Best Bar Elbow Break

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Best Bar Elbow Break

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:49 pm

This was fun. 16m slacked out on a wave and when I went to power it off the water the elbow shot off like a rocket. This 55cm bar had the option of holes on the sides which allowed it to go to 58cm (or so I thought) ...but apparently the torque was too much for it.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Bar Elbow Break

Postby davesails7 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:20 pm

NYKiter wrote:This 55cm bar had the option of holes on the sides which allowed it to go to 58cm (or so I thought) ...but apparently the torque was too much for it.
What year best bar is this? I don't think any of the best bars have ever had the option to adjust the bar length?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Yea- I just noticed it a few months ago and I was really stoked. I am fairly certain its an 07 bar. Made my 16m turn real easy. Each elbow has 3 channels total, one on the top and one on either side (and one on the bottom of course). Looks like the inside ones would yield a 50cm bar. Pretty nice option for a best bar. I was considering putting a hose clamp on it to keep it from cracking but probably not too smart. Made the coolest noise when it let go...glad my face was not in its flight path... :lol:

cowboy
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cowboy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 pm

As far as Im aware but since at least 2007 Best have always had varying sized bars for larger or smaller kites, there hasnt been the option to switch the lines round on the bar ends.

2007 bar definately shouldnt have had the line coming out from the side of the bar ends, and definately is not a design option to make a 55cm bar into 58cm

for all those thinking of alterations of bars plese refer to manuals, which are stil available online for kit dating back to 2006

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Manuals

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 am

Really....sure looks like it to me....time to call hong kong :baby:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:45 am

Bummer. Designed for it or not, I would have tried it too, if I wanted get a little more throw out of a bar. Is it fixable or is it FUBAR? The older Best bars are pretty cheap and readily available now, so if it can't be put back together, you should be able to get another bar to salvage the lines and other parts.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:31 am

Given the nature of the angles inside the channels, it seems apparent that they are meant to accommodate the various sizes....what other use could they have?

Anyhow I harvested several bars and now have what I call my 'slingforce' bar...mix and match I always say....

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:52 am

Nice. I have a BestShot myself :lol: By the time I am done tearing stuff up I will probably also end up with a SlingStar, and I helped my buddy build an IDS Frankenstien that cannot be combined into inteligable names. So far, my Compstick has stayed pure, but never underestimate the powers or redneckery. :lol:

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Excellent.

I have a cabshot too that I attempted to put a north vario cleat on but the slingy rope limits the depower distance... :pirate:

cowboy
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cowboy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Just cause you think by the look of something, doesnt mean that it was designed for what you want / think it should do!

I know what the bar looks like as Ive still got one in my shed, but never thought for one minute that even when I started kiting that it should be up to the task of what you tried. More from the fact that there were (as is now) 3 different bar sizes available

Though this does serve as a pointer for others with the same bar to not try the same as they could have similar or worse scenario that you experience. Glad you managed to fix your bar with spares you had

Return to “Kitesurfing”