superpak101
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2014 Liquid Force NRG

Postby superpak101 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 am

Hey wayne5000:

How much do you weigh? Are you powered enough in 8 to 9 kts on your lightwind board to stay up wind and do jumps or roles?

Just trying to gauge the low end of the 14m NRG from people who have some experience flying it.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2014 Liquid Force NRG

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:07 am

Rider: 90kg
3rd seaso
Style: some waves, cruising and a few jumps.
Weather: 0-15knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: pay for my own kites. The reason I purchased this kite was to mow the lawn below 10 knots of wind. This review is to describe my experience when the conditions are below 10 Knots and the launch experience.

The wind measure is taken from the near surf club. Everyone knows how difficult is to guess the light wind speed when kiteing

My Comments: Out of the bag the kite weight is 5 Kg. It took 95 pumps to reach 8psi.The best pump (included with new kite) I have own.

This is my 3rd NRG kite (10 and 12 2013 NRG kites) and my new 16 meter 2014 NRG. I can see the kite material is better than 2013.The lines are thicker than last year.

What I didn't like about the 2103 model are the bridles to long, the safety chicken loop and it was easy to get sand inside the inflation valve when folding the kite on windy days.

They have added a neoprene cover for the intake valve and the bridles are shorter.

The 1st time I flown the kite the winds were below 8 knots of wind. The 1st launch ( 23 meter lines) was easy and I was able to go down wind but the wind died. Later the wind picked and I added the 7 meter extension lines to help with the light wind conditions. I was able to reverse launch, practice kite loops but not kite. If I had a big race kite board I could have mow the lawn because the kite was able to stay on the air.

The second time I flown the kite the winds were between 10 and 15 knots. I was on a 134x47cm Mako 160 Ocearn Rodeo and North 11 free ride board The kite does everything exceptional for my style.

The 3rd time I flown the kite the winds were between 8 to 12 knots. I was on a North 11 free race board and using 30 meter lines.
I was able to go up wind when the wind was at its lowest speed. I did notice the other kiter on a 17 meter kite was not able to go upwind on a surfboard. I don't think the NRG would stay on the air if the wind drops below 7.

The kite turned fast for a big kite and was easy to jump when the winds were above 10 Knots.

Between 8 to 10 knots the kite was easy to turns which helped me getting speed.

Conclusion:

I can mow the lawn and play on the waves from 8 Knots. I could not get the bridles to tangle after I dropped the kite a few times. I can jump higher than before. I hope the kite will last a long time due to the new material.

If the kite is WET and below 8 knots the kite would not relaunch from the water.

Would I buy another NRG kites YES.

There are other light wind kites that would fly below 8 Knots .

If I have money to buy another light wind kite I think I will try the velocity from Cabrinha or the new ozone zephyr 17m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swpJKuBZ ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Kitesurfing”