Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A doctor with kiting experience on this forum ?

Forum for kitesurfers
stijn depauw
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A doctor with kiting experience on this forum ?

Postby stijn depauw » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 am

Maybe not the right forum to post my problem. Have been kiting for over 10 years, but sadly kiting is causing serious sleeping problems to me. Have tried sleeping clinic and so on, but all the medics say that surfing should even improve my sleeping.
I'm on the search for answers, maybe any doctors on this forum that understand the complexity of what kiting does to your body, rather than the standard docs that keep telling me the same.
Thanks for reaction.
Last edited by stijn depauw on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Re: A doctor with kiting experience on this forum ?

Postby Kite2Heaven » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:20 am

Try the old fashion Hot bath with Epsom salts :)
Im no Dr but had some experience younger playing drs n nurses ahem

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 am

I am no doctor either.... but I am intrigued.
why cant you sleep?
pain from injury?
adrenaline from a sick session?
or simply so addicted you can't stop thinking about kiting?.... spending to much time on forums?

how do you know it is kiting that causes this sleeplessness.

stijn depauw
Rare Poster

Postby stijn depauw » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:54 am

Don't know the trigger, one thing's for sure, when I spend too much time on sports (longer than 2 hours) I really do not sleep at night. I have the same problem on my bike, when longer than 3 hours biking, sleeping at night is simply impossible, I stay awake till dawn. Mostly, after a couple of really bad nights (approx 1 week), my sleep gets back to a normal scheme. Yesterday I went kiting 2 to 3 hours, result => no sleep at all last night ! I do feel very tired indeed after sports, but simply cannot go to sleeping modus. I don't spend time on forums, nor injured, been to a lot of docs, I do stay very calm, also at night, so it's really a physical thing. Been on the search for a long time...
plummet wrote:I am no doctor either.... but I am intrigued.
why cant you sleep?
pain from injury?
adrenaline from a sick session?
or simply so addicted you can't stop thinking about kiting?.... spending to much time on forums?

how do you know it is kiting that causes this sleeplessness.

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush

Postby yuko » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Same for me, have very hard time falling asleep but usually after a very good session, some sort of adrenaline thing I guess.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Damn, thats a bummer :roll:

I sleep like a baby - and almost immediately and longer, if I've been out many hours.

Of course, I have to "do something" totally different, or relaxing, for a couple of hours if coming home late in the evening and still on an adrenaline kick, high after an awesome session that has not settled fully yet.

But when I hit the sack later, I sleep even tighter than normally.

-------------------

Very interesting what the reason/cause could be when it does not work like that, as it seems you are not the only one having trouble sleeping, so you are right, it COULD be something that has been diagnosed before and maybe quite common ?

8) Peter

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Chase your old lady around the bedroom for awhile.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:20 pm

what do you eat before bed? Have you considered this may be a diet-related issue? I have trouble sleeping at night when I kite/exercise a lot for 2 reasons- one is excessive pain/soreness that sets in, the other is my rampant metabolism when I eat things that are carbohydrate rich. Try eating a meal with a lower glycemic index, and many hours before bedtime.

Is it that you have frequent awakenings or that you cannot get asleep?

Caffeine/alcohol/smoking(all kinds) use?

MikeYQM
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Darkside Kites - Dealer for Slingshot, Cabrinha, NP Surf & JP Australia

Postby MikeYQM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Im guessing that its a psycholgical/adrenaline based phenomenon. I work in a critical incident heavy environment where adrenaline spikes can wreak havoc on sleep and other issues. Im guessing the issue is twofold: poor psychological prossessing of the days events and a surplus of adrenaline.

My suggestion is to attack them seperately. For the memory processing side, to help alleviate running thoughts, allow yourself to "debrief" on the day by talking to someone. Whether its with the guys at the beach, the wife, anyone - talk in detail about your day kiting. The running thoughts are your brains way of trying to process the days events and put them to rest. Meditation, if all else fails, a while before bed where you allow your thoughts to flow freely can work.

Secondly, to address the adrenaline rush, you need a mild activity. Once your body releases adrenaline, its there until you burn it off; that can be days even. Mild activity (walking, cleaning etc) where you expel energy WITHOUT producing more adrenaline will help with this. Working off the adrenaline first can help make it easier to clear your mind later.

Of course, a proper diet can help wonders. Even psychological processes have a physiological element so keeping your body running prime will help.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Very strong beer after your session.

Problem sorted.

Return to “Kitesurfing”