Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leash discussion

forum for kitesurfers

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Leash discussion

Postby JGTR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:05 pm

we wrote:
JGTR wrote:The joke is that most people who preach about board leashed still dont wear helmets, more danger from sustaining a head injury than being hit by your board.
Get hit in the head by what? Shark? If you want to be safe, a full PFD would be the most useful. I never could figure out why someone would wear a helmet but no PFD.
The ground!!!!!!

Unbelievable :roll:

Its your own choice, a leash does speed up learning as you spend less time chasing your board. In cold weather it reduces the need to body drag which can flush cold water through your suit brrrrr. In areas with strong currents it stops board being taken.

It can cause injuries and I believe has been a factor in one fatality with a looping kite and the board acting as an anchor, but still injuries are rare.

More common is being dragged head first across land hence my comment about helmets.

Pretty much all competent kitesurfers do not use leashes and body drag to get their boards back so that should tell you if and when you should ditch the leash :thumb: Upwind body dragging is very simple to do and extremely effective even in very light winds.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm

JGTR wrote:
we wrote:
JGTR wrote:The joke is that most people who preach about board leashed still dont wear helmets, more danger from sustaining a head injury than being hit by your board.
Get hit in the head by what? Shark? If you want to be safe, a full PFD would be the most useful. I never could figure out why someone would wear a helmet but no PFD.
The ground!!!!!!

Unbelievable :roll:

Its your own choice, a leash does speed up learning as you spend less time chasing your board. In cold weather it reduces the need to body drag which can flush cold water through your suit brrrrr. In areas with strong currents it stops board being taken.

It can cause injuries and I believe has been a factor in one fatality with a looping kite and the board acting as an anchor, but still injuries are rare.

More common is being dragged head first across land hence my comment about helmets.

Pretty much all competent kitesurfers do not use leashes and body drag to get their boards back so that should tell you if and when you should ditch the leash :thumb: Upwind body dragging is very simple to do and extremely effective even in very light winds.
I'd be interested in knowing how "competent", or even "expert", kiters bodydrag upwind when their kite is in the water.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:18 pm

I'd be interested in knowing how "competent", or even "expert", kiters bodydrag upwind when their kite is in the water.
Well you would have to relaunch your kite first.

I'll give you a scenario

You are out kiting and the wind drops, kite goes down, takes you a while to relaunch it, by then your board is a long way off, you then bodydrag back to your board. This is more common with learners as they are more likely to go out in marginal winds.

Hence the reason I said "Upwind body dragging is very simple to do and extremely effective even in very light winds."

And if you can't relaunch then you'll need to do a packdown.

Jeeeeez this guy claims to run a school :rollgrin:

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 pm

JGTR wrote:

I'll give you a scenario

You are out kiting and the wind drops, kite goes down, takes you a while to relaunch it, by then your board is a long way off, you then bodydrag back to your board. This is more common with learners as they are more likely to go out in marginal winds.

Hence the reason I said "Upwind body dragging is very simple to do and extremely effective even in very light winds."

You forgot to add "........packdown "but WITHOUT YOUR BOARD since there is NO WAY to bodydrag upwind when your kite is in the water.

Richard M.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:53 pm

RichardM wrote:
JGTR wrote:

I'll give you a scenario

You forgot to add "........packdown "but WITHOUT YOUR BOARD since there is NO WAY to bodydrag upwind when your kite is in the water.

Richard M.
Seriously what are you on and what are you talking about?

If you can not relaunch your kite then obviously you can not body drag and you will be doing a pack down without your board as that is the WHOLE POINT of doing a pack down because you can not relaunch your kite :rollgrin:

What is it with you and not being able to relaunch your kite? Just to stop any more of your trolling comments:

You can body drag upwind in very light winds (This bit is for you Richard>) i.e. too light to kitesurf but light enough to be able to relaunch and fly your kite.

I was making the point to the OP that body dragging to your board is easier than they may think and they should not be worried about losing their board in light winds.

F27Corsair
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Hsmpton Roads, VA
Favorite Beaches: None yet
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby F27Corsair » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:25 am

As a newer intermediate rider (1 1/2 yrs riding), i've come very close to losing my board a few times and it was seriously stressing me out. I was tired of the prolonged body drags after the frequent crashes and the ever growing possibility that i wouldn't get my board back. I broke down, bought and installed a GoJoe and reluctantly displayed my noob status to anybody on the beach that saw my board.
That was such a smart move. I no longer get stressed when my board ends up 50' behind me because i know now its coming back--quick. I can ALWAYS see my board when i get separated from it. And the GoJoe does not get in the way at all.
The only time the gojoe has been a minor annoyance was yesterday when i was out in 35 knot super choppy conditions- the board was bouncing all over the place and the gojoe would rock back and forth a little, rubbing on the inside of my bare leg throughout the session. I didn't notice it until the end of the session when my leg was a little irritated. This is not a problem w/ a wetsuit on or normal conditions.
Do i look like a noob w/ the GoJoe? Yes, i do. Do I enjoy and have a more productive session w/ the GoJoe? Absolutely.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:32 am

nothing wrong with a gojoe

Jantrit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011

Postby Jantrit » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:32 am

davesails7 wrote:
we wrote:Get hit in the head by what? Shark? If you want to be safe, a full PFD would be the most useful. I never could figure out why someone would wear a helmet but no PFD.
The main reason for a helmet is hitting if something goes wrong on land and you hit a hard object. When you look at the statistics of how people are killed or seriously injured while kiting, it doesn't seem like a PFD would have helped many of the cases, but having a helmet would have helped a majority. At least that's what it seems like to me.

I wear both.
I wear a helmet when i kite also (though not a bright yellow one) because if stuff goes terribly wrong that helmet just may make the difference. It's not for what happens on the water its for what happens when you are launching and landing.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:51 am

FWIW
My neck had three discs removed and the four vertebrae involved have been fused and a plate is screwed to the four fused C6,C5,C4,C3 bones...so my neck is a broken/repaired old piece of shite.
I have pain all the time and the whiplash from crashing a jump wrong..hurts for two to six weeks.
I have a nice Shred Ready helmet that I was using, but when I do not wear it and I screw up, the whiplash is less, still hurts like a bastard but the soreness does go away in less weeks.
I am aware that ultimately a hard impact on land could kill me, but reducing the pain associated with normal kiting is desirable, because if I beat my neck hard enough for long enough, it will put me in a spot to want to die anyway.
So in this case the helmet does not help...day to day.
They do stress a bad neck more than no helmet.
But I think most people should wear one......and NOT use a lease with a twintip.
Floatation vests depend on where you kite.

icebird
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby icebird » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:26 am

Return to “Kitesurfing”