Disadvantages to using a larger bar?

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Disadvantages to using a larger bar?

Postby shawn13 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Yesterday I had a session at a spot we have to hike into, so I had to pack my gear in a travel bag.

I packed an 18m xbow and a 13m xbow with the 18m bar and mistakenly took my 10m sb bar.

After having issues with my 13m not flying correctly in light wind, no power, slow turning, windtips folding in at max power I realized
I had brought the wrong bar. I changed the bar to the 18m one which is 65cm (13m is 55cm and 10m is 48cm). Immediately I noticed great power increase,
and with the bar fully sheeting the wingtips didnt fold in. I couldnt compare to the bar that comes with the kite but overall it seemed as
if the kite was performing much better than stock. Faster turning speed, smoother powerflow.

Is this in my head? Is there any disadvantages to using a larger bar?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Disadvantages to using a larger bar?

Postby edt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:48 pm

shawn13 wrote:the wingtips didnt fold in.

when you use a smaller bar, it will turn slower. on a big bar it will turn faster, if the kite is real small it gets too twitchy and is unpleasant to fly but changing bars never makes the wingtips fold in.

Run out your bars and check the line lengths. Something here doesn't make sense.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Edt is right - it sounds like your "medium" bar have oversheeted the 13m2 kite (having slightly different front versus rear line lengths at the same depower level) so it tends to fold in, and it will also deliver less power if oversheeted (most often).

So a longer bar will make the kite turn different, and if you like that, just use the longer bar for all kites (I do that now, but having several identical bars)

But what you describe is because the lines on these two bars are not identical, and you have to move one or the other a few knots, till they are.

And apparantly you should move your medium one so it is like the big one it seems :thumb:

If you pull the bar "too much" (meaning, having an odd trim), your kite will "choke" and not deliver as much power - I assume you know that yourself from light winds ?

This seems to be the case with your 13m2 bar, that you should move the rear lines a few knots out, so a bit longer.
IMO no stock bar/kite setting can be correct, so you always have to fiddle a bit with the trim, on ANY kite and bar 8)

:naughty: Peter

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:01 pm

It was definitely an over sheeting issue as the bar i was using is set up for the new switchblades, with needed to be set closer to the kite from a design flaw. It did stall it in the light winds which is why i knew there was a problem.

So the answer is that there are no issues for using a larger bar unless the kite is really small and it becomes a crazy bee? I would damage or compromise the way the kite wears using a larger bar?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

shawn13 wrote:So the answer is that there are no issues for using a larger bar unless the kite is really small and it becomes a crazy bee? I would damage or compromise the way the kite wears using a larger bar?
You got it. Some of those 7m kites in 30 knots buzz around like they want to kill you on a 55cm bar, it's not that you can't fly them that way, it's just so tiring on a long bar.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:09 pm

shawn13 wrote:It was definitely an over sheeting issue as the bar i was using is set up for the new switchblades, with needed to be set closer to the kite from a design flaw. It did stall it in the light winds which is why i knew there was a problem.

So the answer is that there are no issues for using a larger bar unless the kite is really small and it becomes a crazy bee? I would damage or compromise the way the kite wears using a larger bar?
No problems at all using a larger bar :thumb:

Except if it gets a "crazy bee" - but I dont think it will in these big sizes you mention.

Here, in waves, even with 4 and 5 and 6m2 kites, most of us use the long (actually medium) bar for these too, as a wavekite can NEVER be too fast 8)

And for the big kites, we typically use a medium bar, so one length for every kitesize.

The only downside is, when it becomes "clumsy" big, and this is why many of us dont use large but only medium bars, for all kites (in waves 4 to 12m2 and freeride or race with 17m2 kites)

My medium bar is 53cm rearline to rearline, but a little bit different from brand to brand.

A 60cm bar would I never use today, as it feels way too clumsy and big out on the water, and even for the huge kites, it does not actually turn faster with such a beast.

8) Peter

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Been thanked: 0

Postby jbdc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Check the tune of your bars, I went through all of mine just prior to a recent PEI trip. The results were as follows:

Naish Shift 22": Lightly used, 4-6" out of tune.
Ocean Rodeo Freeride 48cm: Lightly used, only a bit out of tune.
Cabrinha 2011 Powerdrive IDS 48cm: Moderately used, but sometimes in over-powered conditions, 6-8" out of tune.
Slingshot Compstick 21": Most frequently used, still in tune.

Those Slingshot lines are amazing, everything else stretches at least a bit--especially after the first few sessions.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Real good deal on Slingshot lines right now:

http://www.kiteboarding.com/proddetail. ... es&cat=150

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 pm

but sleeved on all ends, so need mods for safety systems, or suicide...

Return to “Kitesurfing”