All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Here on Isla Holbox
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:32 pm 
Medium Poster

Here on Isla Holbox there have been less good kite days than the last 5 years. Some great rides though in the new flat water that's been opened to us this near "Rio Mosquito". Some small breaks to play in across the sand bar. Spoke with someone yesterday who told me all about Holbox kiting, they said they read it all on kite forum. It sounded as though it was the thread I started last season. This person then set up his kit in a no kite zone. Huh? Seems silly to have to say this again but: Come and kite the Isla it's a beautiful place, but like anywhere, don't forget to ask the locals where to kite and what the hazards are.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Here on Isla Holbox
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:16 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi there Señor P
Many happy memories of our week on the island in November, love to return sometime but the airlines are showing no mercy right now :( All the best from our gang from "514"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:41 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi saildawg,

I will be in Holbox from 17th till 26th February
Where can I meet the locals and ask?
I will be bringing a 9m and a 14.5m. You think I will be ok?

Do you need anything I could throw in my bag? :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 pm 
Medium Poster

Hola windrt. Your 9 and 14.5 should cover most wind. At about 80 kilos my 8 and 12 cover most everything though occasionally I use a 6, very occasionally. For local information: Holbox Kiteboarding School located at Casa Tortugas they will phone me if no one is around. The school arranges boat transport if necessary. Or ask at Tribu Hostel, Carolina the bar tender is a kiter, Davide the owner is a kiter.
Windybrit! Beer is cold wind has been good!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:44 pm 
Medium Poster

Cool, thanks! :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 pm 
Rare Poster

So, which are the authorized kite spots now in Isla Holbox??

Saludos,

Jaime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 pm 
Medium Poster

Current 2014/02/07 authorized kite beaches Isla Holbox. 1: Playa Norte east of hotel "Las Nubes"; this has about 100 m launch/land zone with beautiful flat water protected by a sandbar exposed at low tide. Across the sand bar is open water small break to play in. You can get food and drink at Las Nubes. (expensive) a cart comes by with empanadas and soft drinks. Good in NW, N, NE and ENE. 2: Playa Ensenada, 22 km of uninhabited beach, less break near Punta Mosquito, great boarding with small breakers south of that. Good in ENE, E, ESE. Access by boat or bike to the Rio and walk, aprox. 45 minutes. Punta Coco area is under consideration but we have been asked to respect it as a no kiting zone until a final decision is made. Good for S and SW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:59 pm 
Rare Poster

Saildawg,

Is Isla Holbox generally a windier place than Playa del Carmen south to Tulum? In my visits to that area i have noticed that the lagoon just north of cancun is often way windier than those locations. I am wondering if Isla Holbox has the same wind advantages?

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:38 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Guys,

We're heading there Feb 24 thru March 5th. Sounds like Holbox is great all around for kiting and I will definitely ask the local school about authorized kite zones. Also, we are planning to take the bus to Chiquila` since it is the most affordable mode of transportation. Is that okay/safe with all our kite gear? Or is it better to just pay taxi? Any words of advise helps! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:21 am 
Medium Poster

Answers: Take the bus, safe transportation for about 80 pesos a taxi is 1000 p. Never had a problem or heard of anyone having a problem with their gear. The place north of Cancun is called Isla Blanca; good flat water lagoon and a very short walk to the ocean side if wind is favorable for that side. Lagoon can be kited with wind from all directions, water is about waste deep, shallower in places. Nothing to do but kite at Isla Blanca. I would stay in Cancun which is about 25 minutes away if you go there. I will always sing the praises of Holbox. Mellow night life, good food whether at restaurants or buy and cook. Very friendly people, very safe.

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next