North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can baby powder hurt my bladders?

Postby dandaka » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:37 pm

I've always used baby powder to put bladders in place. Few times heard, that it is bad for bladders. Can someone confirm / confute this statement?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Can baby powder hurt my bladders?

Postby cglazier » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Baby powder doesn't hurt anything, it just makes a mess... and is of little value. I have done over a hundred bladder replacements and we never use it. Bladders easily slide inside kite fabric without it.

It is one of those myths that are hard to dispel like people who believe you should rinse your kite with fresh water after every use (don't bother).

:wink: CG

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks

Postby southflorida » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:59 pm

I've repaired bladders using talcum powder (aka baby powder) for LE bladder insertion. I still have those kites repaired years ago, and never a problem. So, no "hurt" going on with mine.

In a pinch I've not used talcum, and was able to successfully insert LE bladder on first try...so yeah, maybe not absolutely needed? It does seem to make the bladder slide around a lot when you stack it in accordion form before insertion, so it does serve a 'lube' purpose. If everything is 100% dry and I've got the talcum on hand, I'll use it, otherwise can get by without.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:07 pm

dandaka wrote:I've always used baby powder to put bladders in place. Few times heard, that it is bad for bladders. Can someone confirm / confute this statement?
it's not bad at all for the bladders the problem is when you get a hole, and need to do a repair, the baby powder is all over the bladder, so if you just do a regular stick with tear air or a fix it valve, it will peel off. On a regular bladder, you can just use rubbing alcohol to clean, but on a bladder with baby powder I will always make sure to lightly sand the bladder before fixing a hole, it not only gets the powder off so your patch will stick, it also gives you a better mechanical adhesion -- which I guess is something you should do every repair, but it is especially important if a bladder has powder on it, make sure you sand it before a patch.

Short answer -- no it's not bad for the bladder, but it will mean when you do your next patch you have to make sure to get all the powder off so your patch will stick.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 pm

funny, i use to drop baby powder into the bladder to the stop air leakage from small holes

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 pm

I have changed struts and bladders and always use normal talc. Definitely makes it easier to insert back, slides nicely. No issue with the talc and just use sparingly not saturated.

Tip.... I learnt to always ensure all sand a small shell fragments are shaken out of the bladder and struts fabric.

Return to “Kitesurfing”