Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Forum Chat! Ask all your Flysurfer questions here!

Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Flysurfer Forum Chat! Ask all your Flysurfer questions here!

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:30 pm

foilholio wrote:I don't get exactly what point you are trying to make? The standard pigtail on flysurfers is as strong or stronger than the flying lines, as long as the lines aren't being removed there is no issue as far as wear.
Not true. The way they're spliced (or at least were on the up-to Speed3s) was very pretty with a nice uniform width, but where the ends meet in the center creates a weak point. It's the same stuff as the line . . . and I've broken 4 of them :( I've started to replace them with Amsteel.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:08 pm

I have broken some pigtails and took something pretty extreme to do it. Obviously the splices aren't done correctly because that nice uniform look shouldn't occur with a proper taper.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:50 pm

foilholio wrote:I have broken some pigtails and took something pretty extreme to do it. Obviously the splices aren't done correctly because that nice uniform look shouldn't occur with a proper taper.
I suspect they just got old and the bending there created a weak point. I don't remember anything extreme going on.

They look nice though :D I managed to make some like that, but with a reasonable taper . . . however it's tough to get perfect and when they get loaded up and settle it all goes to pot. Amstel good.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:56 pm

If flysurfer just made them longer they could taper them properly. I have seen them with square ends and even with the ends poped out of the line which can't be good.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 pm

I often travel with my Speed 5 kites for a couple of weeks at a time. I recently broke a bridle line on a Boost2 kite and had to order a new line, fortunately I was at home.

What I was thinking was, if I have several of the different bridle lines that are long, from a 21m kite. I would like to learn how to best tie them so that they are shorter. My idea is to carry a few long bridle lines and if I break a bridle line, use a longer line of the same construction that is just tied so that it is shorter and use that as a temporary line until I get home and can get the new proper replacement line from the mail box.

What would be a good way to tie a line to make it shorter and still retain most of the strength. I understand that it will not be 100 percent the strength but I am mostly just mowing the lawn and getting some daily exercise. I really like to use a kite size that best fits the wind. When I had my Boost2 kite out while waiting for the replacement line, I had to choose a kite that was too big or too small and more often I would end up with the too big and would prefer to just have a way to temporarily keep my kite in action until I get home.

The lines already have spliced ended on both ends so I am looking for a knot that I could use in the middle to take out some length, I could make sure that the line is the proper length by checking the same line on the other side of the kite.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi Sedluk.

A knot can reduce breakingstrength up to 50%. As thicker the line is, as less the reduction will be. To make a knot to the spliced part of the line will not really reduce the breaking strength, as the line is here doubled.
The simple trick is to replace a broken line with a stronger one. Than you can make a knot to it.
Our foils like the SPEED have in the sparepart set a 100Kg bridle. You can us to knot in between the broken line to make it the original length (like the other side) again, until you get a replacement.

Have fun with out kites!

Cheers, Armin

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:24 am

Thanks Armin,

I am in Maui for two weeks and I was out on the 6m Speed 5 for a couple of hours. It was my first time on the 6m and it was pretty intense with all the wind and waves.

I was packing up and walking around and a guy named Klaus started to talk to me in German and finally asked me in English if I was Armin Harich. I was flattered that he thought that I might be you and we got things all straightened out but I think they have been looking for you on Maui and want you to visit soon.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:28 am

Armin, we still need the Microloop.
I know it is in your to do list...just do it and you can take it off ;-)

People need it...it will boost their level a lot.

Yours too ;-)

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:15 pm

If i would have more time, i would visit maui. I leave now to lengebaan (SA) to join my R&D Ream.

Yes, Toby we know that this would fit to our kites better than to any other brand.

Cheers, Armin

Return to “Kitesurfing”