Forum for kitesurfers
Hunqi
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: More strutless love - What's the downside?

Postby Hunqi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:19 pm

icebird wrote:
ozonelevel wrote: So far the only downside I've noted is that it doesn't feel grunty
I would call that an upside :)
I agree it doesn't feel grunty and its deceiving because all you feel is the bar pressure.
I tried the 13m which barely had the power of a 10m size :roll: .So I would really advise try it before you buy it :!:
When some of you guys fly the Ozone Edge like me you'll feel what I'm taking about No BS :nono:

H
Last edited by Hunqi on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:41 pm

CFS wrote: What's the downside?
Well they ride a bit different, but nothing earth shattering. Like any new kite you have to familiarize yourself with it. Since BRM does not offer a bar yet, you have to make one fit....again not very hard, but it is important that it does fit.

I think the biggest downside would be the there is some canopy flutter in the upper range, but for me this was new for about 10 minutes, than I got used to it.

I ride in a notoriously gusty spot, and the kites works well.

Hunqi: Are you talking about BRM Cloud? This sounds very odd to me. Could it be that the bar was not adjusted right? Granted I have not yet ridden the 13, but my 8 is definitely grunty for its size.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 am

eree wrote:
CFS wrote:...Add the fact that they are considerably less expensive, and less complicated (fewer points of failure), why not buy a couple?...
considerably less expensive?!
CFS wrote:...I'd say the only downside is it's hard to try before you buy, but many knowledgeable posters have attested to their performance. What's the downside?
according to strutless lovers it's ok to buy the cloud without trying, but you can not comment on it without buying it first. bummer...
downside you don't have 30 days try and return policy here.
Not true. We recommend that everyone try it before buying one because it's very different than strutted kites. However, 90% of the people that have tried my kite ended up smiling and saying Wow! but not necessarily bought one.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: More strutless love

Postby noel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 am

I had a great sesssion today on the 17m Cloud and a Sector 66 in 6-10 knots. The cloud is not as grunty as let's say the Turbine. It is more of an apparent wind kite. I was pretty juiced once your moving with about 4" of depower pulled. I was also able to teach a lesson with it yesterday in 8 - 12 knots on a Spleene Door. I am waiting to try the Airush Zero. They look almost identical but I hear you are maxed out @ 12 knots. The guys around here ride the 10m when most are on 12s and 13s. The 13m when most are on 15s.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 am

For people in the lighter category, a grunty kite is very tiring and just pulls you downwind.
So if the kite can generate the power of a 2m larger kite without feeling grunty that is a very nice feature I would say, especially if it can do so without being a super high aspect slow turning race kite.

The downside of apparent wind power is crowded spots where you constantly need to stop because beginners are blocking the path in light wind. Very frustrating knowing you could easily have gone upwind, yet you end up walking back.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:42 am

noel wrote:I had a great sesssion today on the 17m Cloud and a Sector 66 in 6-10 knots. The cloud is not as grunty as let's say the Turbine. It is more of an apparent wind kite. I was pretty juiced once your moving with about 4" of depower pulled. I was also able to teach a lesson with it yesterday in 8 - 12 knots on a Spleene Door. I am waiting to try the Airush Zero. They look almost identical but I hear you are maxed out @ 12 knots. The guys around here ride the 10m when most are on 12s and 13s. The 13m when most are on 15s.

The Airush zero is the one I mentioned above. Just looked damn weird in the air, flapping and papping all over the joint. I wasn't the only one that made the same observation on the beach. But they were successfully using one to teach and heck until you ride one how do you really know hey. Thing is looking at it in the sky I just didn't want to !

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 am

Hunqi wrote:
icebird wrote:
ozonelevel wrote: So far the only downside I've noted is that it doesn't feel grunty
I would call that an upside :)
I agree it doesn't feel grunty and its deceiving because all you feel is the bar pressure so I called it as a Gutless Bitch.
I tried the 13m which barely had the power of a 10m size :roll: .So I would really advise try it before you buy it :!:
When some of you guys fly the Ozone Edge like me you'll feel what I'm taking about No BS :nono:

H
I got the 13m Cloud to replace my 15m Ozone Edge. The cloud has as much power as the Edge and turns twice as fast.

JV
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Close to home: Petit Travers et Espiguette near Montpellier, French Mediterranean
Close to ancesters native place: Ste Barbe south Brittany French Atlantic
Style: Papy kiting freeride and waves
Gear: Boards: rarely my 555 Nobile 140 x 44, Mostly a Rootshape Slice surfkite 170 (ex Aska board) and a F-One Fish 5.10 in lightwinds. Kites: Boardriding Maui Clouds 17, 13 & 10m, and Griffin Chimeras 10 & 8m and occasionaly Ozone Instinct 6m.

Re: More strutless love and a question

Postby JV » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am

I love my 17 Cloud starting at 9knts. Don't know about my 13 and my ten yet since didn't get the wind for them.

Question: How would you compare to other kites the Cloud upwind capability for the same board?
Thanks (tell the Cloud size).

dlprince69
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Beach, FL Delray beach, FL
Style: Foil, Wave, Air
Gear: Cabrina SB 8, 12, 16, Cloud 17, Crazy Fly LW 155x45, North Jamie 139x39, Lift Foil, Sector 60, Alex A CR69LE

Postby dlprince69 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:58 pm

I have been flying Cabrina SBs 8, 12, 16 for about a year and recently purchased a Cloud 17 as a light wind kite. In the past with the SB 16, 11 mph was my minimum on a Sector 60 board. Below that, there was always a fear of the kite dropping from the sky during a transition.

With the Cloud 17 the minimum gust to start with the Sector 60 is about 9 mph. As state previously in this thread, the Cloud is an apparent wind kite so the initial power stroke doesn't feel as strong as the SB 16 in the same conditions but if the power stroke is enough to get the board on plane, you will be able to handle lulls down to 6 mph without falling off plane. Further, the kite can handle lulls to about 4 mph before creative down-looping is required to keep it flying. (I have never had it Hindenburg like the SB 16)

I am running 27m lines to assist with the less than grunty power stroke, it give me a little more time to get up to speed and let the apparent wind kick in.

I have had times in low wind sitting in the water waiting for the next 9 mph gust to get me going again but seldom worry about the kite not flying.

As for the Cloud in higher wind conditions... well the only Cloud I have is the 17 so the max is about 15 mph before I wish I had a smaller kite but with excessive depower and keeping the kite high in the window, it is ride-able up to 18 mph for short periods.

BTW, I am 6'2" / 200 pounds

I will be looking at a Cloud 10 in the near future as I am now using a Lift Foilboard as my light wind board. Curently with the Lift Foilboard and the Cloud 17, my minimum gust to start is 6 mph and I can handle lulls down to 4 mph. Really a sick feeling with only the whistle of the lines and the sound of seagulls to keep you company. (Everyone else is sitting on the beach)

Just my experience..... Your mileage may vary....

dlprince69
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Beach, FL Delray beach, FL
Style: Foil, Wave, Air
Gear: Cabrina SB 8, 12, 16, Cloud 17, Crazy Fly LW 155x45, North Jamie 139x39, Lift Foil, Sector 60, Alex A CR69LE

Postby dlprince69 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Cloud 17 - 9 mph - Twin tip - 200 pounds
Attachments
Cloud17_TwinTip.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”