Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Re: Foil - wave riding

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Flight Time wrote:All the videos collectively make me feel a great big hearty meh. I can't speak for how it feels, having never ridden a foil, but it sure doesn't raise the pulse to see someone doing it, that's for sure. It seems like it subtracts all of what makes wave riding fantastic, and replaces it with a hovering, floaty sensation. Isn't the point of wave riding the "connection" with the water, you know, the rips, the carves, and the water flying everywhere when you slash the crest of the wave?
Gotta agree with U on that one

What is the point of timing your turn on a wave in front of the whitewater

Playing chicken with the waves ain't riding them....

...plus trying to make yourself believe you are doing so just because you are on a surfboard.....

....is an illusion

To ride a wave ....it has to be surfed...hence the word surfboard

The board bottom surface that is in contact with the water gets on a plane

Levitating does not need waves...just water

Time for all you wave foilers to get over it :wink:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:26 am

SupaEZ wrote:

...plus trying to make yourself believe you are doing so just because you are on a surfboard.....

....is an illusion

LOL goes to show what you know about foil boarding...or waves for that matter. Do you use a regular surfboard? In actual waves?
Did I say anything about riding in front of the white wash? Or playing chicken with the wave? It is definitely possible to surf the wave it self using a foil board.

Look I am not saying I would foil board every wave... I am saying it has its own merits, and that it is different from a regular surfboard...but what I don't get is why you or that other guy would take a few assumptions about foilboards..and then just blanket generalize it. Obviously if all you get from riding a wave is how hard you can smack the lip then obviously foilboarding is not for you...but neither are large waves nor are sloppy waves...

I kind of doubt you get clean medium sized pitching waves every session...but hey that might be because I don't get that even living in Hawaii. So why limit yourself?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:39 am

tautologies wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:

....is an illusion

LOL goes to show what you know about foil boarding...or waves for that matter. Do you use a regular surfboard? In actual waves?
Did I say anything about riding in front of the white wash? Or playing chicken with the wave? It is definitely possible to surf the wave it self using a foil board.

Look I am not saying I would foil board every wave... I am saying it has its own merits, and that it is different from a regular surfboard...but what I don't get is why you or that other guy would take a few assumptions about foilboards..and then just blanket generalize it. Obviously if all you get from riding a wave is how hard you can smack the lip then obviously foilboarding is not for you...but neither are large waves nor are sloppy waves...

I kind of doubt you get clean medium sized pitching waves every session...but hey that might be because I don't get that even living in Hawaii. So why limit yourself?
Totally agree taut. Whatever mindset these guys are have adopted is in my definition closed. Besides no one has proved you cannot smack the lip with a foil board... I'm sure it's a matter of time when the board can be used with or without the foil....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:20 am

BraCuru wrote: Wrong, wrong, wrong! Who rode waves knows what I am talking about :idea:
exactly. Its different but definitely contact with the wave.
It’s a matter of time to see top foilers riding more waves, doing aerials, crazy tricks and generally bending our classical understanding of wave riding. I believe and enjoy it :D
Simple jumps and rotations are easy, so I have not doubt that they will start exploring aerials on the wave too. There are some physical attributes to the setup I think will be hard to get rid of, but then again I am not the guy who develops those tricks in the first place lol.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 am

tautologies wrote: LOL goes to show what you know about foil boarding...or waves for that matter. Do you use a regular surfboard? In actual waves?

I kind of doubt you get clean medium sized pitching waves every session
You are correct..not every session that is for sure...but this afternoon they were 1 ft overhead faces

Long wave sets with sideshore wind 15-20 kn....using actual surfboard in actual waves

Was riding the waves off the wind backside with kite drifting and front lines going slack ....
.....actual wave riding and surfing feeling 100% the wave going nearly parallel to the shoreline

I have seen kite foil done in the surf and tried it too...so i know something

Have you kitesurfed on a surfboard 235 days this year like i did and do not own a twin tip ?

:cheers: :surf:
Last edited by SupaEZ on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 am

SupaEZ wrote:That is what a foilboard cannot do well at all...the front lines must keep pulling to keep the board up..
Actually the foilboard stays up by the power of the wave pushing it just the same way a surfboard is powered. It is a strange feeling like an invisible hand pushing the foilboard.

I am no expert and I am still more comfortable on my kite surfboard in the waves, but I have certainly enjoyed trying my foilboard wave riding. And you should try a foilboard on the face of a big swell for an amazingly fast and smooth ride.

:wink: CG

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:36 am

SupaEZ wrote:
tautologies wrote: LOL goes to show what you know about foil boarding...or waves for that matter. Do you use a regular surfboard? In actual waves?

I kind of doubt you get clean medium sized pitching waves every session
You are correct..not every session that is for sure...but this afternoon they were 1 ft overhead faces

Long wave sets with sideshore wind 15-20 kn....using actual surfboard in actual waves

Was riding the waves off the wind backside with kite drifting and front lines going slack ....
.....actual wave riding and surfing feeling 100% the wave going nearly parallel to the shoreline

I have seen kite foil done in the surf and tried it too...so i know something

Have you kitesurfed on a surfboard 235 days this year like i did and do not own a twin tip ?

:cheers: :surf:

What is it you are actually adding to the conversation here? Do you have a hate on for taut now as well?
1. You think you know more then everyone else
2. You think you ride more then anyone else. Yes you ride more then I do... You win... Still what's the point of the above post aside from chest pumping?

We get it... Is it really needed to keep reminding us? You're like that guy everyone avoids starting a conversation with because everyone knows where it will go.... Supa... You are the king of light wind and wave riding... So can we just have a conversation here without you adding nothing to the conversation? Yes double negative but in this case it makes sense.

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1988
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.

Postby Bob Marley » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:40 am

For sure it can be done but you'd be happier on a regular surfboard.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 am

I'd be happier on a Mako but that's just me...

There are guys that tow in on Foils and they are truly feeling the power of the wave. Big Big Big power.

iblocalsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Imperial Beach
Favorite Beaches: For kiting: Imperial Beach, Raul's, San Quintin, Strand, Pico
For Surfing: Imperial Beach, Baja Norte
Style: surf
Gear: Blade, North, Liquid Force
Firewire

Postby iblocalsurfer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:58 am

Found this.......

"This was a cool—but forgettable—sideshow in the pantheon of alternative sports. At least until master surfer Laird Hamilton applied foilboards to big-wave surfing. The advantage of foil boarding is that, since the board doesn’t touch the water’s surface, there is none of the chatter normally associated with riding choppy ocean water at preposterously high speeds. As the quest for being the first person to surf a 100-foot wave continues among surfing’s elite, a foilboard could be the board that makes it possible. Whether or not that happens, Hamilton is determined to bring foil surfing back from certain oblivion."
Last edited by iblocalsurfer on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”