forum for kitesurfers

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil - wave riding

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:54 am

SupaEZ wrote:
You are correct..not every session that is for sure...but this afternoon they were 1 ft overhead faces

Long wave sets with sideshore wind 15-20 kn....using actual surfboard in actual waves

Was riding the waves off the wind backside with kite drifting and front lines going slack ....
.....actual wave riding and surfing feeling 100% the wave going nearly parallel to the shoreline

I have seen kite foil done in the surf and tried it too...so i know something

Have you kitesurfed on a surfboard 235 days this year like i did and do not own a twin tip ?

:cheers: :surf:
I was just curious if you were riding foils / or even surfboards. It just didn't sound like you did. I have no idea about the relevance of the rest of your post.

Now to specify my post a little better...I am not into constraining what I ride before I have even tried it. We all have preferences..personally I never much cared for skimboards with kites..but I am not going to knock it for someone else...just because they like it. I decided after trying and yes I do have skimboards. I am all for it if you have found one way that works for you...personally I have all sorts of boards and yes I have a TT. I am not into limiting myself..I will never be the best at any of them and that is fine I just like riding and trying new things.

Like CGlazier is saying the wave push a foil exactly the same way it does a regular surfboard if you don't get it thats fine too :-)

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:19 am

'1ft overhead faces' ...

I'm still trying to work that one out ?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 pm

buzzz wrote:'1ft overhead faces' ...

6+1=7 ft

When Robbie Naish and Pete Cabrinha who are very experienced wave riders under sail.....
...switch from surfboards to foilboards...and say it is better..than the world will be convinced

:bye:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:41 pm

SupaEZ wrote: When Robbie Naish and Pete Cabrinha who are very experienced wave riders under sail.....
...switch from surfboards to foilboards...and say it is better..than the world will be convinced

:bye:
Sigh.
Nobody is talking about better. The whole discussion is about to extent you can...which is proven by both video and experiences...

Riding a foil in waves is a different experience. Same thing as TT vs directional or strapped vs unstrapped. They are different experiences and in their own right very nice.

My buddies tow-in using foils in large ocean swell. I'm sure that can easily be done with a kite too given the right conditions. Personally I was surprised at how small wave you can actually surf. I never thought about it until I experienced it and but now it does make sense.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:12 pm

That is when you are lying down, so 1 feet waves is almost double head height then (depending on how thickheaded you are), thus overhead :lol:

8) PF

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:

That is when you are lying down, so 1 feet waves is almost double head height then (depending on how thickheaded you are), thus overhead :lol:

8) PF
lol..or as we call it here...double-over-ankle.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:57 am

tautologies wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) PF
lol..or as we call it here...double-over-ankle.
Glad to provide material for entertainment :D

Smaller waves today with 1 ft underhead faces for my (236 th) day riding my surfboards this year

I think what would be missed the most about foiling in waves is losing the ability and pleasure of...
....carving a hard turn to toeside on a wave face without being able to drag your hand in the water

:bye: :surf:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:50 am

SupaEZ wrote: I think what would be missed the most about foiling in waves is losing the ability and pleasure of...
....carving a hard turn to toeside on a wave face without being able to drag your hand in the water

:bye: :surf:
I agree that is nice. :-)

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo Kites, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards, 24Surf.pl
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF, Cabrinha

Postby BraCuru » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:09 am

tautologies wrote:I agree that is nice. :-)
Oooo yeah! It is very nice and...
...doable 8)
I think bigger problem is to match into the barrel smaller than the '1ft overhead faces' :wink:
That it's the place where we are limited not only by our skills and imagination.

SupaEZ - you are the man who might prove it working! Could you spare 23 days of your 236 next year for foiling in waves please. It's only 10% but it's like 10 seasons for me. With your wave experience you would take kiteboarding to the new dimensions like for example Mitu did with wave riding or wave freestyle :idea:

BTW. I remember him when I experienced Punta Preta in 2007. He was unknown to the world and we thought he was some crazy local waterman trying to prove that strapless might be done on powerful waves or that jumping with strapless board was possible.
4 years later nobody was surprised to see kitelooping, handlepassing, or other sick tricks.
6 years later nobody even try to ride in straps in KSP tour.

I hope and feel this sort of changes are ahead of foilboarding :bye:

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:56 pm

SupaEZ wrote:What is the point of timing your turn on a wave in front of the whitewater

Playing chicken with the waves ain't riding them....

...plus trying to make yourself believe you are doing so just because you are on a surfboard.....

....is an illusion

To ride a wave ....it has to be surfed...hence the word surfboard

The board bottom surface that is in contact with the water gets on a plane

Levitating does not need waves...just water

Time for all you wave foilers to get over it :wink:
I agree also, the right tool for the job :thumb:
It is like trying to combine 2 religion which never worked and never will like Muslim & Buddhist :nono:
It's not the tools that you have faith in - tools are just tools :!:
They work, or they don't work.
Hydrofoils are magnificent tools for the realization levitating above the water,
but no Hydrofoil can replace the human spirit of surfing, the direct contact with the water.

DrLW

Return to “Kitesurfing”