14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter

Postby Flight Time » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:36 am

Is it really necessary to have a wind meter? I mean, maybe if you're green and can't judge the conditions, it might be fine, but has anyone who has been kiting say over a year ever looked at the conditions, thought it looked fine, put up a 12 and died? I have never owned a meter, and never really felt the need. Some people at the local spot have them, but they are mainly brought out when the conditions are marginal, and examined while sadly shaking one's head, and put away again, only to be pulled back out again 5 minutes later when there has been absolutely no change. :lol:

tsulczynski
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mariner Park, Homer Spit Alaska
Beluga Lake, Homer Alaska (snow/ice kiting)
Homer Spit (kiteskating)
Favorite Beaches: Mariner Park - Homer, Alaska
Eyak Lake - Cordova, Alaska
Ocean Beach - San Francisco, CA
Gear: Wheels of Doom,.Home made 3.5ft long ice skates, downhill skis, snowboard, kiteboard, buggy, mountainboard, and for giggles waterskis.
Favorite kites at the moment:
9m Vari Vulcan, 11m Epic Renegade, 14m Eclipse Thruster, 5.5m Flexifoil Ion4 and 16m North Rebel for the water.
Peter Lynn 7m Lynx, 12m Phantom and 16m Venom for land. And when the winds are nuking a3m PKD Buster modified to depower.

Postby tsulczynski » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 am

That's hilarious, you just described me to the tee. If it's on I don't bother, but if it's marginal I pull out the windmeter just to affirm that it really isn't gonna happen... Although I did pull it out once or twice in 40+ winds to make sure that the 4m was going to get me a ride

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:06 am

Maybe im in the minority here because I have grey hair, but I leave my phone in my car (that's if I remember to bring it). I don't like electronics around the salt and sand. Nor do I care for informing the world that its actually 16 knots instead of the15 forecasted. I think there is enough data (e.g. windalert... which is free) to plan your day / spot accordingly. Wind alert has always been pretty accurate for me (+/- 2/3 kts). Im just not a fan of having my phone around the beach. But hey, Im old and that's just me. LIke some others said... read the windalert forecast, go to spot, feel the direction, look at the trees and other guys out there. Go ride. Seems simple enough to me.

Cool gadget and idea, but nothing I would ever need. But I can see how some like the gadgets, etc.
Flight Time wrote: I have never owned a meter, and never really felt the need. Some people at the local spot have them, but they are mainly brought out when the conditions are marginal, and examined while sadly shaking one's head, and put away again, only to be pulled back out again 5 minutes later when there has been absolutely no change. :lol:
Spot On! :lol:

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 am

Guys while I can understand your point of view about not needing an accurate wind reading device there are many reasons why having one is convenient and interesting that we have no need tu o really debate. You are sort of high jacking this thread, in a good natured way of course, but we would like to hear from the manufacturer about any possibility to calibrate this unit. Today we tried again side by side comparisons with two different meters and Weather flow measured consistently 2.5 to 4 knots Less. ALSO tried the moving car- out-window trick at 20kph and meter read about 13-15 kph.

hopefully WFlow can chime in hear or someone who has had better luck than us with this product. Thanx and GOOD WINDS TO ALL

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 am

ChiroJoseph: is your phone on the list of compatible devices? I bought one for my samsung note II, it didn't work properly, with the symptoms you note. Eventually confirmed with them that my phone was not in fact compatible....the power supply to the headphone jack is not strong enough or some such. You may want to give them a call/email to confirm. It will take you a while to wade through the silly first levels of customer service though..."are you sure you are outside in the wind?", "do you have your phone on?", etc. By the way, mine worked perfect on friend's iPhone ... that's the best way to test this out, if you know someone with another phone you can test it on.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Postby chirojoseph » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 am

Thanx Juan... Yes the galaxy 3 with Android ICS is compatible device... And as I wrote, we tried both Meters (we bought one each) on my friends iPhone with same results.

I'm sort of surprised that NOBODY is chiming in here saying "it works perfect on MY phone..."... Aren't you?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:11 pm

chirojoseph wrote:Thanx Juan... Yes the galaxy 3 with Android ICS is compatible device... And as I wrote, we tried both Meters (we bought one each) on my friends iPhone with same results.

I'm sort of surprised that NOBODY is chiming in here saying "it works perfect on MY phone..."... Aren't you?
Joseph, even after my initial disapproval of the product I stumbled upon a local dealer and was able to get one for the advertised price
Ordering it from the states would have cost another $35 in shipping
Anyhow, I noticed the same thing especially in the under 10 knot range, it would consistently read 3 - 5 knots low or 10 knots high
I also noticed that if you point the logo toward the wind it reads high, if you point the logo downwind it reads low.
Not only are my original sentiments about the product still valid, now it is not reliable either....
Very disappointed, and very surprised my PM to Ryan has gone unanswered.

I would not recommend this product at this point in time.

Peter

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:57 pm

chirojoseph wrote:I'm sort of surprised that NOBODY is chiming in here saying "it works perfect on MY phone..."... Aren't you?
I sold mine to my friend with an iPhone. Before selling we tested it to ensure it worked correctly ... and yes, it works perfect on HIS phone.

I still like the product. I always have my phone on me. I find it useful to have a non-powered add-on to tell me wind speed -- no more dead batteries. (I like to know true wind speeds to rig optimally, rather than just guessing....prefer not to be under or over powered if I can avoid it).

They tell me 2nd generation should work on my phone. I may buy one then.

There is also this Vaavud one: Image
Benefit: there is no issue of what direction you are pointing (could put a little mount on your car roof with an extension cord).
Con: more expensive and I figure nearly certain that I will break it. :-?

For now I am back to this low tech "good enough" Dwyer wind meter:

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Postby chirojoseph » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Very interested to hear you had the same results as we did Peter. Thanx for the post., WHO IS RYAN?? is he the guy pushing the meter here on the forum?

I wouldnt consider myself to be a disgruntled customer by any means. The device is unique, seems pretty durable, and the idea is great. Instead of sending 10 whatsapps to my kiting friends to report on conditions I can just use themeter which then posts the gusts, lulls, direccion, and location.

And I can see from the videos and their webpage that WeatherFlow is a professional company that manufactures many devices so Im SURE they would be interested in a CALIBRATION option, using the APP, so that the device can give more accurate readings. Would be interesting to hear from RYAN or anyone else on the WeatherFlow team. I also sent a message directly to their customer service department and have recieved no reply.

I have NOT tried to call them because 1) its international for us 2) I want to avoid "wading through the layers" as the other poster mentioned...of typical newbie triage questions about if im facing the right way and holding the meter right etc etc...especially while paying international rates.

Lets hope these "bumps" get our questions in front of those who can answer.
Good winds!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25 pm

For me, they were pretty quick to respond...I used this email support@weatherflow.com

Try taking a photo with the weatherflow reading and another wind meter you know works, side by side....both in the same photo. That is pretty clear evidence. For me, I also tested it with my daughter's iPod Touch, and took the same photo side by side, showing it working fine.

Support did some research and confirmed my phone doesn't work with it. They offered to refund it or have me send it in and get the new version, coming out sometime soon.

Hope you get it figured out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”