Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginners do not buy used gear ; Read This first :

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginners do not buy used gear ; Read This first :

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 am

Starsky wrote:Im sure Ill take some heat for this, but lessons are not the only way into this sport. Sure for the complete joe public they are the best option, but I personally think that any good to excellent swimmer with prior sailing experience and a healthy amount of both common sense and self preservation instinct can safely teach themselves how to kiteboard. Previous boardsport and general athleticism is also a bonus, but we have seniors who are self taught around here. We have a healthy kite population, but due to various environmental reasons we have no organised instruction available to people. I, and many around here have and will selectively sell used equipment to people looking to get into the sport.

This is simply the truth, and many many many riders on here sell to total beginners whithout a second thought.

Most of the regulars around here learned before there was much in the line of organised instruction anywhere let alone locally.

I certainly tell people to get lessons as the questions are frequent and often asked in casual fascination, but I'm happy to inform people about going the self taught route safely should they truly show the required interest and possess the required personality traits and experience.

Well obviously people are perfectly allowed to try to kill themselves in whatever fashion they want, however, the spots are not at all suitable for self teaching...simply because of other people.

My advice to get lessons stems from two things...first of all it is much much more efficient and safe for the person...secondly and not at all any less important..it is safer for people around. If it is a wide open beach and no one else around have at it...otherwise take a lesson.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:55 am

The safe route to self taught success around here is via snow.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:23 am

Starsky wrote:The safe route to self taught success around here is via snow.
Makes sense...still need some general advice though since judging spots and getting the right gear together is not a trivial matter.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:32 am

Starsky wrote:The safe route to self taught success around here is
via snow.

Starsky -- wouldn't Ya agree that Most the snow-kiters you know
are Cool enough that it wouldn't take much more than a few Beers
to get them to give you a lesson if Ya asked ?

That's how I learned , but on buggys & Mt boards !
That's how i got Lessons before i went out on my own ; first it was 3M traction kites
in the park at night, then i went on from there with my new buddy's. & they
all drank Cheap Beer !!!

And here it the point of this Thread :
i Didn't just purchase used Crap from Ebay ; i was Told what to get
by the guys who knew all about it First. Yea-- it cost me a few Beers
to find out what "Used' equipment was Good/Bad, & Well worth the effort !!

Bille

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rido » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:44 am

I remember my instructor telling me about newbies who buy 12m kites for the first time and try to launch themselves out in 20+ winds...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:51 am

I did buy a $275 C kite off E-bay. Figured out from a forum how to fix the bladder and rig a 5th line and am self taught, start to finish. Eventually ran into other kites, and have shared many beers, but I cant say there was ever a "lesson" between any of us. Of the first 10-20 kiters at my local, virtually all are self taught, all have a healthy respect for the elements in which we play and all have a solid understanding of safety and risk management. A decade in there have been no major injuries amongst that group. Which is more than I can say for the multitude of beginners in recent years to show up in these parts, many of which have had a lesson. Unfortunately common sense is neither common or all that easy to teach!

Bille, it doesn't read like you did all that much different. Beers for advice is a far cry from professional instruction. Your a great inspiration to many, but I'm not sure you should sit on a soap box and preach safety, its just a bit rich!

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 am

I agree with you in a way starksy, a lot of people would have no problems teaching themselves, though inagree in the long run lessons are the cheaper way to go. The problem however is the one or two (that damn minority again) that come down the beach unfurl their 2 line 16m kite and hot launch it in 30 knots of wind (don't laugh I've seen it done..couldn't get there fast enough to stop them) this then inevitably gets back to the police the local council etc who then have to make a decision on what to do about it, in spots where schools and the council have a good relationship this can normally be resolved but I know in Tarifa where you think we'd be on top of this, this stuff happens and the relationship between the schools and the coucil is non existent or hostile at best (and the entire village economy is based on kiting) the police are just itching to close us all down...so in less well known spots this reaction is all too easy.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:01 am

You can 'progress' into kiteboarding as described over time....

You can get lessons and go from 'zero to hero'...fairly quickly.

You can do a combination of self teaching and lessons and picking things up with mates.

I think the last is most common.

I've caught more than one newbie with a really big kite off eBay on a windy day who thinks the bigger the kite the more wind needed...

It's about being aware as responsible kiters and giving guidance to new kiters about how they can move forward.

Some people struggle with kite skills...so flying lots is required before hitting the water is important.

Some people struggle with board skills... I often recommend people try wake boarding first or at the same time as learning to kite.

Most physically able people can learn the sport if they break it down into components and then put it together in a rational way.

An instructor can help that process...as can rational friends and other kiters.

That said, I used to get terrible adrenalin rushes heading down to the beach when I was learning and I collected a few bumps in the process. And...it has to be remembered that it is never a risk free activity. The best riders can and do get caught out at times.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:44 am

You can learn without lessons - but you have to be extremely humble about it and have above average skills for turning theory into practice, and it helps a lot with a supporting community.

But lots of crazy stuff happens around people with no clue and also around people not learning enough from lessons in the first place, and it just takes a lot longer to get going. Even if you can't get tuition you can go on a vacation to learn what you need.

I see no point at all in promoting learning on you own.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:45 am

I have successfully taught 2 people, my mate and my bro. Been at it a while though.

If you can tap into someone with a number of years under their belt there belt why not?

But I have been asked many many times if I can teach someone and I always refer them to a school I know do a good job. Mainly because I can't be Farqed. Teaching and using your own gear is a nightmare really. Lucky though I had some older kites I could trust and didn't care what happened to them. But it was my bro first and well he's my brother and the other guy is a very close friend and one of the best surfers I know.

What I don't like seeing though is someone getting taught by someone who doesn't know their shit yet. This is a recipe for disaster.

Of course their are individuals who could teach themselves but I'd say they are a minority.

That all being said I learnt in the year 2000 and even then I got lessons, so maybe I'm just talking shit as usual.

Return to “Kitesurfing”