Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

new bar grip

forum for kitesurfers

BillyGoatGruff
Frequent Poster

new bar grip

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello - I am flying my 14m Naish Torch on a 2012 Naish shift bar which has a savage grip... more than a few hours results in blisters on the hands (I already have tough hands 😉). I have later Naish bars which are comfy and no issues.

I am going to remove the existing grip with a sharp knife and heat from a hair dryer. Next is to clean with isotropic alcohol and regrip using either handle bar grip of windsurf grip with a marine contact cement. The main issue is the bar is not circular in cross section, it is slightly ribbed for fingers to grip. What's best to use bike grip tape, windsurfing tape or a heat shrink (I think this would give the best result ?)
Thanks

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: new bar grip

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:27 am

I've had the best success with badminton racquet tape. Costs nothing, easy to apply, and lasts pretty well.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:43 am

I've done Prince tennis grip and hockey stick mesh tape.

The tennis grip is a really nice comfey chamois feel and has held up quite well except for the little sticker used to terminate the grip.

The hockey stick mesh looks ghetto. Little strings peel off it. The feeling is much more harsh. But I have to say it's my favorite because it's durable, the grip is good, and the bar looks less valuable to a casual thief.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:45 am

^^Terminate with a full wrap of hockey or athletic tape. Those little stickers are worthless.

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:59 am

Bicycle cork bar tape is also an option. Its theoretically designed for outdoor use more (rain and water) but realistically I think it just comes in a longer roll as the main difference.

I have tried the proper windsurf boom grip before. Its cheap to order and gives a good anti-slip finish but I found it difficult to get a clean finish that looked good around the join.

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:00 pm

I used bicycle foam grip designed for handle bars on a custom bar that I built with an aluminum tube. I agree hockey tape on the ends is the best and contact cement if the original glue does not cut it. The bar is very comfy and it held up good after a few years.

Return to “Kitesurfing”