Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mutiny swivel

Forum for kitesurfers
phm
Rare Poster
Gear: kites: Liquid Force Envy 9m (2012), Naish Boxer 12m (2008).
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mutiny swivel

Postby phm » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 am

Has anyone successfully used a Mutiny swivel on a 4-line kite with single front-line flag?
I have a 2012 LF Envy and cannot figure out a way to safely modify it with the Mutiny swivel I just got. It seems to suit a 5th line setup only.
Or do I simply need to drop big bucks on the liquid force retro kit?
I need some swivel action!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Mutiny swivel

Postby edt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:50 am

phm wrote:Has anyone successfully used a Mutiny swivel on a 4-line kite with single front-line flag?
I have a 2012 LF Envy and cannot figure out a way to safely modify it with the Mutiny swivel I just got. It seems to suit a 5th line setup only.
Or do I simply need to drop big bucks on the liquid force retro kit?
I need some swivel action!
the swivel for center line flag has to feed thru the center u can use a stopper ball, I can't remember if the mutiny swivel works that way, I guess I can draw a picture.

stopper ball

If there is no hole in the center you can't use the mutiny . . . maybe you can drill some holes tho it depends how the swivel is made. If the actual ball bearings are solid thru the entire piece you can't drill it but if the bearings are in a ring and there's a hole in there or you can drill one you can use it.

phm
Rare Poster
Gear: kites: Liquid Force Envy 9m (2012), Naish Boxer 12m (2008).
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby phm » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:04 am

Thanks edt, and nice pic.
Yes there is a (wide) hole through the center, for the safety line to pull through. Seems like the knot at the top of my elasticized safety line needs to be big enough to not go through the stopper but small enough to pull easily back through the swivel's center hole.
Also, the swivel is designed so that the kite lines attach to (3 inch) leader lines. Therefore there is no solid ring for the safely line to pull through and the stopper to sit against. I suppose I will put a metal ring on the top of the leader so that the line can run free.
I'll post a pic if/when I sort this out.
Cheers!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 am

phm wrote:Thanks edt, and nice pic.
Yes there is a (wide) hole through the center, for the safety line to pull through. Seems like the knot at the top of my elasticized safety line needs to be big enough to not go through the stopper but small enough to pull easily back through the swivel's center hole.
Also, the swivel is designed so that the kite lines attach to (3 inch) leader lines. Therefore there is no solid ring for the safely line to pull through and the stopper to sit against. I suppose I will put a metal ring on the top of the leader so that the line can run free.
I'll post a pic if/when I sort this out.
Cheers!
u got it. But dont use a knot. You need to lark's head. The size of the lark's head on the elasticized line will be bigger than the lark's head of the kite line that's why it won't slip thru. The same principle is used on the liquid force safety except instead of a stopper ball, it is a block of plastic. If you use a knot anywhere in the safety there is a very good chance it will snag on the bar when it pulls thru trust me on this one. If you can splice you probably want to make a custom length elasticized line for your setup, tho I usually don't add elastic to mine. If you can't splice maybe two lengths of elasticized safety lines lark's headed together will be long enough. Depends how long those leaders are on top of the swivel.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 am

You can see here that I tried to modify one unsuccessfully.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2377744&hilit=mutiny&start=10

With hindsight, I think the best way would be to drill a hole at an angle through the body to take a front line down into the existing hole and then through the inside wall of the plastic body at about 60 degrees and then through the centre of the swivel.

But as I said, I would use a Naish swivel rather than mod a Mutiny swivel.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 am

There is some info on the Slingshot bungee and splicing lines in this post about converting a bar to single front line flagging.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380826&p=797312&hi ... ad#p797312

Return to “Kitesurfing”