All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: What Kite/Bar combo works with Ocean Rodeo Bar
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi All,

Im looking for a bit of advice on a new kite. I travel with work so want to keep it to one bar for the weight. Also the cost of bars is so high that one is good for me. I have a 2014 Ocean Rodeo 4 line Bar and I'm looking to buy a 12m kite. I have the 9.5 OR Prodigy but I'm looking for a kite with a bit more uplift for the 12. More intermediate-Advanced. I tried the bar with a Liquid force (old kite, about 2008) and although it flew, it felt like the back lines were far too long even when adjusted to the shortest setting. She just didn't want to turn without a massive amount of movement.

Any advice on brands that work together will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: What Kite/Bar combo works with Ocean Rodeo Bar
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:13 pm 
Medium Poster

Any kite that flags out on 2 front lines will \ should work.

I could be wrong on these...
OR Razor
North 4-line kites
BWS
CAB prior to 2014
F-One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Its better these days, but you often run into trim issues when mixing and matching brands.

If you want one bar to work across a number of kites, you have to trim each kite to the bar. This means that in the case of the LF that was not turning, you have to adjust the pigtails on the kite to get it in trim with the bar. Its really not tough, and takes one short little beach session to get done. Usually just involves tying a couple new knots in the pigtails, or worst case adding some length by replacing with longer pigtails.

Be sure the kite will safety properly with the type of safety on the bar. The post above highlights which kites will flag with a double front line safety like the one on your bar. You can also rig the bar to flag to a single front line safety with very little tinkering and then it will work with all kites across all brands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

benhowe2 wrote:
I tried the bar with a Liquid force (old kite, about 2008) and although it flew, it felt like the back lines were far too long even when adjusted to the shortest setting. She just didn't want to turn without a massive amount of movement.

sounds like you were using a liquid force kite like the 2007 havoc designed for a 2:1 pulley bar. No modern kite requires a pulley bar.

Your choice of 2014 kites is limited to what whabbits said. naish, cabrinha, slingshot, liquid force, ozone, (and north in 2015), best, wainman have all switched from mini-5th to single center flagging kites

if you want more flexibility in kite choice you are going to have to upgrade your control bar. Otherwise . . . I guess just buy another ocean rodeo if you like their kites.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:35 pm 
Medium Poster

BWS kites fly with a single line flagging.

Sounds like you should consider OR Razor....lots more oomph than Prodigy. I have several friends with them that love them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

Ben!

If you're considering a bit more of an aggressive kite than the 9.5 Prodigy look no further than our 12m Razor! All of our kites work with all of our bars, so this is not a concern!

The Razor is a much faster turning kite designed to carry through the loops and work great unhooked if you're progressing towards that style of riding. Also, specific to your comments, the Razor jumps higher than the Prodigy. The Prodigy jumps well and has a ton of glide and hang time while the Razor's speed and design see it jump faster and higher with a more dramatic "yank" off the water when you pull the trigger.

Hope this helps!

[ 6 posts ]