Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fast turning but also steady one hand turning?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Fast turning but also steady one hand turning?

Postby Dave K » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Background: Been kiting since 2001 but this 55 yr old bod sticks with hooked-in dangle jumping to keep the joints happy. Enjoy my 2011 Switchblades (12,9) and full time living on the OBX, but really miss having a fun floaty jumper for those 10-15 knt days. I realize it's not needed here, but the older I get the more appealing that sounds compared to my 9m in 28 knots. Had a Rhino2 18 before moving here.

Originally thinking about a Zephyr but read the Blade Fat Lady thread (and checked the vids for both) and think it would work well too. I'll reduce my question to a specific example. So I do more basic stuff like a one handed 2 1/2 rotation back spin with a slo mo kite back loop on my 12M. Keep my bar hand close to center and just let er loop around slow and steady.

http://youtu.be/lhvhriTEjSw

Any reason this wouldn't work just as easy with a Fat Lady (or Zephyr, or any of the big boys for that matter) on a lighter day? Just wondering if "fast turning" implies that they can get away from you easily while dangling around with one hand near bar center (ie, going for a slower turn rate)? I wouldn't think so with such a big beast but who knows. Maybe this is really a generic question for any size kite? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Dave K on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

sharky79
Medium Poster
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast turning but also steady one hand turning?

Postby sharky79 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm

The FatLady won't get away from you. Keep in mind it is a 17m beast.
Love the FatLady, It's a fun kite.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Ocean Rode Flite 17. It's a very floaty jumper, even compared to my XB16. Turns as fast as you want it to.

I've still not perfected that trick though I can do single rotation hand drags . . . most of the time :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Well I use the 2013 zephyr and do those mind of moves you are talking about. Very steady in the air for those activities. Floaty glide due to the edge DNA, works well here. I can do just about everything I do on a smaller kite on the zephyr and yet in lighter winds, hence less punishment if I stuff up. Its got just enough aspect to reward a good rider for upwind purpose, and yet sits deep enough for consistent static grunt, its a divine wing and my favourite.

I'd say the fat lady would turn faster due to its lower aspect.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Since you are in OBX, you should demo an Infinity V2 or V3. I think it will be worth looking at for what you want.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Dave,

I'm a Blade dealer so take it for what it's worth, but the Fat lady is getting great feedback from a lot of riders in my area. I would not be concerned at all though on fast turning meaning you can't control it with one hand. It's fast turning for a 17m, which is completely different from fast turning for small kites. It uses a short bar also which gives a little less leverage. It has a lighter bar pressure for a big kite, so all in all, it's a great package.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 pm

I know I can demo the Infinity and Zephyr here. Any Fat Ladies to demo on the island?
toyletbowl wrote: I would not be concerned at all though on fast turning meaning you can't control it with one hand. It's fast turning for a 17m, which is completely different from fast turning for small kites.
Guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds, a steady "boring" turner if I'm going with one hand close to center, and a faster turner if I'm working the bar harder with both hands. I've been on fast turning ultralight bar pressure 12M kites where I'm just not good enough to make the one hand jumping-looping thing work, hence the reason for my steady-eddy Switchblades. Maybe I'm just overthinking this for a big light wind kite......(I know, just ride em and see)

thanks for the responses!

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I switched from Cabrinha 16 M Switchblade 2012 to Ozone 17 M Edge 2013. And have flown the fat lady half a dozen times. The Ozone beats them both with wide margins.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 pm

For glide and jumping in light wind I love my speed 3. Sure its slow as all hell. But man does it pack a glorious glide. It doesn't meet your spec of fast turning.... but It will outglide pretty my any similar sized lei.

I'm calling my 15 speed to be around the same power as a 17 zephur. But it has a lot more glide than the zep. I'd call that you can probably get higher on a zep but stay in the air longer with a speed.

Note: If you have never used foils before the speed is a big learning curve. it definitely does not fly like an lei.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:58 pm

[quote="Dave K"]I know I can demo the Infinity and Zephyr here. Any Fat Ladies to demo on the island?

If you get ahold of all three of those kites, that will be a great comparison to hear about. I don't know anything about foils, but when looking at bigger kites and lighter winds, might be worth a try as well.

The juvenile inside my head got a chuckle out of the question "Any Fat Ladies to demo on the island?" Surely there are. :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”