Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ride Engine and hip bone skin pain? Do you wear RE harness so low that it goes around the top of your hip bone?

forum for kitesurfers

omg
Frequent Poster

Ride Engine and hip bone skin pain? Do you wear RE harness so low that it goes around the top of your hip bone?

Postby omg » Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 am

I currently use Brunotti's hard shell waist harness, and it's really nice, but since I am tall it feels natural for me to wear the harness as low as possible. This way the sides of the harness go around the top of my hip bones (on side) but it also crushes this area and after awhile hurts my skin. I mean it's just skin hurt, because the skin gets trapped between the bone and the side of the harness which is quite hard. Otherwise the harness is perfect.

Wondering if the Ride Engine harnesses are better cushioned here, ie. do you wear your harness so that it goes over your hip bones, and if so, will it give any pain?

I would like to test them but no chance :(

Thanks very much!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ride Engine and hip bone skin pain? Do you wear RE harness so low that it goes around the top of your hip bone?

Postby jeromeL » Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 pm

I don't have issues with my 6mm wetsuit underneath ;)
Whenever I do boardshorts session for extended period of time I have pretty bad skin rash/hematoma near hip and I don't even try to keep harness down, I also use a rash guard, I kind of blame rash guard that kind of moves around under harness and probably take the skin off.

Isn't that normal though? I am assuming after a few weeks of boardshort session you harden up.

omg
Frequent Poster

Re: Ride Engine and hip bone skin pain? Do you wear RE harness so low that it goes around the top of your hip bone?

Postby omg » Wed May 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks, it's not rash I am talking about, that would be ok, but this is different and I am not sure if this constant pressure on skin is good in the longer term and at least it hurts quite a bit, hence the question.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 pm

My RE doesn't rub or chafe at all. Hips seem well padded. I always wear a thin shorty, though. :/

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm

RE harness is not high ( tall) it's very compact. I'm rather short 5-7 and short torso and it fits easily between my ribs and hips. No chafing even after 8 days x 4-5 hrs in water in Brazil with only sun shirt and board shorts. My hands were thrashed and was really needing a rest day, but no chafing.

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin

Postby Jonpnw » Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm

If your RE harness is touching your hips I would recommend trying a smaller size. When fitted properly , quite often a size down from what you would wear in a traditional harness it should fit perfectly under your ribs and above your hips. Straps locked down and doubled back and it will provide awesome support for hours.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Postby rynhardt » Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm

We should have a competition for the longest post title.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu May 25, 2017 10:54 pm

It's not just RE, several harnesses do this. My mystic majestic, while being super comfortable on my spine, absolutely shreds the skin on my hips. The fit is perfect aside from that so I wouldn't drop down to an XS for myself. Had the same issue with an older mystic shadow. I just can't ride without a thick rashguard or wetsuit on with these harnesses.

Only solution really is to try another brand... I had really good luck with the dakine renegade for this issue. Will be my next harness whenever I feel like buying another one.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 am

rynhardt wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm
:lol: :lol:

omg
Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri May 26, 2017 7:13 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 am
rynhardt wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm
:lol: :lol:
hiihoo, well, apparently I win, and only the winners will be remembered! Go get you some of that!

In all seriousness, because there is long headline space available I find it useful to be as specific as possible because it's easier for people looking at a thread and wondering if it's worth to click open or not, ie. if they have something to contribute or not, think abt it :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”