Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Re: Leash for Kite"surfing"

Postby leepasty » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 pm

if you get rolled by a wave a reel leash will still get wrapped around the lines and then how do you release it?
we are talking about kite surfing here with a surfboard not riding a tt so you should never be at full power with your kite!
never attach a surf leash to your harness as if you do get spring back it will come straight back towards your back and your head. on your leg it is more likely to miss you.
i have found the xm tangle free to be much better as it doesnt get tangles around your feet during foot changes with tacks and gybes.
if you get rolled by a wave any leash can get wrapped around your lines or body so you must practise taking it off under water.
just look at all kitewave videos how many people do you see with a reel leash?
always way up the pros and cons of wearing a leash for each session and if the cons out way the pros go leashless :D

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Roll Leash

Postby tomatkins » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:56 pm

dazarter wrote:Ever heard of a roll leash? works about 100 times better than a normal surf leash, board never can spring back at you - ever, and after a spill the board just comes slowly back to you….….
I hope the “roll leash” that is referred to, is not some variation on the old Oceanic Reel Leash shown in the attached picture. If it is one of these, then please read this lengthy analysis of the physics and the scenario, which is likely to take place a split second after this picture was taken:

"I wonder if all of the injuries (in the gory pictures) resulted from some “variation of the theme”, happening in the few seconds after this picture was taken. The “theme”, which may be the common element of most board injuries, would be that of the “loading up” of the leash, due to the resistance of the board, causing the leash to stretch, and thereby gain “potential energy”…which then turns into the “kinetic energy” force, responsible for propelling the board toward the kiter?

I haven’t tested the conventional surfboard leash, but have tested the ½ inch single thickness, nylon webbing strap that comes with the Oceanic Reel leash for its ability to store up this “potential energy”…and the results were scary…I would like to know how the plastic tubing of the conventional surfboard leash compares to the ½ inch webbing.

Here are some facts:

(1) When I applied 85 pounds of force (with my weight machine) to a 44 inch length of the ½ inch webbing, the webbing stretched about 4 inches (11% of its length). When the webbing was under tension and I applied about 100 pounds more of force to the suspended weights, it made the 85 pounds of weights on the machine…bounce up and down about an inch.

(2) This ½ webbing has a rated strength of 1000 pounds. Like most strength ratings, this is probably an under-rating of the true strength.

(3) The webbing is about 4 times as long as my test sample, so I think that it is reasonable to assume that the full length of the webbing can be loaded up with at least 4 times 85 pounds of force or 260 pounds of force…and I would guess that the full potential load and resulting force of the leash would be 3 times that amount of force.
(4) Without doing the math to determine the momentum with which an 8 pound kiteboard has the potential to slam into the kiter’s body, I would conclude from the damage seen in those pictures that it is something to be feared and respected.

(5) The fact that many kiters have actually broken the webbing on the reel leash indicates that the situation actually occurs, whereby the webbing is loaded up with more than 1000 pounds of force. The expected deterioration with time may allow the leash to break at less that this force, so this should be considered also.

(6) When these leashes break, most often the conclusion of the kiter, and the resultant complaint from kiter is: “the problem with the leash is that is not STRONG enough’…Why don’t kiters conclude that the breaking of the leash was a good thing?

Answer: Kiters don’t wear the reel leash on their ankle or wrist, or I think that they would conclude that it was good that the leash broke, when it did. Instead the leash is attached to the harness, and the harness is attached to the kite… and the source of the force on the leash is the power supplied by the kite. The kiter’s role in this system of lines and power supply can be viewed as simply …”ballast”… so the kiter never feels the extreme forces from the resistance of the board loading up due to the action of it “tombstoneing” or “fish-luring” of the board in the water.

If all of the injuries, shown in the pictures, were due to this one factor…that of the extreme ‘loading-up’ of the leash webbing material, then, I suspect that most of these injuries could have been prevented by the insertion of a “tension-triggered” automatic release, into the leash design. Many different “fuse” or “breakable link” designs have been suggested on this and other kite forums…everything from a piece of string with a breaking rating of 50 kilos…to straps of Velcro…to 50 pound rated zip-ties…to plastic snap shackles…to a design, suggested by the forum member ‘Kamikuza’ involving the use of bungee and quick-release. I favor Kamikuza’s suggestion, and have created and tested such a device. Some time in the future, I will present the results of this design and the on-the-water testing of this project.

I wonder how many of the injuries, shown in the pictures would have been prevented by the use of a “tension-triggered” automatic release? I would like to see the “paper work” on each of these injuries…that is a description of the type of leash each victim was wearing, and a play-by-play description of what happened. I would be surprised if many detailed accounts of such incidents were available, however, due to the fact that this kind of incident happens quickly and is rarely witnessed. Also, things are happening too fast for the victim to remember much of anything, and head wounds may result in amnesia.

The loading-up effect of a board leash may be a major factor in most board leash injuries, but I suspect that there are other ways that a board leash can result in injuries. For instance, a friend told me that she broke a rib once when she jumped and the board came off and remained in the landing zone, resulting in a situation which would have been less likely, without a leash. I have heard of other incidents where the leash got wrapped around the kiter, or the board went through the lines, like a bobbin on a weaving loom, leaving the board in an awkward position.

I wonder how likely it would be to receive an injury from a board, simply swinging on the end of a leash, as the kiter performs a jump where the board slips off the kiters feet…it would seem more likely to happen on big jumps, air jibes, or beginners practicing back rolls.

When an injury from a board leash is made public on forums such as Kiteforum, rarely is there a description of the incident, and usually the incident is posted by someone other than the victim… along with the standard warning.

If a kiter chooses, for some reason, to use a certain type of board leash, there are some obvious things that the kiter can do to decrease the risk of severe injury, such as:

(1) Don’t hook up the leash until you are in the water
(2) Don’t use sharp edged fins
(3) Don’t attempt to learn tricks
(4) Use a board without sharp or serrated (from wear and tear) edges
(5) Wear protective gear
(6) Attach the leash to the board in a manner which minimizes the likelihood of the board “tombstoning”
(7) Incorporate a “breakable link” into the leash
(8) Attach the leash to the harness with a “push-away” quick release
(9) Attach the leash to the board with a quick release
(10) Use the appropriate length leash for the conditions, such as wave riding, long-distance crossings, flat water, etc.

These suggestions are only a few of many ideas that may be able to make a certain type of leash “safer”, but of course, no board leash will be a “safe leash”."
Attachments
kf-leash%20stretched%20%20pre-recoil.jpg
kf-leash%20stretched%20%20pre-recoil.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 1833 times

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby tr3v » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:04 am

I cannot think of a single reason to put a leash on a TT.

With regard to leashes on harnesses, I rescued a guy the other day in large surf who had had his board tethered to his harness. His harness had broken, and the kite flew away downwind, with his bar/lines, harness and board all attached.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:21 am

The most important thing is to rewire your brain as of which way you are going to point your kite after the wave eats you. You have to kill that old instinct of following the board and do the opposite. Once you have that then it is OK. Reel leashes with TT's continuous to be a big no no, no matter what.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:26 am

TheJoe wrote:I think it would be nice if there was a break away system for board leashes. So that they would release under a certain load.

For static line base jumps I use a "Break" line that breaks at exactly eighty pounds of pressure. Any more any less i'm dead, so it's pretty reliable. If you could figure out what breaking pressure was adequate, I'm sure there is a line to meet your needs. Just make sure you double check the breaking point when the line is wet. Stuff seems to get stronger when it's wet..... Like painters tape.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:26 am

Personally I think the only time you should use a leash is because the chance of injury/death is greater if don't use one.

I can only think of a couple of instance when this might be the case.
* There is a lot of large toothed friends threatening to eat you. Pretty unlikely.
* Your way out to sea on some remote point break and you don't want to loose your surfboard so you can paddle home if need be.....

That's about it.

If your using a leash just so you don't loose your board, or because you are practicing tricks and don't want the inconvenience dragging back to your board. What a muppet.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:43 am

Very good points made here.....but have you ever used a roll-leash? I have for the last two years without one single problem whatsoever. attaching my leash to my foot can never be safer than on the harness, you always have access to your harness with a quickrealease...on your foot - nothing... i have used a normal surf leash and they are to say the least deadly, they spring back at a really fast rate....
A roll leash is really gut for tt, i ride in conditions where the most people would not, that means gusty, from 10 knots to 25 is normal where i live....there is no chance to get to the board....its also cold here, water is in summer 18 degrees and in winter 0 degrees, i kite down to about 6 degrees. its a matter of safety really, and I've had so many bad jumps, bankrolls, front rolls etc behind me now, and the roll leash does handle it with perfection. For beginners maybe no leash is good because they are always flying everywhere....how often do you drop your board? i don't drop it a lot when i ride normally, doing new tricks or trying very often....point is the roll leash is not dangerous.....but still a higher rick than not having one!
For me i would rather always have my board than freeze swimming a long way, have my board under my feet quicker and loss no time on the water...
I do also use the leash with a surfboard but am just starting out with the waves...we don't have massive waves here in germany.. :wink:

p,s i could not see the pictures that were posted....and please theory is great but practice is much better - don't commend on a roll leash until you have tried one...., the pros don't and won't use one while it is too uncool! for us normal everyday riders it really does have a place if you can accept it works and how it looks! :roll: im a big of the muppets... :lol:

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:17 pm

dazarter wrote:Very good points made here.....but have you ever used a roll-leash?
I would guess that most of us who were kiting in 2002, switched from using the conventional poly surfboard leash to using the Oceanic Reel Leash (I believe that this is the leash that you are refering to). It was common for a beginner taking kite lessons to be advised to “learn how to use the leash”, and do so by dragging and “teabagging”, in the water, with the board. This common teaching practice only lasted a few years, as the number of injuries accumulated and were reported on web sites like the “kitemare” one and on this forum. The practice of using a board leash was abandoned as a common standard procedure.

The only somewhat “positive” case that could be made for the use of this retractable, spring-wound leash is that because of the advances made in kite design, allowing much more instantaneous depowering of kites... the use of this type of leash is not AS dangerous as it used to be... but the use of it is still not advised by the leaders of the kiting industry.

It sounds like you might be decieved by the outrageous claim made in the first picture... and which would not be supported by the opinion of some of the people in the second picture. I know that this “printed lie” was not believed by the guy I took to the emergency room, and watched him get 15 stiches put into his scalp, as a result of an injury from this “roll” leash. After that incident, I began to work on the design of a “force triggered” release mechanism to be placed on a board leash. I would hope that you would do the same, before you experience the need for it, and only then, change your outlook.

I can see why some kiters would choose to use a leash under some conditions, and the conditions you describe may fall into that category of need, but I would advise the use of a leash, with a safer design.

Best of luck in making kiting safer for yourself and others...
Attachments
kf-retracto%20leash%20ad.jpg
kf-retracto%20leash%20ad.jpg (114.98 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
leash related injuries.jpg
leash related injuries.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

dazarter
Medium Poster

Postby dazarter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Sorry mate, don't believe the fotos were with a roll leash….they are the common pictures doing the rounds on the internet….like always they are from a normal leash - not roll leash…

when did i say you should teach with a leash? sorry i did not :)

you have never even used a roll leash right? if so you would know it is not possible for the board to come back with such force …..

Like everyone sure I'm looking for the safest method to kite - but a leash on your foot is really the wrong way to go about things

please give me real situations that have happened in real life with a roll leash - not just what you hope happened to scare everybody :evil: , there are properly so many pictures of people injured from kiting on the internet (just look a pros knees) and they don't even use a leash…..

dazarter
Medium Poster

Postby dazarter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:09 pm

just for info….i use the same one with a different attachment….would really recommend it…with the original attachment elastic to the board fin…..

Return to “Kitesurfing”