Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Maui, Kanaha a shark attacked a unmanned kiteboard

Forum for kitesurfers
haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Re: Maui, Kanaha a shark attacked a unmanned kiteboard

Postby haiku » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:03 am

Hi. Rido I'm pretty curious: in what area of the spot did you see the shark? Naish beach, the Bone Yard or kite beach? Last year in November during a supping session my brother spotted a big tiger just on the right channel of Kanaha. Hard to know what it's happening. Someone has strange theories related to the Fukushima incident (polluted waters...) and even alignment of planets, other people simply think that local fishermen, due to their activity, attract sharks near the coast. I've been to Maui since 1993 and in all those years I've seen only two sharks, a big tiger off Kuau in 2004 and another smaller last year in the same spot (I was windsurfing...). Not to mention sometimes I swam several hours from the outer reefs with my broken mast....nothing happened.
Cheers
Carlo

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rido » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 pm

haiku wrote:Hi. Rido I'm pretty curious: in what area of the spot did you see the shark? Naish beach, the Bone Yard or kite beach? Last year in November during a supping session my brother spotted a big tiger just on the right channel of Kanaha. Hard to know what it's happening. Someone has strange theories related to the Fukushima incident (polluted waters...) and even alignment of planets, other people simply think that local fishermen, due to their activity, attract sharks near the coast. I've been to Maui since 1993 and in all those years I've seen only two sharks, a big tiger off Kuau in 2004 and another smaller last year in the same spot (I was windsurfing...). Not to mention sometimes I swam several hours from the outer reefs with my broken mast....nothing happened.
Cheers
Carlo
It was closer to the boneyards that is between naish and KB. I have to do downwinders. I spotted it last Thursday.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi. Rido, thanks for the info. All doing well next October I will be there.
Cheers
Carlo

Return to “Kitesurfing”