Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach
Style: all style
Gear: best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

check this out: a very cool new wind meter

Postby XtremeBigAir » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:59 am

check this out: a very cool new wind meter. inexpensive under $30 :-)
http://xtremebigair.com/WeatherFlow-Win ... 63C86.aspx
Works with iPhone, iPad, iPod, and all major Android devices.
The WeatherFlow Wind Meter is the first of its kind by a US-based manufacturer, having been engineered here then calibrated at the University of Florida's Aerospace Engineering Department. You know WeatherFlow from iKitesurf.com, iWindsurf.com, Wind Alert, SailFlow, and FishWeather. Needless to say, they've been around, they know windmeters, and this revolutionary product is no exception to their standard to view and share live-action weather.
The Wind Meter works with a FREE App for your mobile iOS or Android devices recording wind speed (average, lull, and gusts), wind direction, and location. Precision readings (+/- 0.5% or 0.1m/s at up to 15 degrees off axis) in m/s, mph, knots, km/h, and beaufort scales with range from 2mph to 125 mph. Not only does the WeatherFlow Wind Meter come in rugged eco-friendly packaging that doubles as a handy storage case, it fits in your pocket when not in use. When attached, you can share on-site reports with WeatherFlow, Instagram, Vine, Twitter, SMS, Email, or Facebook.
Better data, better decisions.
Attachments
WeatherFlow_with_case.JPG
WeatherFlow_with_case.JPG (32.63 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
WeatherFlow.JPG
WeatherFlow.JPG (23.99 KiB) Viewed 5615 times

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:04 am

Fail. This should be a non directional meter. Ultimately you should be able to set this up close to your vehicle run a cable to your iPhone locked in your car and broadcast current wind as needed.
Short of that its already been done

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:13 am

I am sure you could add an extension cable.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:21 am

Well maybe but exactly how would you manage to keep it perfectly facing the wind?
This is a poor copy of this. http://vaavud.com/

Neither are usefull beyond your standard hand held meter.
Think outside the box and bring something really unique to the market!

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:44 am

It may not actually have any electronics for remote application some of these types of phone meters actually use the magnetic sensors in the phone and the earphone jack is just a handy dandy holder to keep it close enough to the phone to work. I believe this the way the vaavud works.

I prefer the non directional type too.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:22 am

What's the point in having a wind meter when you're already at beach? I'll check out the remote wind readings when I'm making plans/decisions to head to beach, but once your at the water what's the meter for? I just look at water,trees etc, grab the right kite and head out. Seems like one more layer of needless info.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 am

pj sofine wrote:What's the point in having a wind meter when you're already at beach? I'll check out the remote wind readings when I'm making plans/decisions to head to beach, but once your at the water what's the meter for? I just look at water,trees etc, grab the right kite and head out. Seems like one more layer of needless info.
The point is to share info with your mates who have not yet figured out if it is worth booking the afternoon off or them sharing the info with you.... I'm sure if there were wind sensors in the area this becomes a mute point but I can tell you for sure in and around the Great Lakes there is a severe shortage of accurate time sensitive sensors in operation. I'm sure this is not the only place with the same shortage.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:50 am

Laughingman wrote:
pj sofine wrote:What's the point in having a wind meter when you're already at beach? I'll check out the remote wind readings when I'm making plans/decisions to head to beach, but once your at the water what's the meter for? I just look at water,trees etc, grab the right kite and head out. Seems like one more layer of needless info.
The point is to share info with your mates who have not yet figured out if it is worth booking the afternoon off or them sharing the info with you.... I'm sure if there were wind sensors in the area this becomes a mute point but I can tell you for sure in and around the Great Lakes there is a severe shortage of accurate time sensitive sensors in operation. I'm sure this is not the only place with the same shortage.
Gotcha , mobile human wind reporters helping out the crew with actual readings! Probalbly more accurate then my simple, "it's blowing hard, get your ass down here!"

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:47 am

Laughingman wrote:Fail. This should be a non directional meter. Ultimately you should be able to set this up close to your vehicle run a cable to your iPhone locked in your car and broadcast current wind as needed.
Short of that its already been done
I read about the vaavud last week and they have an API for their tool....that makes it very very interesting.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:50 am

Laughingman wrote: Neither are usefull beyond your standard hand held meter.
Think outside the box and bring something really unique to the market!
I think you are wrong here. Since Vaavud has an API that you can access all you really have to do is make your own app, and access the information from the device to make it far useful beyond any handheld windmeter that I have seen.

Return to “Kitesurfing”