All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fuel 9m2 + Rally ?m2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:12 am 
Frequent Poster

Hello fellow balloonists

I ride a 2012 9m2 Fuel as a crossover freestyle/wavekite. I would like another smaller kite ONLY for waveriding and i think a Rally would be ideal. But is a 7 the right size to go for? Have no idea if the Rally starts really early and the Fuel "ends really late" so a 6 m2 Rally would be better??

Any info highly appreciated :)

85 kg and ride a strapped 6'0 Wam :oops:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Fuel 9m2 + Rally ?m2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I felt like the fuel 9m was pretty normal for a 9m. 7m rally would probably be fine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rally has the power of a fuel 1.5m larger, and top end of a Fuel 1.5m smaller. They are not the quickest kites in the air, but stable and predictable with nearly complete shut off at the bar. I think of mine as a conditions tamer. When its a little too scary to put up a fuel, the Rally makes it anticlimactic. That's not a knock, when it gets gnarly, or you would rather think about the waves, its exactly what I want. A simple sheet and go kite on the bottom end there is surprising power, but at the same time a hard low end minimum. They are beefy with small wingtips so don't fly very well underpowered. Even at 9m they don't reward being worked around like a fuel. Im 175-180 lbs and use the 9 as a big kite for waves 15-25 knots or go to in gusty winds or cold water. There is a lot of overlap with 11 and 7m fuels.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:33 pm 
Frequent Poster

Was riding Rally's for one season (9+7) in waves. It is surely not the best choice for wave-only riding. I have switched to Ozone Reo's and they feel so good on a wave. Much more stable, better depower, faster turning even super depowered.

I think most of wave kites are similar, I have heard good things about Drifter / Cabrinha, Religion / RRD. You better try them before going for Rally.

Rally is a good freeride kite — easy, always on, always pulling, nice lift for strapless freestyle. Reo is harder to pilot for sure, but on a wave you feel blessed, because you don't feel the kite. Still you have an option to turn on the kite and ride away.

[ 4 posts ]