Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite that does well for Jumping and Waves?

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite that does well for Jumping and Waves?

Postby BWD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:49 am

I have had fun on a thruster with a 13m C4 in waves and it will blast off in jumps too, needs short lines if onshore wind though, it's not perfect in drift, but it is a very versatile kite.
Maybe a 12m catalyst or 13m c4?
If you are looking for winds 15+ slingshot RPM 12m would be good, too. 14 rpm is way too slow for waves imo.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:57 am

if you get a chance try the 2014 Rally
not quite as fast a turn as the 2012 but close on the fastest setting
jumps better, floats, drifts as well or better
loops better, with some pull this time

overall a better kite all the way around
disclaimer: i buy my own stuff, no affiliations and ride/have owned lots of kites

but remember, just my opinion, try 'em yourself and have fun

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:21 am

knotwindy wrote:if you get a chance try the 2014 Rally
not quite as fast a turn as the 2012 but close on the fastest setting
jumps better, floats, drifts as well or better
loops better, with some pull this time

overall a better kite all the way around
disclaimer: i buy my own stuff, no affiliations and ride/have owned lots of kites

but remember, just my opinion, try 'em yourself and have fun

I had a crack on a 2014 rally only two days ago. Yeh man I was pleasantly suprised hey. It is such a fun, quick kite to be on. Has such a unique shape through to the wingtips. Worth checking out. Wouldn't be my first choice but it is as I said a really good all rounder.

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force
Been thanked: 0

Postby VOMKB » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 am

Consider the NRG 14. It fits what you are looking for. Here is a review I found in the forum: viewtopic.php?t=2378973&p=779372

Jaime
Last edited by VOMKB on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:51 am

yep, lots of good kites out there right now. good time to be a rider, just find one that fits your style for now cause if you ride a lot there is a good chance your style will evolve and so will your kite choice.
the OP asked for a good jumping kite that was also good in the waves, a tough mix for sure but i stick by the new Rally as very good at both those things. much better than the older ones, anyway......
yea i know, every years new kite is better, faster, more stable, relaunches better, will walk your dog, make your breakfast and drive you home from the pub, blah, blah, blah

everything except cost less!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:57 am

I agree with what some says here.

Go for the best jumping and maneuverable kite you like the most :thumb:

As easy as that IMO :naughty:

You are not a heavyweight, which means that kites bigger than 10m2 dont need to be specific wavekites :roll:

I often ride with big kites in waves, but it does not matter if I use a super powerful (fast turning) race kite like the Chrono, or a really huge windrange wavekite like the Furia.

Both works equally well.

Many uses more classic C kites in light wind (a big no no in "normal" high wind because of lack of windrange and depower), as they are maybe even better for wavekiting with bigger sizes, because they turn well, and you can generate power on demand much better.

The key for good "wave"kites in light wind is IMO, that the kite turns well - and can generate power on demand 8)

Drift makes no sense at all in my eyes, above 10m2 for the average weight rider.

So very different to smaller "wave"kites, where we (most) want:

1. Turn good or really fast.
2. It must NOT generate too much power when flying faster, aka having big windrange too.
3. Drift well when parked or ridden with slack lines.

This goes for small wavekites, but very different from big kites in waves.

For big ones, they must also turn really well yes, so #1 holds.

But most wants the very opposite regarding #2, namely that you can REALLY generate power on demand and got some power, always !
You can also choose one size smaller kite, when powerful, which is a huge advantage in waves regarding handling (and drift for that matter).
You will never be overpowered and feel the need for windrange, in these sizes - in fact just the opposite - you will often lack to be able to get the kite "moving" and give just a little bit of power, when riding down the line :wink:

#3 drift does not mean anything, because, as soon as you got the hang of it, you dont need drift in these sizes - you have to ride very different, and also turn the kite instead.

So I would choose a powerful not too big, but fast turning kite for light wind waveriding

:D Peter

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

Well that nrg review is mine by the way. Can't seem to get one over here in Western Australia it seems 2014, not sure the retailer is going to get a demo in at the moment, which is weird because he has the envy which we all tried the other day.

Peter good comments and you have described the dice to a TE.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 am

Airush Wave 9m

Get a demo, you will be surprised

Good freeride, good in the waves, boosts, goes up wind, drifts, makes power when you want it, doesn't when you don't

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Having had a wave session on Sunday I rode strapless and flew my 2009 Rev 11m. I did my normal stuff. Then I took out my friend's 10m 2012 Switchblade and did better. It seemed to pull better, absorb gusts, maybe more park and ride. Did the kite drift like that 2012 Rally 12m? No.

When I started out I was hell bent on consistency so I got the Revs in all sizes. I think I will be mixing and matching the quiver from now on.

Like the idea of Dice/Reo. Like the idea of Rebel, Catalyst, Switchblade... Will research Trigger, Airush Wave and NRG... Maybe new Rally... Cant stand SS below bar depower...

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby jwoodunlv » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:47 pm

I've been riding waves for a couple of years now and have ridden Naish Sigma kites as well as a best waroo. I'm riding switch nitro 2's now and I was a bit hesitant at first because it's not designed for riding waves or drift. I tried my friends 10m on a twin tip and the thing just blasts in the jumps. What sold me on it for waves though was when I would rip fast heel side and toe side carves. The kite would just back up while turning and give you some juice while riding straight downwind. Hadn't experienced that on any kite before. I bought the 8 and the 12. The eight will scare the shit out of you in the jumps when the wind is 25+ but amazingly will give you plenty of power in the high teens. The 8 is not so great in the surf but you can make it work if you depower it a bit. The 12m is a different story. Tons of low end, still boosts high, but it is magical in the waves. It is just rock solid stable and won't fall out of the sky. It drifts extremely well and turns fast enough so that you can loop it to stay on a wave and it won't yank you off the board. If you get the chance, try one out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”