I’m sorry to continue the off-topic content, but I don’t understand the hostility regarding EMPHASIS in printed communication.Oldnbroken wrote:KamiKevin,
You want to have a laugh at some FoNt CraZynEss and some Bolding Abuse?...
...Click on the MalibuKitesurfing website link.
Communication experts say that less then 20% of VERBAL information is communicated via the actual WORDS used. The other 80%+ is communicated via NON VERBAL signals such as tone, volume, inflection, facial expression and body language. You can see this effect yourself the next time someone asks you a yes or no question by nodding your head while saying “no” or shaking your head while saying “yes”.
Not only are all the foregoing ques missing from printed communications, but many people would prefer to SKIM stuff to get through it as quickly as possible. In these cases, someone may only take the time to read more carefully IF they’ve seen something while skimming which attracted their attention. This effect becomes more important the less attention the writer expects the reader to be paying in the first place.
Although, it is possible to overdo emphasis in print, just like in an obnoxious radio or TV ad, the DIFFERENCE is that you can’t shut off your ears. On the other hand, if you find emphasis in print too visually obnoxious, YOU DON’T HAVE TO READ IT.
In most of my forum posts I take the EXTRA TIME AND EFFORT to add VARIOUS types of emphasis in an attempt to both make it easier to skim AND less subject to MISINTERPRETATION. In fact, I’ve frequently wondered whether a certain amount of the hostility towards emphasis (on the forums) is due to a frustrated desire to DELIBERATELY misinterpret the content in order to promote a different opinion.
It might be noted that I don't use smileys which are ALSO a way to add emphasis to print but usually in a more VAGUE way.
My post was drifting off topic in response to Kamikuza’s accidental misinterpretation of my posts regarding prioritizing beach usage.
However, the reason why I raised the issue of who has the ROW, is because if waveriders could NOT claim to have the ROW, then 90%+ of their reasons to whine about other kiters would evaporate since THEY would be obligated to AVOID the other kiters rather than vice-a-versa.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)