Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wakestyle or Freeride setting for Vegas 2013 ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wakestyle or Freeride setting for Vegas 2013 ?

Postby Mike27 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 am

Hi,

i had a ride on the 9m Vegas 2013, and for me with the front line in Freeride mode, the bar pressure is very heavy (too much).

After i tried the wakestyle setting (front line), and the kite seems to me much lighter in bar !

I was thinking it was the contrary ???

Which setting do you normally use on your Vegas ?

Furthermore the 9m feel heavier to me than the 10m (faster but heavier in bar) do you feel the same?

Thank

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Re: Wakestyle or Freeride setting for Vegas 2013 ?

Postby wrogu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:05 pm

10m is faster? Really? On wakestyle vegas was quite light indeed (I used 10m). Try messing around with steering line settings, tie them on the knot closest to the trailing edge.

What lines do you use?

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:17 pm

I think the 6-8-10 fly surprisingly similar in freeride mode.

I haven't set them up in wakestyle yet.

I'm used to the pressure and like it, but I was thinking, perhaps your are riding the Vegas too powered. I find them best when you need some hard powerstrokes to get started, then apparent wind generates nice pull on a fast board. Overpowered they are indeed heavy.

Also, 22m lines may be better than 24 unless you are in light wind - not entirely sure - but to me it seems to work best that way on 8-10. 6 only tested slightly underpowered on 24m which works fine. This is more about responsiveness than pressure.

As wrogu says, the steering line setting can change pressure - I've only tried middle out of the three.

@wrogu: he says the 9 is heavier but faster.

Mike27
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike27 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:40 pm

icebird wrote:I think the 6-8-10 fly surprisingly similar in freeride mode.

I haven't set them up in wakestyle yet.

I'm used to the pressure and like it, but I was thinking, perhaps your are riding the Vegas too powered. I find them best when you need some hard powerstrokes to get started, then apparent wind generates nice pull on a fast board. Overpowered they are indeed heavy.

Also, 22m lines may be better than 24 unless you are in light wind - not entirely sure - but to me it seems to work best that way on 8-10. 6 only tested slightly underpowered on 24m which works fine. This is more about responsiveness than pressure.

As wrogu says, the steering line setting can change pressure - I've only tried middle out of the three.

@wrogu: he says the 9 is heavier but faster.
I have flow it more in lower end.......with 24m line........maybe their is a difference between odd and even number

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

I am quite curious about lines because I am thinking of buying one and dunno whether 22 lines are superior to 24m.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 pm

wrogu wrote:I am quite curious about lines because I am thinking of buying one and dunno whether 22 lines are superior to 24m.
Others may fill in, but I have both and use both a bit randomly but seem to prefer 22 most of the time. So unless you go above a 10m kite I think you can't go wrong with a 22m. If you want to prioritize sining the kite on a longer line for more lowend, 24m could be a better choice, but then perhaps get some line extensions instead. The difference isn't that big. And in my testing other factors like how powered the kite was at the time, could also be significant. But it did observe some delay in steering reaction that I didn't see in 2009 Vegas (which can be a good thing for stability), and my impression is that 22m reduces this slight delay. When the kite is depowered it reacts slower this is why how powered the kite is also factors in.

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, I ride 12m most of the time (2010) and I thought I might just buy 22m and get some line extensions. I also consider airush razor but that is whole another story.

Mike27
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike27 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 pm

I don't like the pressure on the freeride setting on the 9m........But i like the general feeling of the vegas....Wakestyle setting is ok for me.....so one question : what are the drawbacks of the wakestyle front setting ?

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:14 pm

A bit less depower but imho the 2010 kite is better in wakestyle setting- more forward speed, more grunt and sits deeper in wind window.

Mike27
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike27 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:47 pm

wrogu wrote:A bit less depower but imho the 2010 kite is better in wakestyle setting- more forward speed, more grunt and sits deeper in wind window.
Do you feel like me that it is lighter in wakestyle setting ?

What about the low end of the 10m ?.....i don't know if i go for 7-9-12 7-9-11 or 6-8-10 for 80kg......
I don't like big kite,but i want to cover great range of wind....

Return to “Kitesurfing”