2012 And it is lifting nice And long. It seems that it is not needed to upgrade 10.5 to 2013.

dzincha
Medium Poster

Postby dzincha » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Today got a session on ice with 7m2,2013.
It loks flatter un sky. When BAR is out kite flaps a bit, but without sound. Didn't SAW this on 12 ir 11 year.
Maybe upwind is better, but hard to see- on ice all got nice upwind.
Lift And hangtime will ne tested on water.
Bag misses front fixing Lines for pump,harness.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Been thanked: 0

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:20 am

I would have to disagree with some of the posts saying the 2012 Obsession sits deep in the wind window. Granted everyone has their own opinions, and perhaps it comes down to kite tuning as well. When someone first gets their RRD bar, they might not get the info that normally the trim line needs to be tuned by about 10 hrs of flying.

If left untuned, it really can make a difference in the power delivery. It sits a little deeper than it should but nothing crazy. I found it still sits pretty far upwind and can easily overfly you in lighter breezes. It takes a lot of extra work and timing to try and have fun in the waves (it does not drift down the line). It can be drifted slightly for short periods if you can learn to set it up for these periods and then regain control before it just falls tot he water. That's just my experience. I still find they fly great tuned or not and go upwind better than anything else I've tried (zephyr, insticnt, switchblade, crossbow, new contras, convert, renegade, evo, rebel, star, envy, flight, razor, cypher). I think lots of kites have great pros about them. I liked the solid stable feel of the zephyr in light winds, but if I paid attention to my 13.5 Obsession and was actually out kiting and not standing around chit chatting with my kite in the sky, the Obsession did everything I need it to do. I felt it faster than the zephyr, just not as stable when standing around flying the kite.

Now once the bar is tuned, the Obsession sits very forward in the wind window. It can be even more likely to drop out of the sky if it is light and you are just standing around, but it is fine with a little apparent wind. The bar pressure I find to be among the lightest I've mentioned. The 2014 Evo has similarly light bar pressure, (again my opinion). I find the cabrinhas to have heavy bar pressure. I first hated the Obsessions because I couldn't feel a kite flying in my hands based on the bar pressure but once I learned the kite, I could find it and make it reactive or slow. I honestly felt the

The 2012's boost really well and have some good floaty hangtimes but I've only flown the 2013s a few times. Thinking back, on a gusty day, I did have some glides I was not expecting. I couldn't respond on other characteristics except slightly higher bar pressure on the 2013s. I think the LE is thinner but in all honestly, I could mess around and let the kite drift more than I could on the 2012s, but this was not in ocean waves, just some big choppy waves in a sound.

dzincha
Medium Poster

Postby dzincha » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Edit:
Tested 11 year,7m2 on ice- it also flaps a bit a when BAR fully out. And it is faster than 13year. AR maybe a bit higher on11 year.

dzincha
Medium Poster

Postby dzincha » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:40 am

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”