2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Setup for Maui

Postby Rido » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Well I am a new beginner. I talked with my instructor about this before but I feel bad for messaging him 24/7. As most of you know there are many articles out there but I have an odd question.

I dont think I will be doing tricks, probably just freeride. Maybe a few jumps but overall I think I will just enjoy feeling the wind blowing through my face. etc.

I am 5'10 190 lbs. I will probably drop to 180 by then.

. I was looking at the catalyst and was probably going to purchase it right before my move to maui in late january.

The setup I was looking for was either an 8m or 10m. Now I wanted to get 15m lines and then a 5m extension with it. I really enjoyed flying with shorter lines as I was learning and I love the fast control and reaction
I was wondering if there was anything negative with a bigger kite and shorter lines vs a normal kite for me and normal lines?

I dont see a sticky here for beginners here but if anyone has a link to some good reads I would love that as well.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Setup for Maui

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Get Progression DVD for beginners at http://www.progression.me/videos/type/d ... Mgodli0AxQ

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dejavu » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:52 pm

I have kited at kitebeach twice. Be very alert. The beach is tricky for launch and landing. Once out it is strong and usually steady. I am a similar size and weight and have used an 8 with good power. Recently winds have been light so you could even pack a 12 just in case.

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako

Postby Rido » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 am

dejavu wrote:I have kited at kitebeach twice. Be very alert. The beach is tricky for launch and landing. Once out it is strong and usually steady. I am a similar size and weight and have used an 8 with good power. Recently winds have been light so you could even pack a 12 just in case.
I am a beginning kiter. I learned on kite beach. I am getting little rides in and my instructor said I know everything that is important and it is my job to learn to ride from here on out. I wanted one kite size that I could manipulate so I could use it as an all around kite. I dont think I will be doing tricks and what not, but I think I will just ride. I learned on an 8m catalyst and will be purchasing it before my move. So I was thinking if a 10m was good enough and I could use 15m lines and purchase 5m extensions. I guess the 8m is probably the best route.

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.

Postby jplmain » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 am

Short lines will make your kite fast and whippy. For control use lines that come with your kite. 15 meter lines are for intermediate to pro kiters that play around in the surf. You might of learn walking the beach on 15 lines and thats just so the kite does not hit the trees. You will will have more control with longer lines like 20 to 24 meters because you will have more time to make decisions and movements in your transitions. Small kite and short lines just make control harder.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:00 am

I've always taken a 9m and 12m there and I'm the same size as you. If I could take only one then I would go with a 10m Crossbow since it has a big range. January is a lighter wind month so I would want my 12 or more, mid-summer on the bigger days I'm finding my 9 is too big, so I'm going to add a 6 or 7.

The new Cabrinha kites for 2014 will be fully announced in August so you should be able to get some good deals on prior model years in January. You might think about waiting till you get there and can check all the deals on Maui at the local shops and schools and you can still go online.

Rido
Medium Poster
Levee Texas
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako

Postby Rido » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:I've always taken a 9m and 12m there and I'm the same size as you. If I could take only one then I would go with a 10m Crossbow since it has a big range. January is a lighter wind month so I would want my 12 or more, mid-summer on the bigger days I'm finding my 9 is too big, so I'm going to add a 6 or 7.

The new Cabrinha kites for 2014 will be fully announced in August so you should be able to get some good deals on prior model years in January. You might think about waiting till you get there and can check all the deals on Maui at the local shops and schools and you can still go online.
Well I learned on the catalyst 2013. I wouldn't mind purchasing a new kite if there is any benefit to it. Everyone has told me to always purchase new lines. though.

Would there be any benefit for 2014? I know its hard to find the catalyst used

Ozone distributor/ a store is located in Corpus Christi tx from what I have been told. I live in Houston, so I wouldn't mind making a drive over there to take a look.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:08 am

I'm not a fan of used kites, but I do like buying new prior year model kites because they can usually be found at big discounts off full retail price. Each year there are improvements, so 2014 will have some advancements.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 am

Last year I kited 15 days in kite beach, always used a 7. I'm an intermediate, 78 kilos. Be careful when launching and landing, it's normally steady and strong outside but close to the beach can be gusty and unpredictable. Plenty of space anyway.

Rido
Medium Poster
Levee Texas
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako

Postby Rido » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 am

pmaggie wrote:Last year I kited 15 days in kite beach, always used a 7. I'm an intermediate, 78 kilos. Be careful when launching and landing, it's normally steady and strong outside but close to the beach can be gusty and unpredictable. Plenty of space anyway.
Yea I noticed that when I was learning. I think I am pretty decent at controls so far with landing as a beginner. The biggest thing I hate about kite beach is the reef. For some reason I am the only nice person that hits it. :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”