Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby C Johnson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 am

The biggest problem I see here is the guy sitting back filming it rather then helping either with kind advice or extra hands.

saying nothing, sitting back taking a a video on your iphone and uploading it to kiteforum just to make waves is the worst thing you could have possibly done....

face palm....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 am

C Johnson wrote:The biggest problem I see here is the guy sitting back filming it rather then helping either with kind advice or extra hands.

saying nothing, sitting back taking a a video on your iphone and uploading it to kiteforum just to make waves is the worst thing you could have possibly done....

face palm....
The guy filming is trying to get kiting banned...he puts his son in what he perceives to be danger to achieve this..and then films. There is a swim zone about 30-40 feet up wind.

Richard: ...you obviously do not know this spot. Why not just let it go? We've had this conversation before.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 am

I've been at Ka'a about two weeks ago. Wind was sketchy and the tree lines are definitely not your friend. Knowing the situation I didn't bother to unroll my kite rather just sit down to get a feel for the vibe. Local news are cooking this stew pretty hot. According to Maui News the guy (our known instigator and troll) got death threads, his tires got sliced and probably somebody wants to push him of the rim of the world ... Is it true? I don't think so. That you suddenly become a victim of your conviction is a well to known pattern. Paranoid people suddenly put fans under their beds to fight off the black helicopters. Maybe we should rename Ka'a into Hewahewa, Me for sure doesn't want to feed the trolls.
Back to me sitting at the beach. I definitely can say that I was watched. To test the waters I've pumped my kite, but didn't lay out my lines. The kite certainly draw a few swimmers into the pond. Coincidence? Passive aggressive? Well, I am not here to save the world, so I decided to roll up my stuff and hook up with some friends. Wind and Aloha just had a no show at this day.

So, let's not feed the pigeons and PLEASE don't engage with the psychos. All they want is YOUR attention 8)

I am back in Cali now and can happily report, that people are as stupid as in Hawaii. Wait - I can't call these 'experts' stupid, they have 'style' jumping over swimmers heads. Oh Lord, please throw some brain from heaven ...

peace

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:06 am

As the OP of this thread, I'd be quite happy now for Toby to remove it.

I originally went looking on the net in the hope of finding out that the two sides had got together and come up with a reasonable compromise, because it seems to me there is one available.

Unfortunately the situation seems to have not improved and having found that out, I don't think there is any point in the thread going over the same discussions that caused the previous thread to be requested by the local kiters at Ka'a to be removed as it is a local problem to be resolved locally.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 am

Sundays are still too busy but most of it has blown over. Had some great days out there the last couple weeks. You are watched a little but no one is saying anything.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 am

Dr Makani wrote:I've been at Ka'a about two weeks ago. Wind was sketchy and the tree lines are definitely not your friend. Knowing the situation I didn't bother to unroll my kite rather just sit down to get a feel for the vibe. Local news are cooking this stew pretty hot. According to Maui News the guy (our known instigator and troll) got death threads, his tires got sliced and probably somebody wants to push him of the rim of the world ... Is it true? I don't think so. That you suddenly become a victim of your conviction is a well to known pattern. Paranoid people suddenly put fans under their beds to fight off the black helicopters. Maybe we should rename Ka'a into Hewahewa, Me for sure doesn't want to feed the trolls.
Back to me sitting at the beach. I definitely can say that I was watched. To test the waters I've pumped my kite, but didn't lay out my lines. The kite certainly draw a few swimmers into the pond. Coincidence? Passive aggressive? Well, I am not here to save the world, so I decided to roll up my stuff and hook up with some friends. Wind and Aloha just had a no show at this day.

So, let's not feed the pigeons and PLEASE don't engage with the psychos. All they want is YOUR attention 8)

I am back in Cali now and can happily report, that people are as stupid as in Hawaii. Wait - I can't call these 'experts' stupid, they have 'style' jumping over swimmers heads. Oh Lord, please throw some brain from heaven ...

peace
None of that surprises me.... sending yourself death threats and slashing your own tires is pretty sad but given the quality of actual "proof" that knuckle shuffler can manage, he'd better stick to manufacturing the drama if he wants any results in his little campaign.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:40 pm

:alarm: :alarm: :alarm: Wow ...after reading the YouTube commentary - if a disgruntled resident began filming dumb kiters at my beach (if what I interpret to be the case) I would be organizing kiters and meeting with residents to work together rather than digging in...this guy might just succeed in banning the site....I have this issue at my beach...kiters tend to be the independent type and cant be bothered to lift a finger...fly under the radar...keep it all quiet...here's where that model fails...I would be all over this issue before its too late... good luck! :alarm: :alarm: :alarm:

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm

NYKiter wrote::alarm: :alarm: :alarm: Wow ...after reading the YouTube commentary - if a disgruntled resident began filming dumb kiters at my beach (if what I interpret to be the case) I would be organizing kiters and meeting with residents to work together rather than digging in...this guy might just succeed in banning the site....I have this issue at my beach...kiters tend to be the independent type and cant be bothered to lift a finger...fly under the radar...keep it all quiet...here's where that model fails...I would be all over this issue before its too late... good luck! :alarm: :alarm: :alarm:
That is exactly what the MKA is trying to do. Unfortunately every little rock this group can find is thrown at us. Now this issue has so many underlying levels, it is not only about kiting any more. People here go apeshit about this. Somehow it has come down to a personal vendetta of this haole.

MKA is sitting between so many chairs. You can't get anything arranged with these kite-haters, but you also have to deal with these out-of-town-kiters. All what it takes is this ONE idiot who ruins it for all of us. Not saying that locals are all kite-einsteins, but they are very aware of what's going on here.

So, bottom line is, if you plan to come to Maui, you shall behave. Right or wrong, it doesn't matter at this point. We need to strike a balance between our presence and responsibility as adults.

peace

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone

Postby boardjockey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:59 pm

i saw the young man and his friend in the video taking lessons yesterday at kitebeach. Ka'a point can be a difficult launch and he was obviously lacking experience regarding how to launch there.

on a seperate note. there is indeed a couple that sit in chairs facing the pro pool quietly filming kiting at the spot. i guess they have a agenda against kiting for some reason. i am resonably sure that is where this video came from.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Can you blame them? Some douche bag probably lawn mowed them over...
Any way to work together with them? Have them alert a steward who will come down and keep things safe. Are there signs? Not my business...but my group is trying to have IKO send us signs or provide language (I know this is not the ideal organization :lol:) but civilians like this sort of thing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”