Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leash discussion

Forum for kitesurfers
jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Leash discussion

Postby jrfiol » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:10 pm

XMitja wrote:
jbdc wrote: I guess you've never blown a jump and come down head first with speed? The impact of the water alone on an unprotected head can easily be enough to knock you out. Maybe you're just hard headed? ;P
this is a terrible argument, imagine doing a head first dive from the 10m platform, would you really want to use a helmet? don't you think it's strange that olympic divers don't use helmets?

the higher you fall from and the more speed you have, the more a helmet is going to hurt you
LOL,

Isnt'this trhead a bout a leash?

:lol:

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !
Been thanked: 0

Postby RichardM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:12 pm

wakaka69 wrote:Hey felas,

I have read some pretty harsh posts about using a leash (roller type) when kitesurfing. Even though its a roller and im using a helmet and impact vest, apparently it still is dangerous to me and the board.

I am more than willing to give up my leash for my safety, but although i know how to body drag upwind and surf upwind as well, im pretty scared about losing my board eventually. Last time I looked for it in the water for like 10 minutes before finiding it...

So presuming there are way more expirienced riders here than myself, what are your tips for riding without a board leash and keeping your board from getting lost at sea.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend mates ! :bye:
Although there are other reasons why someone might want to use a leash, if your only reason is to prevent losing your board, you should check out the GoJo by Ocean Rodeo, it will solve your type of problem 99.9% of the time.

Since I don't personally use one, I have frequently asked other kiters who use it whether or not it creates any unforeseen problems and in every case, they have assured me that it did not.

Do not be concerned about the "experts" on the forum who maintain that knowing how to bodydrag negates the benefits of a leash, they are simply trying to create the impression that they're competent without having any real understanding of the many factors involved. Or, they may be involved in some aspect of the industry which benefits from board sales.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET
Last edited by RichardM on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxzone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake michigan
Favorite Beaches: hatteras
Style: freeride
Gear: XR6's

Postby foxzone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:16 pm

My helmet is shred ready sesh water helmet. Maybe different shape helmet would be better. I will look into it.
I don't mind wearing one but a neck strain at impact was not pleasant, actually scary and kept me out from water for few days.You cannot judge somebody for things you didn't experience. Maybe you are pro and don't hit water uncontrollably like somebody who tries to learn new tricks.

If helmet shape/type matters there maybe should be discussion about it.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm

RichardM wrote:
wakaka69 wrote:Hey felas,

I have read some pretty harsh posts about using a leash (roller type) when kitesurfing. Even though its a roller and im using a helmet and impact vest, apparently it still is dangerous to me and the board.

I am more than willing to give up my leash for my safety, but although i know how to body drag upwind and surf upwind as well, im pretty scared about losing my board eventually. Last time I looked for it in the water for like 10 minutes before finiding it...

So presuming there are way more expirienced riders here than myself, what are your tips for riding without a board leash and keeping your board from getting lost at sea.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend mates ! :bye:
Although there are other reasons why someone might want to use a leash, if your only reason is to prevent losing your board, you should check out the GoJo by Ocean Rodeo, it will solve your type of problem 99.9% of the time.

Since I don't personally use one, I have frequently asked other kiters who use it whether or not it creates any unforeseen problems and in every case, they have assured me that it did not.

Do not be concerned about the "experts" on the forum who maintain that knowing how to bodydrag negates the benefits of a leash, they are simply trying to create the impression that they're competent without having any real understanding of the many factors involved. Or, they may be involved in some aspect of the industry which benefits from board sales.

Richard M.
Or maybe you benefit from leash sales? I agree that there may be legit uses for the leash,

But most of all, I wanted to ask you if you thought that to post on this thread it was required to be an expert?

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:26 pm

foxzone wrote:My helmet is shred ready sesh water helmet. Maybe different shape helmet would be better. I will look into it.
I don't mind wearing one but a neck strain at impact was not pleasant, actually scary and kept me out from water for few days.You cannot judge somebody for things you didn't experience. Maybe you are pro and don't hit water uncontrollably like somebody who tries to learn new tricks.

Two factors which can substantially affect the amount of strain that a helmet can apply are having a visor on it which will catch water and too loose a fit which will do the same.

Or maybe you benefit from leash sales? I agree that there may be legit uses for the leash,

But most of all, I wanted to ask you if you thought that to post on this thread it was required to be an expert?
No, to both your questions.

Richard M.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 pm

XMitja wrote:
jbdc wrote: I guess you've never blown a jump and come down head first with speed? The impact of the water alone on an unprotected head can easily be enough to knock you out. Maybe you're just hard headed? ;P
this is a terrible argument, imagine doing a head first dive (feet first dive might hurt even more though) from the 10m platform, would you really want to use a helmet? don't you think it's strange that olympic divers don't use helmets?

the higher you fall from and the more speed you have, the more a helmet is going to hurt you

you can of course prove me wrong, just go to a pool and do a dive off the 10m platform with a helmet, just make sure to film it too for our amusement
I think your logic is a bit skewed... The faster you hit water the harder it is. If you dive off a 10m board and get it wrong...you break something. Divers use their hands to creat a bubble that their head pops into. Also, most diving pools have added bubbles to soften the entry. If you dropped head first into a stationary pool of water onto the top of your head you would be lucky not to get seriously hurt. And...please don't film it and put it on you tube.

I don't think helmets should be compulsory but...in general...I think they're a good thing.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster

Postby jrfiol » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:36 pm

RichardM wrote:
foxzone wrote:My helmet is shred ready sesh water helmet. Maybe different shape helmet would be better. I will look into it.

Two factors which can substantially affect the amount of strain that a helmet can apply are having a visor on it which will catch water and too loose a fit which will do the same.

No, to both your questions.

Richard M.

Cool.

To the OP,

My suggestions with modifications,

*use bright colored boards, or add stickers.

*try to understand where the board is going to go based on the wind, waves and currents

*meditate before your sessions, focus and have fun!

Kindest regards,

XMitja
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Xiamen

Postby XMitja » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 pm

balugh wrote: I think your logic is a bit skewed... The faster you hit water the harder it is. If you dive off a 10m board and get it wrong...you break something. Divers use their hands to creat a bubble that their head pops into. Also, most diving pools have added bubbles to soften the entry. If you dropped head first into a stationary pool of water onto the top of your head you would be lucky not to get seriously hurt. And...please don't film it and put it on you tube.
Yes diving can be painful if things go wrong, so all divers should wear helmets to be extra safe right? A feet first dive from 10m with a kite helmet should be easy enough for anyone though, I'd still like to see it happen.

Anyway this thread is about leashes, don't wear a leash.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:14 pm

RichardM wrote: Since I don't personally use one, I have frequently asked other kiters who use it whether or not it creates any unforeseen problems and in every case, they have assured me that it did not.
Most beginners see no problem with the leash, and perhaps it is only one in 1000 leash users that get hurt, but most don't use a leash so incidents are rare, and those that do, clearly didn't have an incident, or they would stop using it.

Bodydrag does not negate the benefit of a leash - it is way easier to get reunited with your board using a boardleash - sometimes too much so.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I guess I would say don't wear a leash until it actually increases your safety. I would also say that most people who use a leash kiting are doing so out of convenience and at the expense of safety.

Thats not really the case with helmets. The risk posed by a helmet is legitimate but more than offset by the protection it offers.

I bet if divers had people throwing boards at them they might think about wearing em!

I wouldn't kite if I wasn't supremely confident in my ability to body drag out of trouble or efficiently after a board in all but surf breaking on rock/reef.

My various helmets have saved me many pains and a few serious injuries. In a lifetime of wearing them I have yet to be hurt by one.

I've crashed hard enough on water to blow a poorly fitting one completely off but never bucketed hard or neck strained/compressed from one. I've whiplashed myself pretty well a few times under a kite, both with and without and its all the same nasty.

Return to “Kitesurfing”