All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: kite-fix glue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

stephk wrote:
Whatever glue you put on your kite will scrap it or cost twice as much to repair professionally after your trip. Keep the goop for your shoes ;-)

You are probably right and note that I was just helping comparing the Goop with the Aquaseal and the Gluefix but I never use them on my kites. I love the Goop but for many other non-kite related repair. If I have to do a repair on a kite I prefer to use Kiteaid as I feel it does a better job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:52 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have used marine goop on kites and it seems to be fine ... it does take longer to cure than kite- fix, a hair drier solves that problem.

Séb wrote:
stephk wrote:
Whatever glue you put on your kite will scrap it or cost twice as much to repair professionally after your trip. Keep the goop for your shoes ;-)

You are probably right and note that I was just helping comparing the Goop with the Aquaseal and the Gluefix but I never use them on my kites. I love the Goop but for many other non-kite related repair. If I have to do a repair on a kite I prefer to use Kiteaid as I feel it does a better job.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 am 
Rare Poster

I tried kite-fix on a strut repair and it failed miserably. I ended up pulling the strut off the kite, un-stitching about 3/4 of the strut and then sewing around the the damaged section and the part of the cloth that had to be cut out because of the glue mess. The resulting fix has seemed to hold up fine. Hind sight, I should have just gone that route to begin with.

A walking foot and a triple zig-zag stitch with some sail tape works wonders on kites.

edit: oh yeah...and it's way easier to pull stitches then to pull glue off a kite.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2