Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where are the beginner strapless "how to" videos?

Forum for kitesurfers
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Where are the beginner strapless "how to" videos?

Postby tomtom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:16 am

many thanks!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 am

tomtom wrote:Hi Peter,

Could you please can be more specific, as much as possible about strapless tack? Im struggling to do it about 1 month. Im intermediate kitesurfer about 10 years kiting, but never stand on anything strapless till now.

Thank you very much

Tomas

BTW. im riding alaya style board with small /kitesurfing/ fins - i dont know if it make any difference to regular surfboard with bigger fins.
Sure, no problem.

Forget about the duck tack (or roll tack), WAY too difficult.

The video in the post after you, shows a tack, but IMO it is not the "easy" surfboard tack.

Instead:

Ride not too fast, but planing, with your back foot a bit further forward, and turn the board up to the wind, while your kite is maybe 45-60 degree up.

At the same time you pull your kite up slowly, and you move your back foot up to your front foot now, while your board is just entering across the wind, and then you step (or jump) with both feet close, a quarter to half a turn so you now stand in the new direction and can put your rear foot further back on the board again, while you dive the kite for speed.

So practice timing so you stand with both feet for a moment, at the boards "balance" point, and you have the kite above you and can be just as weightless or not, as you want to, by sheeting in/out.

To start with, you can also try just heading up in the wind, and stand with both feet at the balancing point, and turn the board with your feet while the kite is up over you.

Quite easy this way, and even if you fall, you wont get away from the board so you dont lose much upwind ground :thumb:

Because you are strapless, you can do it this soft and smooth easy safe way.

With straps you have to do it like on the video, much more speed and aggressive and you have to jump around higher (because of the front strap) - so more difficult.

Of course this method works equally well strapless too, but I would definitely go with the way I described here, as it is the easiest.

Hope this helps :naughty:

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:09 pm

many thanks, i was looking exactly for this type of kook proof instruction :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”