All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another Shinn Monk question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 pm 
Rare Poster

I've been riding this Monk in 132x41 for the past 3 years and completely dig it. I'm 160 lbs and just love the slashing, carving, boosting, chop eating properties of this board. If I had any criticisms, it would be that the toeside turns tend to slide out unless rear foot is weighted 100%

Looking for a new twintip and want to stick with Shinn. Is the MonkForever different from my board, and if so, how? Or, would I be better off getting a Turbo or a Red. Thanks!!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Another Shinn Monk question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

planning on keeping that monk and getting another or selling and replacing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

ThickAir wrote:
Looking for a new twintip and want to stick with Shinn. Is the MonkForever different from my board, and if so, how? Or, would I be better off getting a Turbo or a Red. Thanks!!

Mark couldn't have stated it any clearer...

"Sticking to our principle of "if it ain't broke don't try 'n fix it" we introduce the 2014 Monk Forever"

Same amazing board, just different graphics! :thumb:

The Turbo may hold a better edge or allow you to put less weight on your back foot on toeside turns. I haven't tried this board, so I'm just speculating since the Turbo is geared more towards carving performance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:52 am 
Frequent Poster

Perfectly agree and if you want a better grip in toe side, just use slightly bigger fins. I have the same "problem" with my 132x41 versus the 134x42 that comes with bigger fins. But in reality it's not a problem but yes it is more slippery with the 132.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks, everyone. My friend has a larger Monk with bigger fins, so I'll swap them out next time I ride.

I definitely am going to keep mine, just ready to buy something new, I guess. May try the Turbo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i would bet the turbo and monk are going to be pretty close to each other. not night and day. different flavors with an overall similar feel/vibe.

if you want a change of pace look to something that has a bit more explosive pop like the ultrasonic or better yet give the shinnster a look. I just got one and it is completely phenomenal. super fun, amazing carving, upwind like crazy and early planing.

if you like the monk then keep it and get a board that provides something that is truly different.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:05 pm 
Medium Poster

53mm fins makes huge difference I have the monk forever and changed the fins, different board while carving.... And if you go to the waves a lot 57mm bite fins, but you will have to "hop" gonna feel sticky....

[ 7 posts ]