FICO90
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GoPro mounts

Postby FICO90 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Hey,
So where abouts on a twintwip board would it be best to place a surf mount to get the best footage? Also, the camrig line mount - is there a particular place on the lines where this should be set and can it be used with a 5 line kite?

You can probably tell that I'm new to this whole game. Managed to stay upwind for the first time this morning. Best day ever :) :)

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Re: GoPro mounts

Postby Puetz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:26 pm

FICO90 wrote:Hey,
So where abouts on a twintwip board would it be best to place a surf mount to get the best footage? Also, the camrig line mount - is there a particular place on the lines where this should be set and can it be used with a 5 line kite?

You can probably tell that I'm new to this whole game. Managed to stay upwind for the first time this morning. Best day ever :) :)
... I remember going upwind for the first time,,,, man you feel so much like a legend hey!

To the question at hand, put it at one end of the board near the toe side fin and point it toward where you would be leaning so that way you are in the middle of the footage.

Make sure you use the little safety line attachment, or even better put a loop of string or old line that is attached to the fin screw, more secure than the little glued on loop thing. Watch out nose diving the board as the pressure of the water can easily break the mounts, I've broken 3 housings til I made a mount that I could put string over the camera to hold it down to stop it from tilting forward (which is another annoying thing).

The line mount has to go on the V of the front lines so if its like the North 5 line bar, its going to be high up and not much you can do about it. Just make sure the 5th safety line can't get tangled.

Good luck,

Robbie :D

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Puetz wrote: The line mount has to go on the V of the front lines so if its like the North 5 line bar, its going to be high up and not much you can do about it. Just make sure the 5th safety line can't get tangled.

It doesn't really have to, I put mine past the V quite a bit on my Envy, to get it a little farther away. I put it above where the lines cross when you spin the bar so that it doesn't tangle. It pinches the center lines together slightly but it doesn't make a difference in performance.

Putting it below the v is a bad idea though, the camera will bounce around quite a bit and the footage is unusable.

deanrobi
Rare Poster

Postby deanrobi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Here is a different POV, slightly off topic but ive given up with the board mounts nowadays
http://vimeo.com/71227221

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 am

deanrobi wrote:Here is a different POV, slightly off topic but ive given up with the board mounts nowadays
http://vimeo.com/71227221

Mean! I like that view.. Can you tell me how you set this up, or what is need to make one.

Cheers

deanrobi
Rare Poster

Postby deanrobi » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Check out www.backymount.com or talk to Deane at Auckland Kitesurf as he has my mount at the moment

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Check out Wizmount.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Also when you place the camera on the v in the lines I also attach with a thin Velcro strap around the ring(cabrina lines). Be VERY CAREFULL on launch as if lines get caught up then this can effect flying the kite properly.

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:02 am

deanrobi wrote:Check out www.backymount.com or talk to Deane at Auckland Kitesurf as he has my mount at the moment
True that I saw on his FB some dude had one on on his trip to the islands... Must have been your one?
Ill hit deaneo up. Does it screw into the harness?

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:56 pm

uncle sammy wrote:Check out Wizmount.
Have tried the Backy mount and recently got my hands on the Wizmount I have to say the Wizmount is way more versatile and can get much better angles and views, also not having to have one specific harness the attach it to is a good thing. Here is just a short video of me beating myself up with a new Lift Hydrofoil. And yes I'm not one of those riders who can just grab something new and figure it out, I have to beat myself up for a bit to figure things out, so the video was just me showing some bumps and bruises of trying to learn. I may be making some instructional videos on the Hydrofoil, as the ones I have seen are ok, but don't give you the right tips for starting out. Man, went a little off topic, anyway check out the Wizmount.

http://youtu.be/3bFVTVApA9o

Return to “Kitesurfing”