Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Stupid parents.

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Jesus... sounds like I opened Pandora's box.....

Now the other issue I see is all with all the "safety" that goes on these days the stupid people are not removing themselves from the gene pool at they once did.. That in turn allows them to breed and fill the world even stupider people!..... In essence we a de-evolving.

Right enough ranting.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Kamikuza wrote:To the OP . . . could be worse.

There's nothing as infuriating as saying to a parent "Get your brat of my gear!" and the parent saying "My darling isn't touching your gear" when the little shit is sitting right on top of it.

And . . . imagine if it's your lovely new motorbike . . .

Or . . . the child is 25 years old . . .
The 25yr old would get the cops called for attempted robbery and charges would be dropped. That is because I would beat his ass while the cops were taking their time getting there. Don't mess with my scoot!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:38 pm

Im all for the rants and the parent bashing, but to even suggest tongue in cheek that its acceptable to hit someone else's child or loop your kite in any manner dangerous to kids is something that I would kick our fucking teeth in for... Im pretty mild mannered, I'll poke fun at people on here, but it takes a special kind of cluelessness to get me to threaten violence. Any and all comments in poor taste on threads like this will forever reflect appallingly on our community even when taken in perfect context. Smarten the f*** up.

Parents..... sure they can be lambasted, but a child! To even entertain the thought that a toddler is remotely to blame for being attracted to your kite is ridiculous. For you to think they understand what you mean when you say its dangerous is laughable. To get pissed when they throw sand on it is petty. Your primary concern should be their safety.

I have many rants for parents and dog owners.... In what circumstance is it even remotely alright to let your dog piss or romp on ANYTHING that is not yours? I've watched an owner stand and watch their dog lift a leg on a kite before..... totally astounding and it certainly prompted a response on my part despite not knowing who the kite belonged to.

OK, rant over, but seriously. There are a couple comments on here that are way way way offside.

Edit: Dyyylan and Ayahuasca, Im pretty sure your both on the real young side and essentially still children yourselves, but your comments hit a nerve that you should never mess with. It's kind of a universal law of the jungle, you mess with wee ones and you get messed with. Even the prison population lives by that one. Sadly your comments seem to fulfill the very sad prophecy most in this thread are talking about.

Its not kids, or video games, or schools, its parenting. Plain and simple. Parenting may be getting trickier, but its still a simple fact that we are responsible for raising our kids into good people.
Last edited by Starsky on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:38 pm

while i don't agree with physical forms of discipline, i think it might be worth considering that children require a lot of attention in some form and that it is possible their mother was overwhelmed with handling 6-8 kids.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Stats can w made to say anything W Oz. not bitin

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Modern western psychology would not promote parents befriending kids but setting limits. At the same time it discourages physical punishment because violence may be taught and physical punishment can be harmful as said above.

In my experience Time Outs work to a point, but there are times a spanking is unfortunately needed, for example when the child is refusing to go into timeout and laughing about what they did wrong. I like to think the day has passed where my youngest (6) will never get another spanking as has happened for my older two (10 and 12). And I like to think that my kids have very high self esteem, discipline, and are considerate and civilized and because of those traits will grow into leaders.

But the topic is stupid parents and no doubt this parent is not teaching her children the right thing or even looking out for their basic safety. Not long ago I witnessed a father-son combo carving their name in a tree at a botanical garden. At another incident at a skeet shoot a few dads were letting their 8-10 year olds climb around in the back of a truck playing with the shotguns. I had to walk over and scold the kid in front of his dad because the kid was holding a gun looking down the wrong end of the barrel. I would be impressed if the parents are even reading, much less reading modern psychology of child rearing.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Just sad when people don't respect the belongings of others, like this mothers.
She is fully responsible if the kids in her supervision destroy or damage it.

Great how calm you stayed, well done!

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:08 pm

+1 for Jake and Toby.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Sounds like the old folks home....but true, they will let anyone have a kid!

That graph was true, but bullshit...US incarceration rate, higher than Russia under Stalin BTW, is due to the mandatory minimum sentencing. Long terms for small, nonviolent crimes. The law was just revoked because it was unsustainable, and didn't work...

Kids 'these days' have always had less respect....that is just part of getting old!

Don't take shit from any kid, or dog. Step up and step in if the parents won't. A firm but polite word is the best you can do.
Last edited by The Captain on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Maybe worth mentioning poor behaviour by kiters? Or, is that a different thread...

Return to “Kitesurfing”