Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: T-rex and Space Pickles, oh my!

Postby bigwave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:37 pm

I've had several great sessions on the 5'4 T-Rex. I'm using it in the quad fin set up. It rides similar to a 5'8. Rockets upwind and has great speed. Everyone who has ride on it comes away impressed.
I would like to try the firewire boards,maybe they will be at SE.

:thumb:

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ulx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:52 pm

as always, better try before you buy. i tried 5.4 and 5.2 and found i much preferred my beloved celeritas. i only had a go in pretty light winds and almost no waves.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:07 pm

as always, better try before you buy. i tried 5.4 and 5.2 and found i much preferred my beloved celeritas. i only had a go in pretty light winds and almost no waves.
I also ride a Celeritas and love it. I've never tried a T-Rex and am not particularly interested in it. But I would be very interested to hear why you like your Celeritas more than the T-Rex.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:43 am

cleepa wrote:
I also ride a Celeritas and love it. I've never tried a T-Rex and am not particularly interested in it. But I would be very interested to hear why you like your Celeritas more than the T-Rex.
It might have something to do with light wind and no waves...lol Seriously though, I ride both, the Celeritas and a T-Rex. Both are very good in my opinion. I like the fin system on the T Rex where you can change the feel of the board using the fins. I ride the 5'11 WVX Celeritas,which rides much bigger than the 5'4 T Rex. Like ulx said, try to ride one if possible to see if its what you would like.

:thumb:

ulx
Frequent Poster
Firewire Vader

Postby ulx » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:24 pm

cleepa wrote:
I tried the 5.4 as a quad. Found it hard to jump on flat water and it felt quite big in the air. It is very fast but I found it quite hard to go upwind, which is probably a lack of ability on my side as everyone seems to think it shoots upwind. I am not used to quad fins. Maybe a bit more time with the board or a switch to thruster would have solved that.
Then I tried the 5.2 as a thruster. Jumping off flat water was super easy and in the air it felt perfect. But at landings it was pretty small. And when I tried to jibe into some weak waves it stopped planing almost instantly when the kite stopped pulling. The celeritas just keeps going in those conditions.
When I went back to the celeritas, everything felt just right. In the last days I spent a lot of time on my tyrant and that was awsome, too.
Good to have a choice. For me, the more traditional slingshot shapes fit better for what I am doing at the moment :D

ulx
Frequent Poster
Firewire Vader

Postby ulx » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:59 pm

still stoked about the veeery nice session i just had with a 5.4 t-rex as a thruster. as in my tests before wind just enough to get going with my 10m rally and hardly any waves.what a different board with thruster configuration. i used a standard thruster fin set, not the one delivered with the board where the rear fin is tiny. have not tried that so don't know if that makes a difference.

i am very much into strapless aerial tricks. and i found these quite hard with this board as a quad. mostly, i couldn't really jump off of flat water with it. today, as a thruster, very different. everything felt light and easy. jumping was so easy. it even didn't feel big in the air anymore. to the contrary, it was so easy to get into the air and grab it for a backroll. and landing is very nice with the wide and stable front. when you do a transition and keep sliding in the old direction after landing it is very easy to do so with this board. and the tail kick helps quite a bit at that. too.

as i said, still no real waves or strong wind with it but can't wait to try in those conditions.

so far, great board for aerial stuff as a thruster.

Return to “Kitesurfing”