Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Stupid parents.

Postby Kite2Heaven » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Ha ha Plumet that sounds funny az ... Reminds me of an awesome kite cruise in the outer islands of Papua Nuginea.
Visualise the most beautiful tropical island with a wide sandy beach ... We aproach the shore, 1 kid appears 2more then about 200 :) all wanting to help set up the kites and launch while surounded either side of the lines by giggling kids - some of which had never seen a white person ever !!! You dared not get the launch wrong as its real Island eye for an eye Law there. Might have ended up as dinner lol great people though -

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Westozzy wrote:Crappy teachers...nope.

Crappy parents.

Billie I was being sarcastic. Things couldn't be worse.

I see the result of crappy parents and the school system having their hands tied behind their backs due to polices derived around such a modern approach.

If you don't believe me, come and spend some time in a high school and you will see the teachers are doing their best under less than ideal conditions. If not, shut the f*** up cause you have no idea what you are talking about.
Crappy teachers - yep.
It's like the Ministry of Works and those fat lazy bastards who lean on shovels all day. You can't fire their stupid asses cos the unions will trip balls. (This is the US I'm talking about eh, as that was the graph that was posted.)

Crappy parents - yep.
Studies have shown that:
- kids who perform better in schools are those who verbally interact more at home.
- kids who are properly fed do better in school :o
- kids who come from homes that value education do better in schools.
- etc.
Parents need to cop a lot of the blame BUT the education system can still be fucked up as well, and YES teachers can be crappy.

"Hitting" kids . . . as a kid who was hit, it had minimal effect on me either for good or ill. Having to do shit like "community service" was a far more effective punishment.

Oddly enough, I was a student once so I see no need to shut the f*** up as I have as much experience as anyone else here. Also, I work in schools too - from elementary to high school ;) and I bet my school system is more fucked up than yours nar nar nar :D

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:33 pm

TheJoe wrote: The 25yr old would get the cops called for attempted robbery and charges would be dropped. That is because I would beat his ass while the cops were taking their time getting there. Don't mess with my scoot!
If the cops wont even take a complaint for car vs bike attempted murder, then I don't think they'd be bothered by that. Except the beating - you'll be in deep shit for that.

Sigh . . .

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:07 pm

tautologies wrote: ...

Billie: physical punishment was proven to have adverse effects..in many case severe adverse effects...you know with science and stuff.

Psychology 101 had segments on Pavlov's dog and it's association with Positive reinforcement
along with what happens if learning is done "strictly" with the use of Negative reinforcement
as experimented on with rats & squirrels.

The Positive reinforcement wins out in Most cases ; but a blend of Both,
(leaning towards the +side) seams to work Best. Using "Strictly" negative will yield
fear and anxiety in the subject and you can Not count on their behavior in
the future.

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:35 pm

plummet wrote:Was solo landing my 13m edge yesterday and this swam of kids ran onto beach. maybe 6 or 8 of them ranging from 4-8 yrs.

The mother is just standing there watching doing nothing.
WTF?
6 or 8 kids between 4-8 yrs old !!!

Maybe she was not their mother at all...
...unless 4 or 5 were her kids and 2 or 3 of them were adopted......that is quite a big young family !!!

Maybe "the mother" of only "one" kid and babysitting / looking after all the others excited kids

Maybe her kid is the only one that did not go wild over the colorful fun looking toy like kite!

There was no "parents" on the beach...just one female adult...and one male adult kiter

If the majority of those kids were "not hers" why in the world would those kids listen to her ?

Did the mother said to Plummet sorry those are "all my kids"...
....here are all their birth certificates... :lol:
...i will make sure to mention this to my husband / their father tonight
We are great parents and there will be consequences at the Brady bunch home tonight

:happybirthday: to all the disciplined kids

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:56 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
plummet wrote:Was solo landing my 13m edge yesterday and this swam of kids ran onto beach. maybe 6 or 8 of them ranging from 4-8 yrs.

WTF?

...unless 4 or 5 were her kids and 2 or 3 of them were adopted......that is quite a big young family !!!

Maybe "the mother" of only "one" kid and babysitting / looking after all the others excited kids

Maybe her kid is the only one that did not go wild over the colorful fun looking toy like kite!

There was no "parents" on the beach...just one female adult...and one male adult kiter

If the majority of those kids were "not hers" why in the world would those kids listen to her ?

We are great parents and there will be consequences at the Brady bunch home tonight

Your right it is unlikely that all these kids belonged to this one woman. None the less to stand and watch and say nothing is not acceptable. It was her responsibility to control the group.

Lets get something straight. The kids were not at fault. They knew no better and I cannot expect them to understand the dangers involved with kites.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:46 pm

plummet wrote: Your right it is unlikely that all these kids belonged to this one woman. None the less to stand and watch and say nothing is not acceptable. It was her responsibility to control the group.
Was just going after the title of the thread and not you fellow kiter :cheers:

" Irresponsible adult in charge" for a title sounds more accurate

Now let's all land our kites safely and drink responsibly :beer:

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:02 pm

plummet wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:

WTF?

Your right it is unlikely that all these kids belonged to this one woman. None the less to stand and watch and say nothing is not acceptable. It was her responsibility to control the group.

Lets get something straight. The kids were not at fault. They knew no better and I cannot expect them to understand the dangers involved with kites.
Do you expect adults to understand the dangers? Because they really don't. The behavior of civilians on the beach can not be predicted. Kites appear to be innocent play toys and the downwind "danger" zone is not a concept to the public at large or even inexperienced kiters.

william_rx7
Medium Poster

Postby william_rx7 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Involving kids (both good and bad kids) in our sport is a crucial part of being a positive part of the community.

Guys in this situation you're viewed as a leader. Use your leadership and create a powerful "teachable" moment.

Kids love to have a 'job' to do, and love to be part of the action. That's why they were trying to help land your kite. Parents love to see their kids involved in learning something new by a 'responsible' adult.

Here's an alternate plan
1) Ask the parent if the kids would like to help out.
2) Explain their role and yours and how to be "safe". You're landing the kite, but you need them after it's on the ground. Line them as "helpers" safely behind you (draw a line in the sand) as "look-outs" and "board caddies".
3) Land your kite, then call them to run over after you make it to the kite and have it secured. Make it a race. Have them help "flip the kite" (do an extra flip to "check-out" everything) and weigh the kite down with sand (most kids are natural diggers).
4) Involve them in "flipping the kite" and the "deflate", young kids get a laugh out of the loud deflate blast. Call it a kite "fart" and you'll crack-up any kid between 5 and 10 years old

It's easy to "blame" others, and you're right the kids should be better behaved. However it's up to leaders to help show kids the right things to do, and not just tell them to "get of the way".

Now to the OP, I've done this successfully with 2 or 3 kids at a time. 8 sounds like a pretty wild bunch, but this has worked well for me a couple times with 2 or 3 kids at a time. 8 is likely too many, you might thin out the helpers by asking "who wants to help? I need 3 helpers."

Look this won't work every time, but it can create a way more positive experience for everyone involved.

Love to see some more positive suggestions and other ideas.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:47 pm

william_rx7 wrote:Involving kids (both good and bad kids) in our sport is a crucial part of being a positive part of the community.

Guys in this situation you're viewed as a leader. Use your leadership and create a powerful "teachable" moment.

Kids love to have a 'job' to do, and love to be part of the action. That's why they were trying to help land your kite. Parents love to see their kids involved in learning something new by a 'responsible' adult.

Here's an alternate plan
1) Ask the parent if the kids would like to help out.
2) Explain their role and yours and how to be "safe". You're landing the kite, but you need them after it's on the ground. Line them as "helpers" safely behind you (draw a line in the sand) as "look-outs" and "board caddies".
3) Land your kite, then call them to run over after you make it to the kite and have it secured. Make it a race. Have them help "flip the kite" (do an extra flip to "check-out" everything) and weigh the kite down with sand (most kids are natural diggers).
4) Involve them in "flipping the kite" and the "deflate", young kids get a laugh out of the loud deflate blast. Call it a kite "fart" and you'll crack-up any kid between 5 and 10 years old

It's easy to "blame" others, and you're right the kids should be better behaved. However it's up to leaders to help show kids the right things to do, and not just tell them to "get of the way".

Now to the OP, I've done this successfully with 2 or 3 kids at a time. 8 sounds like a pretty wild bunch, but this has worked well for me a couple times with 2 or 3 kids at a time. 8 is likely too many, you might thin out the helpers by asking "who wants to help? I need 3 helpers."

Look this won't work every time, but it can create a way more positive experience for everyone involved.

Love to see some more positive suggestions and other ideas.
Great idea William and the best reply yet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”