Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Elitist segregation in kite surfing.

Forum for kitesurfers
laz
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elitist segregation in kite surfing.

Postby laz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:43 am

Yeah I have noticed more and more d bag kiters. Just ignore the BS and say f*ck em.

Spread the good vibes. Create your own scene and people will follow. :wink:

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyfish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:48 am

Sorry.
What I have to remind myself is:
97% of people are good.
To the rest you in the 97%:
I salute you.
You are my friend, and I will share my wave with you.
Last edited by Flyfish on Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 am

Yeah I gave up surfing because of the nutbars in the line up.

Shortboarders are king and better than the longboarders who are better then the stand up guys who are better than the boggy boarders who are better than the body surfer.

Now I blast past the line up of surfers getting 10 waves to their one and I grin hearterly!...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:24 am

RichardM wrote:.
Kamikuza wrote:
RichardM wrote:Regarding PUBLIC recreational resources, the obvious FACT is that NO KITER can claim any more right to use the resource than any other kiter. Regardless of what type of equipment is being used or even whether they are only BODYDRAGGING.
It's funny, when I and others say that public recreation resources are public and nobody can claim priority, bunches of people start in on the "but we kiters have to give way to other beach users because wah wah wah"...

I'm with tr3v on this.
Sorry Kamikuza. You’ll have to try a lot harder to try to turn my statements around. I very carefully stated “NO KITERS...” NOT “nobody”. Keep trying, you might eventually get me.
That's my point.

You can't have it both ways - you can't decide priority by usage, then within a group ignore claims to priority. If you've clearly established a user hierarchy of public resources... then you've got to allocate it within groups as well. Not to do so is inconsistent and not a little insane.

One rule to rule them all - don't be a dick. There's plenty more ocean where that came from.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 am

Kamikuza wrote:

Sorry Kamikuza. You’ll have to try a lot harder to try to turn my statements around. I very carefully stated “NO KITERS...” NOT “nobody”. Keep trying, you might eventually get me.
That's my point.

You can't have it both ways - you can't decide priority by usage, then within a group ignore claims to priority. If you've clearly established a user hierarchy of public resources... then you've got to allocate it within groups as well. Not to do so is inconsistent and not a little insane.

One rule to rule them all - don't be a dick. There's plenty more ocean where that came from.
You've accidentally overlooked a basic point. I don't "decide priority by usage". I only accept the REALITY that IF an AUTHORITY must prioritize usage because of perceived conflict between different users, then kiters will necessarily almost ALWAYS be at the bottom. This being the case, kiters should go out of their way to AVOID any CONFLICT with non-kiters, which essentially means DON'T INTERFERE WITH NON-KITERS ENJOYMENT IN ANY RESPECT.

Although "One rule to rule them all - don't be a dick." makes a nice little sound byte, it doesn't do ANYTHING as far as presenting a solution to the a$$holes who ignore it and act like dicks.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 am

RichardM wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:

That's my point.

You've accidentally overlooked a basic point. I don't "decide priority by usage". I only accept the REALITY that IF an AUTHORITY must prioritize usage because of perceived conflict between different users, then kiters will necessarily almost ALWAYS be at the bottom. This being the case, kiters should go out of their way to AVOID any CONFLICT with non-kiters, which essentially means DON'T INTERFERE WITH NON-KITERS ENJOYMENT IN ANY RESPECT.

Although "One rule to rule them all - don't be a dick." makes a nice little sound byte, it doesn't do ANYTHING as far as presenting a solution to the a$$holes who ignore it and act like dicks.

Richard M.
You need to work on your bolding, it's getting confusing ;)

I vote we get you to stand on the beach with a bright orange flag and whistle and hand out tickets to people who act like dicks. We'll even let you decide on the rules and regulations, sub-regulations, exceptions and exemptions and then codify them into a system that allocates points according to infringement. Seems that's the sort of thing you're interested in :roll: Let me guess - you're a truck driver, aren't you?

Seriously, stop dragging knuckles and if people are being dicks, tell them - without being a dick. Why is it so difficult to behave like an adult?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 am

I see one problem with the don't be a dick rule.

People will have a different impression of what being a dick. Certainly the biggest dick on the beach will have no trouble telling you how much of a dick you have been getting in his way while he surfs his elitist priority all over the place.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 am

Kamikuza wrote:
RichardM wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:

Richard M.
You need to work on your bolding, it's getting confusing ;)

I vote we get you to stand on the beach with a bright orange flag and whistle and hand out tickets to people who act like dicks. We'll even let you decide on the rules and regulations, sub-regulations, exceptions and exemptions and then codify them into a system that allocates points according to infringement. Seems that's the sort of thing you're interested in :roll: Let me guess - you're a truck driver, aren't you?

Seriously, stop dragging knuckles and if people are being dicks, tell them - without being a dick. Why is it so difficult to behave like an adult?
How could you be confused about the bolding in my last post? It's as minimal as it ever gets.

The fact is that my suggestion for ROW rules is by far the simplest and easiest solution. Perhaps you'd care to explain how you'd solve the problems that would inevitably arise from the vagueness of a "rule" that specifies "don't be a dick". For example, for all we know, your definition of being a "dick" is when someone else annoys you, but NOT if you annoy someone else.

Richard M.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:40 am

Yen I get what Richard is saying. (Although I'm not sure he is on thread point)

Simply, avoid at all costs pissing the general public off, especially other water users.

I agree. If crew are surfing I stay the f*** out of their way, especially as they need to sit generally on one take off point.

And of course beach goers and swimmers but we all know that by now.

Not sure what that has to do with elitist Guys thinking that because they have suddenly discovers the holy grail of surfboard riding which crew like myself (and now there is a whole bunch of us) were doing 14 years ago.

Just don't be a dick.

Example. Was out just me and my mako and a strapless rider (a euro dude and doing really well). He suddenly went the opposite direction to what we were riding as the wave formed up really well, he was coming at me, I saw he needed to stay a line, so I cranked off downwind and gave him room.

He actually came up to me in his broken English and thanked me after. And we commented how much fun it was and how good were the waves and all that shit and that if I hadn't got out of the way is was destined to really eat shit on a head high and above wave. We had a good old laugh, because he would have eaten shit BIG TIME.

Anyhow we got a good rhythm and kept smiling as we passed each other, even caught a few monsters together. Couple of TTs hit is with us and a few other SBs and we had a ball.

Now that is fun you fuckwits. No priority, no fucken elitist crap. A few crew were accidental dicks, but hey not everyone is as good as each other on a kite. Give em a break.

But...

The was one nob jockey TT riding back and forth just before the break and getting in the way big time. He's been kiting a while, but, well he is a dick. So we had a quiet chat with him afterwards and he agreed his riding was dickish, we had a laugh and all is good.

Kiting is about fun, freedom, getting that shit out of your system. Last thing we need is some egotistic Kelly slater wannabys who have discovered kiting bringing their shit to our breaks.

I can't speak for everyone, but I say it again, don't bring that shit to our breaks. We already put up with it when surfing.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:20 pm

KamiKevin,
You want to have a laugh at some FoNt CraZynEss and some Bolding Abuse?...
...Click on the MalibuKitesurfing website link.
Holy Moses!! :crazy:

Return to “Kitesurfing”