dwhite468
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Westshore Napier
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Footstrap size and position

Postby dwhite468 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 am

I know there is already a thread on-going about foot strap position but my question is less about position more about the size setting of the strap (i.e. how open it is)

I have a lot of trouble getting my feet out of my straps, my feet are so well locked in that it takes a lot of wriggling and moving (by which time I have lost all my speed or crashed) to get them out?

I am in the process of learning to jib and tack but quite often I either make the turn and crash getting my feet back in, or I crash before I even get chance to make the turn.

I’m wondering if I have my straps open too much and thus my feet are sitting too far under the strap?

Anyone got any tips?

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Re: Footstrap size and position

Postby el_guestos » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:34 am

My biggest guide is comfort, what feels comfortable for you is often the best position.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:53 am

I started this year as well and getting the foot straps setup just right is a bit of a pain. Not all straps are created equal I used some adjustable North straps to begin with and they where quite good. I have mine so that I have to work the foot just a little to get out. Getting in is easy once you get the hang of it.

I still have not found a good setup for when I am in boots.

dwhite468
Rare Poster

Postby dwhite468 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I had a look at mine again last night and compared my foot position in the strap to some pictures and videos of racers. My foot is definitely a lot further under the strap than most. I have adjusted them as much as I can so my foot is still in the same position but the strap sits further down, I will see how this goes.

Cheers

David

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 pm

FrederikS wrote:I still have not found a good setup for when I am in boots.
I haven't found any boots that work with the raceboards yet. Fin socks keep you warm and make it easy getting in and out of the straps, but without a hard sole they only last a few sessions on the raceboard. Getting in and out of the straps and walking around on the non-skid deck tears them up pretty quick.

I'm struggling with straps on my new board. It came with Cabrinha straps, and I had purchased a different model of Cabrinha straps and they both have issues. I keep getting my back foot stuck in when I tack.

Ordered some NSI straps to try them out, I'll let you know how it goes when I get them. They seem to be what many top racers use.

It is kind of counterintuitive, but if my feet are getting stuck in the straps I make the straps tighter. That way less of your foot goes into the strap.

dwhite468
Rare Poster

Postby dwhite468 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Yeah tightening the straps is what I have done, hopefully this will help. My problem is I have big feet so I can only have them so tight before my feet are pushed off the side of the board. I now have the straps as far in as I can get them and as tight as they will go before my heel is hanging too far off the side of the board. Seem about right in my living room but we will see what happens out on the water!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 pm

two things. I set mine up tight. I use hard straps...windsurf kine.

This years naish board have actually done something that was missing before..they have build up winder the toes. It takes off a lot of the pressure on your ankle.
Heel should be off the board..lean out more and you should be fine :-) :thumb:

dwhite468
Rare Poster

Postby dwhite468 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:16 am

tautologies, cheers for the tips.

When you say heels should be off the side of the board, roughly how far? One thing I often struggle with is my heels dragging in the water and pulling the board round (usually end up in near crash moment!)

Is this just because I’m not riding the fins enough or are my feet two far out? I have a feeling it’s that I’m just not pushing hard enough on the fins, I see videos of the top boys going hard and their heels are off the side like you say but the board is riding slightly out of the water. I can do this but not very consistently.... I guess it more practise, practise, practise!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 am

tautologies wrote:two things. I set mine up tight. I use hard straps...windsurf kine.

This years naish board have actually done something that was missing before..they have build up winder the toes. It takes off a lot of the pressure on your ankle.
Heel should be off the board..lean out more and you should be fine :-) :thumb:
I found the deck too flat, both for waterstarting and riding.
I think the latest boards have more ergonomic rail shapes - like windsurf boards.

I cut a pair of dakine pads in half and cut a wedge-shaped piece of foam out, then stuck the top surface back down so the pad was sloped. Its hard to explain it exactly but its done so that the pad is comfortable with your heel on the deck. I just want the board for light wind across the wind using three 25cm fins.

I had to use twintip straps because of the extra height of the pad and windsurf straps were not big enough.

I haven't used the board with the pads yet but the pads and straps are a comfortable fit.
Just thought I'd post a photo since you mention the flat deck being a strain on the ankles.

When windsurfing, I set the straps to fit just at the top of the slope on the top of my foot and sometimes have to wiggle the foot slack in preparation for taking it out if I've been pushing hard with a lot of power as the foot then slides a little inside the boot and has gone a bit further in.
Attachments
IMGP0368.JPG
Last edited by ronnie on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:30 am

I just got the NSI light weight straps for my north 2012 which has a modern curved rail shape. The NSI straps where easy to get the fit just right on. A little wiggle before a tack and they are easy to get in to.

Return to “Kitesurfing”