Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby GraemeF » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 am

They tell me the bar pressure is better (more) than last year, but that changes with the settings, but to me it still felt like a fairy boys wand, I don't like light bar pressure, but then I'm on a permanent course of hetracil, spit nails, cut down trees, and press wild flowers.. :wink:

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:55 pm

GraemeF wrote:They tell me the bar pressure is better (more) than last year, but that changes with the settings, but to me it still felt like a fairy boys wand, I don't like light bar pressure, but then I'm on a permanent course of hetracil, spit nails, cut down trees, and press wild flowers.. :wink:
:lol: ...I guess I like the "fairy boys wand," but I'm grateful SS did not choose to market it that way.

Graeme, what do you fly, RPMs? If so, curious how you'd compare the flight characteristics of the 2013 RPM vs. the 2014 Rally. I regularly get torn between both, and right now have a mixed quiver. (My 7M RPM and the 14M Rally are solid....I'm always up in the air on if my middle 10M should be an RPM or a Rally.)

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fatfish98 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
GraemeF wrote:They tell me the bar pressure is better (more) than last year, but that changes with the settings, but to me it still felt like a fairy boys wand, I don't like light bar pressure, but then I'm on a permanent course of hetracil, spit nails, cut down trees, and press wild flowers.. :wink:
:lol: ...I guess I like the "fairy boys wand," but I'm grateful SS did not choose to market it that way.

Graeme, what do you fly, RPMs? If so, curious how you'd compare the flight characteristics of the 2013 RPM vs. the 2014 Rally. I regularly get torn between both, and right now have a mixed quiver. (My 7M RPM and the 14M Rally are solid....I'm always up in the air on if my middle 10M should be an RPM or a Rally.)
That just depends what style of riding you want to do.
I have RPM 2013 in 7, 9 & 12 and have used the 12m 2014 Rally and might just switch to the Rally's because the jumping is much better and all transitions have more 'hover' time.
If you are progressing into unhooked and welly boots then the RPM is a must but if you want and easy freeride style of kite then the Rally is the one.
Oddly for me, I really want a 9m Rally for huge airs in 25 to 30 knots.
Bar pressure is light on the outer setting and increases progressively the further inward you go.

With regard to the kite loops then there is less pull through the loop with the Rally compared to the RPM.

I too am split between the RPM and Rally but I wonder how much of that is down to the 'cool factor' of the RPM (beach cred!)

richieski
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ever i am
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby richieski » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Mmmmm, whats new this year in the fuel. Ah, i see........ aggressive graphics. R and d busted their design balls.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Nyali Kenya

Postby GraemeF » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:

Chance to fly an RPM this year would be nice, the Turbine is all I've been on recently now that is a kite and a half, we've cleaned out, not one left...
But Rally v RPM, it's no good listening to me I'm a sad old bastard set in his sorry arsed lead foot rail, dig in point high, ride slow ways, mainly lawn mowing these days, but I did warm to the Rally out in Mauritius, I'd Go: Turbine, 11 Rally, 9 RPM, 4.0 Windsurf Sail, my really windy kite days are done I fear if it's that blowy I go back home where I can fall back on old skills.
Most windsurfers that still windsurf like bar pressure I find, it is true the Rally is better this year you can feel where it is better, but they don't do that much now do they, it's all ride the smallest lightest drift down the line kite that can feasibly get you into the line up or so it seems.
That's where that Rally really delivers, it is a consumate wave mans ride for big boards and fins, the binding boys will still Rock RPMS and the wave, surf and big air boys will tend toward Rallys..

richieski wrote:Mmmmm, whats new this year in the fuel. Ah, i see........ aggressive graphics. R and d busted their design balls.
Er the best kite bar ever made ever bar none.. Plus some mid range tuning on the mid sizes, 9,11, got tweaked I believe.

richieski
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ever i am
Gear: Ozone

Postby richieski » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:14 am

GraemeF wrote:
Er the best kite bar ever made ever bar none.. Plus some mid range tuning on the mid sizes, 9,11, got tweaked I believe.

No mention of any tweaking in vid, also i was referring to the Fuel and not the bar. As you are a SS rep should you not be certain of any tweaks? as you are selling the product.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:

I fly both Rally's and RPM's. I use the Rally almost every time I'm ride a surfboard. I like the feel,the drift and the smooth power. The 2014 14m Rally pulls a bit harder than the 2013 and turns a little faster. The increase in the wing tip perhaps has made this improvement(Turning) but, like I showed you, Its a small change. I've been using the stock setting which is the attachment closest to the wing tip.
I just love the RPM. Just a great feel at the bar. The rally does boost better with more float but does not have the precision of the RPM. I have both in a 10m. If I had to pick one,I would take the Rally(again depends on your needs)
The bar is once again a refinement of the previous model. I never had an issue with under bar depower and cant understand the whining about it. The new cleat works better and is easier to adjust. The release is easier due to a single bungie. 2013 bar ends cracked a lot, hopefully this has been addressed with the 2014 bar.
Try to Demo both back to back, It will make the choice even tougher cause you will really like both.

:thumb:

Babel
Medium Poster

Postby Babel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:49 pm

omg wrote:anyone able to translate what Gleiten.tv says about looping the Rally (is it slow or boring or what as my deutsch ist nicht so gut), please.

And another one; how is the bar pressure like when using the lightest setting? I am really after as light as possible.

Thanks!
The say the kiteloop has to be very well timed with good technique otherwise it wont catch you, as it is slow raising after the loop.

About the bar pressure, they say its very light and the different settings dont change anything about that.

Lots of wind = great hang time ;)

All in all they say its one of the best high performance freeriders, and it sounds as if they even think its better than the Rebel (thats a first).

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Nyali Kenya

Postby GraemeF » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Babel wrote:[
All in all they say its one of the best high performance freeriders, and it sounds as if they even think its better than the Rebel (thats a first).
Than a Rebel? That Bow tie crock.. I lost my niece for two hours one evening to the delights of a bow tied Rebel, they shouldn't be allowed to market that, you have to be very careful what you read in Germany, very political (North and other local market biased) tests. I wouldn't even put the two in the same sentence.

Sorry for the rant, but five lines in this day and age?

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:04 pm

GraemeF wrote:
Babel wrote:[
Than a Rebel? That Bow tie crock.. I lost my niece for two hours one evening to the delights of a bow tied Rebel, they shouldn't be allowed to market that, you have to be very careful what you read in Germany, very political (North and other local market biased) tests. I wouldn't even put the two in the same sentence.

Sorry for the rant, but five lines in this day and age?
A positive comment comes in and you rant!! :allbegood: :allbegood: :heartface:

Return to “Kitesurfing”