Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: More strutless love

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:15 am

I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

But not writing them off don't get me wrong but from first inspection I wasn't impressed.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 am

Westozzy wrote:I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

But not writing them off don't get me wrong but from first inspection I wasn't impressed.
Ive ridden the naish and brm quite a bit. Unless very overpowered the canopy is super tight.

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!
Been thanked: 0

Postby Aummm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

tautologies wrote:hmm, that might be a good thing to explore. I think being able to not be locked into conventional solutions is CRITICAL to moving forward.
tautologies wrote:
Westozzy wrote:I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

Ive ridden the naish and brm quite a bit. Unless very overpowered the canopy is super tight.
Westozzy, I agree :thumb:
And definitely its not for people who are suffering from elbow tendinitis :evil: :alarm:
Some people are having only visions about and feeling the board on strapless not the kite
and they try to hide the truth :duh:
Wake up people and move forward as tautologies mentioned it :!:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:55 am

Aummm wrote: Some people are having only visions about and feeling the board on strapless not the kite
and they try to hide the truth :duh:
I dare you to try to make any less sense.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:05 pm

How about trying one instead of just watching, then you might know what you're talking about. There's lots of strutted kites that luff and flutter all over the place.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:13 pm

ozonelevel wrote:

How about trying one instead of just watching, then you might know what you're talking about. There's lots of strutted kites that luff and flutter all over the place.
I think Westozzy would do that if given the chance. I must say a kite in the hands of someone who does not know what they are doing is never fun to watch... :-)

CFS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL
Style: Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Re: More strutless love - What's the downside?

Postby CFS » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I need some replacements for my Crossbows, so I've been waiting to see what Cab had for 2014. The Contra looks nice, but nothing earth shattering. The Clouds seem to at worst be comparable and at best superior to most mainstream kites on the market. (I've read and watched everything about them online)

Add the fact that they are considerably less expensive, and less complicated (fewer points of failure), why not buy a couple?

I'd say the only downside is it's hard to try before you buy, but many knowledgeable posters have attested to their performance. What's the downside?

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:37 pm

CFS wrote:I need some replacements for my Crossbows, so I've been waiting to see what Cab had for 2014. The Contra looks nice, but nothing earth shattering. The Clouds seem to at worst be comparable and at best superior to most mainstream kites on the market. (I've read and watched everything about them online)

Add the fact that they are considerably less expensive, and less complicated (fewer points of failure), why not buy a couple?

I'd say the only downside is it's hard to try before you buy, but many knowledgeable posters have attested to their performance. What's the downside?
You're welcome to try my 13 Cloud. A friend also has a 17 Cloud which you can also try.

So far the only downside I've noted is that it doesn't feel grunty and doesn't jump as good as say an Ozone Edge. A lot has to do with technique and getting used to the different feel.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 pm

ozonelevel wrote: So far the only downside I've noted is that it doesn't feel grunty
I would call that an upside :)

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:54 pm

CFS wrote:...Add the fact that they are considerably less expensive, and less complicated (fewer points of failure), why not buy a couple?...
considerably less expensive?!
CFS wrote:...I'd say the only downside is it's hard to try before you buy, but many knowledgeable posters have attested to their performance. What's the downside?
according to strutless lovers it's ok to buy the cloud without trying, but you can not comment on it without buying it first. bummer...
downside you don't have 30 days try and return policy here.

Return to “Kitesurfing”