Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Foil - wave riding

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:30 am

stevez wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:31 am
.....As long as it's wind powered and not attached to the board.
So out of my league a bit here on strapless (front hook only ok, but strange foils are a big challenge strapless hydrofoiling). But love the "fashion" of "not being connected to the board. I used to do that. Don't do anymore. I now prefer to be a link in the chain, instead of the "sticky, weak link" strapless.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 am

stevez wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 pm
plummet wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:23 pm
I have ridden this wave on the foil...
Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

You keep posting this pic of a guy with a black kite riding this slab, but what's really called for is one with you charging it on a foil :wink:

Any form of photo or video evidence, pov or otherwise would be acceptable.
Then 99.9% of my riding didnt happen. I upload the picture so readers can have a frame of reference to what i am talking about.

I don't have a photo crew following me round or buddies taking photo's for that matter. I have to hope that someone randomly takes a photo and I randomly discover that photo.... slim odds.
Occasionally it does happen. But never planned and 99% of the time not taken of me in the right moment as the photographer is typically focussing on someone else.

As an example heres a pic of me heading out on a 40 knot day.
23456533_868285830001591_8098654805791773008_o.jpg
Here's a picture of the same day same location of someone else on an sb in the impact zone.
Now did I ride some of those waves on the foil? yes. Was i as deep as the sb rider. No.
Was it rediculous? yes it was.
Would i love a photo of me riding one of those waves on the foil? hell yes.
One day someone will take a pic at the right time and place.
Until then you can choose to believe or not believe!
23550003_868286026668238_6002979038650782224_o.jpg

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:20 am

Foil or no foil, that looks like an epic day.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 pm
This topic is quite interesting - as it is posted in the "kitesurfing" forum.

Most not foiling, have no idea about what its like to blast around and feel the waves on a hydrofoil :D

Meaning, they only base it on "looks" and comparing to a wave/surfboard, which does not make any sense at all...

Unfortunately, no matter what we "foil waveriders" say, it will never stay any different :roll:

Riding waves on a hydrofoil is SO much more than on a waveboard, and different too - can and should never be compared - both have their place and amazing feel, but apart from the smooth bottom turn feel and love for the feel of waves, nothing in common :thumb:

So dont compare - get your own experience doing both instead, please.

I also, wrongly, tried to copy waveboard riding at first - meaning seeking fully sideshore conditions and copying something that doesnt make much sense in the same way...

We can ride with quite onshore winds, actually being better than sideshore, and chop is no problem, so I dont understand you Peert, as the very reason (also) hydrofoiling is so great, is because huge chop can be the most amazing conditions to ride, where ONLY a hydrofoil excels and feels sweet!
We got the same conditions here in Denmark as you got Peert, and hydrofoiling has changed everything around as suddenly bad or useless conditions are good.

Nope, it doesnt look cool as no spray, agree - and this also means something, no doubt.

But apart from that, the "Zen feel" you get is impossible to match, so you gotta feel it yourself, no doubt :naughty:

Whether you want to ride waves hydrofoiling powered, or just using the wave with small or drifting kites, is simply personal and both got their place but extremely individual.

stevez, agree that pictures or even better video, is the only way to share how you ride waves - words or pictures of others are useless here :wink:
But as said, only makes sense for hydrofoilers, as non-foilers got no clue how it feels, but IMO wrongly compares to surfboards :-?

8) Peter
Peter - we see our World in the same way.
well stated, well explained.

I wrote this topic in "kitesurfing" forum in July 2013. The "hydrofoil" forum did not exist that time.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 am

plummet wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 am
As an example heres a pic of me heading out on a 40 knot day.

23456533_868285830001591_8098654805791773008_o.jpg

Here's a picture of the same day same location of someone else on an sb in the impact zone.
Now did I ride some of those waves on the foil? yes. Was i as deep as the sb rider. No.
Was it rediculous? yes it was.
Would i love a photo of me riding one of those waves on the foil? hell yes.
One day someone will take a pic at the right time and place.
Until then you can choose to believe or not believe!

23550003_868286026668238_6002979038650782224_o.jpg
Don't get me wrong - I do believe you've been going out in that stuff. I guess we are all just salivating for some really great footage of someone riding that stuff on a foil. I was hoping you'd be the man :)

I don't expect you to get into the impact zone. But if you're managed to get behind the line, there's got to be miles and miles of rolling ocean swell. That's the stuff I want to ride, not the breaking waves.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 pm

stevez wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 am

I don't expect you to get into the impact zone. But if you're managed to get behind the line, there's got to be miles and miles of rolling ocean swell. That's the stuff I want to ride, not the breaking waves.
That there is! I have had a number of sweet sessions in well over head high rolling swell. One particular occasion where an outer reef 1km out was breaking a big lazy 1.5 - double me size wave. I rode that bastard as it broke and reformed all the way into the beach. Pure magic. Becuase it was peeling and reforming i could get close into the impact zone safely and back out again both up and down the line all on the same long ride. I could ride powered or drift because of the wind angle that day. The wave was lazy in steepness and choppy crap to be riding on a surface board. For a foil it was the best ride i have ever had. That is the type of wave/swell i want to ride. Its big, its fast, it requires you to go fast and be aggressive but theres a run out and limited chance of getting put through the washing mashine.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Making some progress :-) Still not quite what I want to do, but slowly getting there.

--
Gunnar

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Great shot. Is that a still from a video? Looks like a decent resolution image.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 pm
One particular occasion where an outer reef 1km out was breaking a big lazy 1.5 - double me size wave. I rode that bastard as it broke and reformed all the way into the beach. Pure magic. Becuase it was peeling and reforming i could get close into the impact zone safely and back out again both up and down the line all on the same long ride. I could ride powered or drift because of the wind angle that day. The wave was lazy in steepness and choppy crap to be riding on a surface board. For a foil it was the best ride i have ever had. That is the type of wave/swell i want to ride. Its big, its fast, it requires you to go fast and be aggressive but theres a run out and limited chance of getting put through the washing mashine.
That’s awesome … that’s exactly what I want to do on foil too, whether kite foiling or sup/surf foil. A moving wall that you can carve around on, or can just stand there trim and coast on the power if you prefer. Much like shortboard surfing vs longboarding, choose the style and aggressiveness that suits the mood, the conditions, and the gear.

I am increasingly sure we’ll never see satisfying video of this though. Too far from shore to get any decent shore based footage, if you are lucky enough to have someone with the interest to actually watch you and the skill to capture the moment well. A gopro flattens the swell too much, so it looks like you’re riding a ripple (I stopped using mine to a large extent because of the disappointment….an A+++ day looks like a C- on the video after, then that super lame video replaces your awesome memory). Realistically, you’d need a jetski following you … and that’s never gonna happen unless you’re on the pro team. And even then, we’re seeing some good footage like this for surf/sup foil tow-in riding, but not really for kite foiling. So, for those who enjoy riding way out there in the rolling swells … we’ll have to be satisfied with our memories.

Kinda like your buggy riding Plummet, or back country skiing, it’s a solo pursuit or something to be shared with just a few friends. With the understanding that when we get back to the beach in full-on stoke blabbering mode, most people will assume you’re both full of s**t and a kook. 

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 pm
Making some progress :-) Still not quite what I want to do, but slowly getting there.

--
Gunnar
I might be wrong but that looks like the action at flag beach today,
6mtr kite in cross offshore winds, more off shore than cross.
When you see shots like that it makes you wish you were there,
I was😕
and I was half excited but mostly very much out of my very happy zone, never before have I heard the sound of a wave building height behind me and pushing me into the wet wind spray of the wave Infront of me, which was simply too big to pop over and escape from.
Three attempts to get through the sets, 2 complete fails and horrible silence as I was pushed under by the might of a breaking crest,
Kite lines were so twisted up after relaunch I had to run for the beach downwind,
No damage done but a lesson to me that I need practice and more practice.
Pauline (my wife and look out) ran down to the beach I was aiming for , and she said the beating I took looked bad, and wished she could offer me a bumper pack of Toilet rolls,

Return to “Kitesurfing”