All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Toe Side Riding
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:35 am 
Medium Poster

Hi Guys, when riding toe side is it better to have a harness with a spreader bar hook that slides so that the harness loop is closer to your hip once popped onto toe? Or should a fixed position spreader bar hook work the same more or less if using right technique? Thanks in advance.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Toe Side Riding
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:15 am 
Frequent Poster

I haven't tried the sliding hook, I'm sure that would help. But if you have a quick release on your spreader bar that is weak riding toeside may cause an unintentional release of one side of the spreader bar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

GregWoj wrote:
Hi Guys, when riding toe side is it better to have a harness with a spreader bar hook that slides so that the harness loop is closer to your hip once popped onto toe? Or should a fixed position spreader bar hook work the same more or less if using right technique? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's better to have a sliding hook. If you don't have one, you have to fight the pull of the kite that wants to twist you back. You can temporarily loosen your harness and let the spreader hook to slip around to feel what it's like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

edt wrote:
GregWoj wrote:

Yes, it's better to have a sliding hook. If you don't have one, you have to fight the pull of the kite that wants to twist you back. You can temporarily loosen your harness and let the spreader hook to slip around to feel what it's like.

yea, sliding seems better toeside to me as well but you do not want it to slide too far over as you will lose some depower throw at the bar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:02 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll try the harness a bit loose(er) next time out. In terms of spreader bar sliders that have some movement to them but don't go too far over: Is the dakine hammerhead a good choice (I have a pyro harness with the hammerhead fixed hook position)? From the pictures of it, it seems to have a little movement to it but wont slide fully over to the hip.

My biggest challenge is the kite power wanting to pull me back around so the board moves to the front edge and I wow the crowds with some spectacular faceplants. Sometimes, however, I can set the edge nice and cruise for a bit so perhaps its my technique and that I just need to practice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:21 pm 
Medium Poster

Hey Greg, as the others have said a sliding spreader will help in some ways but don't think its going to magically make your toeside riding amazing ;-) With good technique you'll be able to ride along toeside full powered, edging hard, completely in control. Like most things its just technique, practice and some trial and error.

You're best bet is to work on fixing any body position mistakes which are holding you back. From what you've said one or more of these might help:
  1. # Bend your legs - too many people end up standing very upright riding toeside and this makes it hard to twist at your waist but also adapt to changes in the wind and water conditions.
  2. # Weight on your front foot - probably the most common mistake for people riding toeside is trying to ride like they do heelside with more weight over their back foot. You want to experiment with putting more weight on your front foot than you might think you need. In reality you will probably have more weight over your back foot but it should feel like more weight is over your front foot - this allows you to maintain speed and thus have more control.
  3. # Twist at the waist - try and keep you knees pointing into the wind and twist your body from your waist upwards. If you are twisting your body from your ankles upwards you will lost the ability to keep your legs in the correct position so they can keep the board edging consistently (legs bend, bending when necessary to absorb chop or waves).

Hope some of this helps. Don't not get a sliding spreader bar but just remember that there are hell of a lot of people with fixed spreaders who can riding toeside amazingly well, so it more that achievable for anyone :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:03 am 
Frequent Poster

avoid bending at the waist and sticking butt out, push towards water and upwind with stomach and harness bar. drive / push back shin and knee down and towards water (like pressing shin into front of ski boot to pressure ball of foot while maintaining body weight directly over rail of board. let the bar out and or adjust tuning and or bear downwind if you have too much pull (not the average problem)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 am 
Frequent Poster

Having never used one i'm not a 100% but i always got the impression they were designed for wave riding. To get one for riding toeside would be lazy and wastefull (unless u ride around toeside all day long) as it's purely a technique thing. Loosening the harness is a better idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

One more tip, make sure you learn to ride toeside both directions.I was lazy and after 13 yrs my toeside riding on my weak side is pathetic! :lame1: You'll probably have a direction that comes more naturally like most.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

pj sofine wrote:
One more tip, make sure you learn to ride toeside both directions.I was lazy and after 13 yrs my toeside riding on my weak side is pathetic! :lame1: You'll probably have a direction that comes more naturally like most.

That is funny. I didn't even realize I have this problem until I read this and then thought through my habbits. I have been practicing my toeside upwind, but its mostly all been left forward toeside. I can ride right forward toeside fine, but habitually just switch to it just before a transition. I am going to work on that to see what problems I may have been avoiding.

My toeside riding instantly got better when I started using my Dynabar spreader bar with the rope and pulley. I am sure that it is a crutch, but it does make things more comfortable and less awkward.

[ 10 posts ]