Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Upwind technique on Mako

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Laughingman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:18 am

For the first few years I would say it was a 60/40 split back/ front. Now I am hammering my back foot more like 70/30 when I really want to track up wind quick in well powered conditions. If you are fatigued you can flatten out and depower a bit and track up wind just as we'll but much less fun.....many ways to skin a cat. The mako is a great board but as I start to learn new things I find myself riding a traditional twin tip unless I am in super choppy or nice wavey conditions.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Upwind technique on Mako

Postby Westozzy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 am

Agreed Laughingman. I run a Laluz 132 for flat water stuff and the 150 serves as my choppy and wave days board. That's what it is best at and it does it very well. Carving in waves especially it is far superior to any TT I've ridden. But it lacks flex and square tips for serious TT stuff. You can still do mos things but not as easy.

Thing is I can ride the Mako all day it is that comfortable and yes if you are fatigued just stand more upright, flatten out the board and use the kite effectively to track upwind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”