All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Switch bar - controller 2 - tested
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:27 am 
Medium Poster

So after about 10 hours on the water here are my impressions -

very good quality, the lines are thick and look like they will last a long time.
The bar is not the lightest, made of alu, but very well made, very thin with a great rubber grip thats easy to hold for hours on the water (also soon with gloves). the weight is soon forgotten on the water when the kite is in the air, and i know the bar will not break in half which a lot of carbon bars do, it feels well made and very solid.

In comparision to my last bars….slingshot, kite factory, gaastra x bar, the switch is by far the best, it has a very easy feel to it being a V not a Y, it just works better, the bar slides up and down without any resistance making it easy to turn, i have the feeling my kites (airush lithium, slingshot rev, naish park) all have lighter bar pressure now. The stopper was a bit strange at first after the slingshot, but after the first hour its excellent, just pull it into place and when the wind is too much just push the stopper with the bar and up it goes out of the way, easy and safe.

I have had to release 4 times now, and with the bar its very easy to release (big easy to find), and the relaunch is very easy with no tangles in the lines (it could of coarse just be luck), the chicken loop release is easy to put together but not as easy as my old gaastra bar but that bar is the best and quickest i know in that respect. i needed two hands to reassemble it, with a bit of practice it is a really nice design and easy to use.

What else can i say, i like the bar very very much, it does not have o shit handles (and to be honest i never used then on my old bars!) and the color being black and blue takes a little getting used to, gaastra has got black and white - white is always right, by switch is black now right….

Oh yea the swivel on the front lines - you can turn it by hand but it does not seem to turn on it own, but not problem you can just turn the chicken loop and easily unwind the front lines.

The parts are also very cheap and available, unlike from slingshot or other firms making too much on just keeping the bar going…

Now that i love the bar maybe in a few years when my kites need replacing i will look at switch kites if they are as good as the bar - then I've found my next kites

p.s. no i don't work for Switch, just ride for fun, for as cheaply as possible with good quality, and yes in the case of the bar the quality and price are great….

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Switch bar - controller 2 - tested
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:34 pm 
Medium Poster

Use some silicon spray on the swivel. Best turning swivel I had as of yet.

It could use an estethic makeover though. Functionality is great, shit just works as it should, but people buy with their eyes too, and a lot of bars nowadays are starting to look really sleek. (Too bad a lot of that sleek stuff breaks... )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I also just got the Switch bar and can confirm the same. Great feel on the hands I love the rubber grip instead of the usual EVA foam.

I had to quick release twice in sketchy situations and worked perfectly each time.

The have both 45-50 cm bar and 55-60 cm bar which is great! And I love that you can adjust the length of the loop by just turning it. Magic!

US$ 55 for a bar only (include floats) and $34 for a full chicken loop (except depower line) is an honest price, which is unheard of for kite bars.

Their website was a standout, I think the major brands should learn from it - clear, tons of clear videos explaining how the stuff works, no hype or clutter and minimal use of Flash. Super easy to place an order.

Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sarc wrote:
And I love that you can adjust the length of the loop by just turning it. Magic!
Huh? Please explain further.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sarc wrote:
The have both 45-50 cm bar and 55-60 cm bar which is great!

They do? I can only see one option for the bar on the website.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:38 am 
Frequent Poster

http://switchkites.com/barincludingfloatsv2-678.html
the large bar...

terrie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Oh nice! I might just be dumb, but I cant see where you can buy complete in the large size. Ill email switch.

Ive been trying to coble together something with a naish bar that fell apart on me, I think id be better off just buying one of these!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:24 pm 
Medium Poster

Hmm...Wonder if this is the new bar for the new line of light wind kites they will soon be releasing, including the 18m kite?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:58 pm 
Medium Poster

NHKitesurfer wrote:
Hmm...Wonder if this is the new bar for the new line of light wind kites they will soon be releasing, including the 18m kite?

Those should fly fine on the old bar. There had been no announcement for a new LW bar.

Would be nice though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Oldnbroken wrote:
sarc wrote:
And I love that you can adjust the length of the loop by just turning it. Magic!
Huh? Please explain further.

The size of the chicken loop can be changed from large (easy unhook) to small (hooked, more sheeting range for your arms) by twisting the black loop around. It really works. They have a video explaining it under chicken loop section.

They have 2 bars, one is 5cm longer than the other - I bought the bigger one, I measured the back line to back line distance at 58cm in the larger setting. The size shows as menu option when you buy the bar on the website.

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next