Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wax substitute

Forum for kitesurfers
aeberl
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Wax substitute

Postby aeberl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:27 pm

I need feedback on the MONSTER PAINT CLEAR TRACTION SPRAY for strapless wave kiting.
Conditions:
3' to 6' peeling surf with 16kt to 24kt cross off wind, common poly 6' surfboard on a 10m Rally (2012), 15 to 24 deg Celsius water temp. Average session = 2 hours.
I ride barefoot, 1 hour into the session the wax on my board looses grip, can anybody give me some feedback on how the Monster Paint would perform under these conditions? How long before it has to be reapplied? any good riding barefoot or is it best when used with booties?

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wax substitute

Postby Dr Makani » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:32 pm

it's good stuff, I like it. I am not a fan of wax, just too messy for me (car, home, garage ...)
Couple a things to consider:

It's permanent. There's no way back. Unless you sand down your top layer you can't get it off;
it's transparent, so it doesn't cover graphics or stickers. I like that, since I ride slingshot and naish boards;
it's handling like good 'ol spray paint out of a rattle can. So you need to mask your area pretty well.
take off all straps, leashe and tape and mask your area. Anything goes. Some of my boards have turtles or orchards as a grip pattern;
you need to apply it in layers. Start in one direction, then let it dry for 10min and start another layer in a different pattern;
always blow your nozzle pin of your can. It dries fast and is clogging your paint nozzle.
three layers are good enough (for me);
let it dry overnight;
get in the water, check it out ...

I have it on for a year now. Still grippin' - guess next year I'll give it another whiff.

Can runs here for about 25 bucks.

peace

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:50 am

Does it leave an abrasive finish? Would it damage skin lycra or wetsuit if I rub against it?

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:46 am

I've never used that spray you have talked about however, what's wrong with pads? Seems less permanent and might add a little protection to your deck.

I must say I still prefer wax though. Just use a warmer temperature wax than what the actual temp of the water. For example, since the water is in the high 60's/low 70's now, I'll go with "tropical" and in the winter I'll use a "warm" or "cool". I also apply a base coat first. Not really sure if that helps or not in kiting and just do it out of habit really. It still manages to re-distribute where your front foot goes. So, I'll just go in the shallows or the beach to peel the clumped part and just stick it back on the bare spots. Usually once in the middle of a session. Gives me a chance to rest for a minute anyway.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:08 am

I'm no expert surfer but I've got an adhesive deck pad on the Dialer... seems to work fine. Is that an option?

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa

Postby Drew22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:38 pm

I wouldnt use it just get pads they are way better. I have used it abd didnt lke it.

1 Dont ever plan on surfing the board again. Its like srfing on 60 grit paper it will destroy boardshorts wetsuit everything. I duck dive with my knee sometimes and it was instant blood.

2 It really isnt that much better than wax grip wise atleast I wasnt impresseD.

3. Falling and landing on your board is brutal I dont know if you do airs but i did an air got wierd and fell to my board ob fkat and destroyed my elbow

4 Pads are way way better. I like was but agree, being constantly standing you burn through wax. Always make sure tou use trop no matter if its winter due to friction of your feet.

I do know that stuff can be removed with alcohol or thats atkeast what the kite shop told me.
Just trust me though go pads and dont turn back. It has made my skill alot betterbit helps not worrt about wax or doing an air and havebto worry about everything and landing on your death trap sand paper.board. I have a whole bottle of that crap pay shipping and you can havevit.

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa

Postby Drew22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Sry for the jacked msg wrote it on my phone

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 pm

I just bought versatraction

http://shop.vgtsports.com/c/surf_vgt-surf-traction
http://www.woodsurfboardsupply.com/VersaTraction.html

i wont get to try it till Sept/Oct but when i do I'll report back.
its a bit pricey but if it does the job well i think it will be worth it.
looks like it would work well and doesn't look like it would tear up your chest/rash guard.

but .... lets see :?:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:18 pm

I just HATE wax :angryfire:

The only thing I like, is the smell, and the "ancient" touch because it was used back in the good ol'e days :lol:

I wont use time to list all the downsides, as they are well known and described thoroughly both here and elsewhere.

Pads are my favourite, but only because I got boards "made" so the art/colour fits okay (and often just without colouring).

If you got an amazing board with art decor or beatiful colour lines, you would most likely not find pads.will do anything but bad for your board.

So here the classic windsurf anti-slip works great, and many of the kite waveboarders around here has really found this to work perfect the last 1-2 years.

I dont know the "Monster Paint" - but it appears to be a smiliar thing to the windsurf anti-slip products (or simply salt or sugar coated in epoxy or polyester).

They work great, but as said, you can not "surf" on the board with such a deck, too rough.
For surfing you need wax, OR pads and wax IMO.

Pads alone are not as efficient when you lie down on your board, as pads and wax or just wax.
But for riding and kitesurfing, I find pads to work the best, no doubt, and without any drawbacks like the "list" wax got :rollgrin:

I dont know anybody who uses the same boards for surfing and kitesurfing though - as the surfboards tends to be a liiiitle bit bigger and slower (rocker/edges) than typical kitesurfwaveboards nowadays.

But apparantly a few does this - so you have to decide what you want ?

:naughty: Peter

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 am

At original poster. Whether you choose spray, wax, pads, or both, don't make your selection based on how it matches the graphics on your board. There are advantages and disadvantages to all. So go with what gives you the best feel under your feet. Here are some fairly competent strapless riders who seem to prefer wax. Nothing ancient about the way they ride either, but their decks are ugly. :thumb:

http://www.ianalldredge.com/?page_id=2012

Return to “Kitesurfing”