Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Upwind technique on Mako

forum for kitesurfers


Rido
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:26 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Rido » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:33 am

So I had to leave my mako 150 in Maui because I cant get through security without paying the 150 dollar fee.

Screw that. I ordered a king. So On the makos I was saw somewhere about the stance is difference than a normal TT? Even weight on both feet? I cant find the original thread.
Can someone enlighten me on how the stance of a mako will differ from other TTs?

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:32 am

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - how have you ridden a 150 and not know how to go upwind?

Rido
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:26 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Rido » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:40 am

Kamikuza wrote:Short answer - yes.

Long answer - how have you ridden a 150 and not know how to go upwind?

I was reaching a point of my tacks getting close and closer together, it then started getting dark. I also had to go further downwind because another beginner had problems water starting. So I didnt want to hit the boneyard so I went further down wind to action beach.


I had to leave that board in Maui due to the fee.

I keep changing my stance because of advice people have been giving me in regards to my stance but in my last run with the tacks getting closer I was evening the distribution of weight on the 150. I didnt know if there was anything else to it.


I only have about 10 hours of solo riding experience.

I spent about 2 messing around with a lower powered kite, losing my board, and realizing booties are not for me.

User avatar
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby NYKiter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:51 am

Keep going with it...you wont regret it...concave grips hard and gets you upwind...no problem...
I held down my 16m in a 35knot squall with it...thing bites HARD...clamped that bitch down easy....
Around here we call it the cheater board, once the newbs get on it they experience an exponential improvement immediately.

The new ones dont have the foot pads...just the straps. I would order up a set of the big fatty pads...as well as a handle. Legendary board....but they dont give you the handle now...wtf...

I got two boards - a mako king and a 6'-2" poly surfboard....its all a kiter needs!
rock on Garth :mosh:

Rido
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:26 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Rido » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:16 am

NYKiter wrote:Keep going with it...you wont regret it...concave grips hard and gets you upwind...no problem...
I held down my 16m in a 35knot squall with it...thing bites HARD...clamped that bitch down easy....
Around here we call it the cheater board, once the newbs get on it they experience an exponential improvement immediately.

The new ones dont have the foot pads...just the straps. I would order up a set of the big fatty pads...as well as a handle. Legendary board....but they dont give you the handle now...wtf...

I got two boards - a mako king and a 6'-2" poly surfboard....its all a kiter needs!
rock on Garth :mosh:


Well I guess I Will keep even pressure on both feet on attempting to go upwind then.


party on wayne.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby knotwindy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 am

yea, even weight on both feet to go straight
weight on the back foot to turn upwind then weight slightly more on front foot to lock it in at the upwind angle you want, assuming you can keep the kite low in the window and not sheet out except when really necessary. you have to use the whole edge of the board to track upwind.
have fun and keep at it, you'll get it faster than you think

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 am

Like a snowboard man, equal pressure to start with then as above, slightly more front foot pressure. Can stand more upright than on a normal TT. About to hit some crazy swell and wind now with it.

Rido
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:26 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Rido » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:42 am

knotwindy wrote:yea, even weight on both feet to go straight
weight on the back foot to turn upwind then weight slightly more on front foot to lock it in at the upwind angle you want, assuming you can keep the kite low in the window and not sheet out except when really necessary. you have to use the whole edge of the board to track upwind.
have fun and keep at it, you'll get it faster than you think


Westozzy wrote:Like a snowboard man, equal pressure to start with then as above, slightly more front foot pressure. Can stand more upright than on a normal TT. About to hit some crazy swell and wind now with it.

Lol I have only had 1 snowboarding lesson. Other than that I have had 0 board experience prior to kiteboarding. Not even skateboarding.

Thanks. I'll give it a try

User avatar
The Captain
Frequent Poster
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: POOR SATELLITE RECEPTION

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:36 pm

If you keep your weigh fairly even, you can kind of twist the board to steer upwind. Looking where you want to go makes it automatic. Just remember, if you can't go upwind on a Mako, you are underpowered, period.

Rido
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:26 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Rido » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:04 am

The Captain wrote:Just remember, if you can't go upwind on a Mako, you are underpowered, period.

Well I am a beginner and still learning alot. I was just remember seeing something unique about the mako stance.

Also heard you dont get as fatigued while riding it.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Peert, sindarlotodo and 7 guests