Millera74
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone & North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scoprega Bravo BST Rechargeable Kite Pump

Postby Millera74 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Contact WindChaser Sports, they have replacement parts for the pumps: windchasersports@gmail.com

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Laughingman wrote:
SENDIT! wrote:Is it just me, or is the sand filter on the Windchaser version actually just the plastic adaptor and coffee filter off of a Keurig coffee maker?! I happen to own 2 Keurigs and I definitely recognize them. Necessity is the mother of invention...

I've been looking in to these BST's since I have a friend that is always using his to pump up his Turbine. He just connects the leash, sets the pump to go, and goes and walks his lines out. It's ready before his lines are. That's what got my attention. Oh, and not pumping it up by hand, too. :wink:
Thanks for the heads up... I just made my own air filter using a Keurig filter holder and basket.
Too Funny!
Glad I could help! I hope you didn't have to kill your coffee maker to do that, because THAT would be a crime! :lol:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:43 am

SENDIT! wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
SENDIT! wrote:Is it just me, or is the sand filter on the Windchaser version actually just the plastic adaptor and coffee filter off of a Keurig coffee maker?! I happen to own 2 Keurigs and I definitely recognize them. Necessity is the mother of invention...

I've been looking in to these BST's since I have a friend that is always using his to pump up his Turbine. He just connects the leash, sets the pump to go, and goes and walks his lines out. It's ready before his lines are. That's what got my attention. Oh, and not pumping it up by hand, too. :wink:
Thanks for the heads up... I just made my own air filter using a Keurig filter holder and basket.
Too Funny!
Glad I could help! I hope you didn't have to kill your coffee maker to do that, because THAT would be a crime! :lol:
No no, coffee maker is still intact. I picked one up from the departement store.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 am

SENDIT! wrote:
Laughingman wrote:

Too Funny!
My Kurig coffee/sand filter for my electric or manual kite pump.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:35 am

Just an fyi about my battery retrofit.

I replaced the lead acid battery with a n 11.1v 5000mAh LiPo battery.

I had the proper plug soldered to the terminals and I simply velcro the battery to the top of the pump for easy removal. I completely eliminated the compartment where the lead acid battery goes to reduce overall volume.

Along with the battery I purchased a proper LiPo balancing charger, and a digital charge alarm that displays the voltages in each of 3 cells, and I check the battery after every use. Apparently it is critical to prevent the battery from getting completely drained, and it is also important to make sure the battery is fully charged every 2-3 months.

The battery weighs very little, probably removing about 4 lbs from the unit...this is so nice!!! The characteristic of a LiPo battery is that you have an almost constant power curve until the battery gets down into 20% of voltage and then you must recharge. I'd guess I could easily pump 4 kites on one charge, but I have not tested it to the point of failing the battery.

I also "McGyvered" a fitting onto the pump that accepts the standard kite pump hose, so that is now an easy process as well.

I spent about $150 for everything, but I am glad I did it.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:34 pm

robertovillate:

Where did you get the battery and charger

X

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Xtream wrote:robertovillate:

Where did you get the battery and charger

X
I bought the battery and charger at a local hobby shop here in MI. I paid a little more than going on-line...probably could have saved a few bucks but it was worth it to get the advice, plus the guy soldered an adapter plug into the pump for me. He educated me about proper care/maintenance/expectations so he earned my business. I decided on a "better quality" charger that "conditions the battery and balances the cells properly. I think it's critical to have the proper charger with the LiPo batteries. He also sold me a digital voltmeter/alarm so that I know when the battery is approaching critical discharge level.

I started flying foils in early January and have only used the pump a few times, but when I have used it the performance of the LiPo battery has been great. I pretty sure I could inflate at least 3 kites (small + medium + large) before needing a recharge. I have not really tested that thoroughly though. But so far it is working exactly as hoped/needed.

The cool thing about LiPo batteries is that you get almost 100% power output as the battery voltage goes down...until you get to the critical stage and then power drops dramatically. It is my understanding that you want to catch the battery before it gets to that stage to get the best service from the battery. After every use I check it with the voltmeter. Nice!

The weight of the pump and the LiPo battery is not much more than a conventional kite pump. This alone made the investment worthwhile...so I am looking forward to pumping up more kites now!

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:23 pm

robertovillate wrote: I started flying foils in early January and have only used the pump a few times, but when I have used it the performance of the LiPo battery has been great. I pretty sure I could inflate at least 3 kites (small + medium + large) before needing a recharge. I have not really tested that thoroughly though. But so far it is working exactly as hoped/needed.
Just a quick update/fyi re: LiPo battery performance.

I had been using my foils almost the entire winter, so I rarely had a chance to use the electric pump with the retrofitted LiPo battery.

About 3 weeks ago I used a fully charged LiPo battery to inflate my 5m and then left the battery and pump in my van (still cold temps here) until yesterday.

Yesterday I did some "spring cleaning" and decided to test the pump. I was able to completely (and quickly) inflate 4 kites (5m-8m-11m-15m) and there was still lots of battery power remaining. The voltmeter said that the battery was down to 11.4v after 5 kites. So that seems very satisfactory for my purposes anyway.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:23 pm

hmattar wrote:Hey guys i changed my inflator battery for the ones I use in R/C models made from lithium.
Batteies are called LIPO, are very very easy to find and are lightweight and compact.
They are also much cheaper and they charge in 20 minutes.
You also need a specific charger

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html

This charger will take a few hours to charge it, but its damm cheap!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Input.html
Thanks for posting this info. I ordered the battery pack from Hobbyking and was skeptical given it was coming from Hong Kong. The battery arrived 12 days later and it's perfect for the Bravo - I've pumped up 14 kites with it and it's still going strong! Lighter than the OEM model too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”